Safe Reading

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Just interested to know what is the safest lowest BS reading to go to bed with? Type 1 nearly 4 years diagnosed at 55 years old. No DAFNE courses in my area, learnt everything I know from Think like a Pancreas and you wonderful people on here :) thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Last Wednesday I went to bed with BG of 11.1 and woke up at 3:25 with the sweats and BG 3.1 ! No idea why this happened - I only took my normal amount of insulin in the evening.

Looking at my figures over recent weeks I seem to drop anything between 1 to 3 mmol/L overnight. Don't think anyone can state categorically that there is a 'safe' figure because we are all different. Do you have any idea what your own BG figures are (usually) doing overnight ?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i am quite happy going to bed 5 hours post bolus on a 5.0 or a bit more

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I like to err on the safe side as my D is unpredictable so always like to be above 6

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends how consistent your BG is normally - the range between high and low it normally keeps in with your normal control. For people lucky enough to have a consistent range, that's auch easier Q. I like to be not below 5.0. But my BGs are pretty steady at the mo.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all many thanks for your replies. I was originally told no less than 7, but I find I'm usually high in the mornings even taking into account dawn phenomenon. I seem to be ok on 6, but was curious as to what others think or have been advised as to what is safe :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am happy on 6, anything else lower then I would be a little concerned. It also depends on what I have eaten for dinner.

Best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On MDI my bg wouldn't move more than 1mmol when the basal dose was right so always strived to go to bed with levels below 7 but above 5.6mmol, on a pump now it doesn't move more than 0.5 so I feel that bit safer going to bed on levels of 5 but not below..

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It all depends on how much your basal drops your readings over time, and if you feel like your levels are apt to change based on injections close to bed time.

Personally, i get nightmares if sugars drop below 4.5mmol/L. Throughout the day i am totally fine at 4.5mmol/L but if they are 4.5 or lower while I am sleeping i tend to have very vivid, strange dreams, usually nightmares lol

So i usually make sure that I go to bed at a reading around 6.5mmol/l and that usually holds pretty steady through the night and i wake up around 6

Last edited by a moderator:

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
On MDI my bg wouldn't move more than 1mmol when the basal dose was right so always strived to go to bed with levels below 7 but above 5.6mmol, on a pump now it doesn't move more than 0.5 so I feel that bit safer going to bed on levels of 5 but not below..
That s nice i try for a bed time BG about a 7 or 8 but only been pumping 6 weeks and i don't want to charge to much at this stage.
basal OK 8 before bed and 8.4 in the morning i know that its my bolus wizard over correcting . so a BG of 12 will end up at 6.. i will change this when i have talked to my lovely DSN