Sanitizing for Fingerstick while Travelling

KaseyCoff

Hi there! Does anyone know of a convenient, portable cleanser that will:

1) sterilize the area to be tested for blood glucose;
2) not leave any kind of residue (especially that won't interfere with an accurate reading);
3) not require the use of water;
4) come in a container smaller than the 3.4-oz / 100g size limit for flying?

I might not always have soap and water handy. I thought about carrying a small bottle of diluted peroxide or alcohol with me, but that wouldn't be as convenient a solution as some kind of pre-moistened wipes or small tube of dispensable waterless cleanser. And of course it's particularly important that whatever chemicals are in it don't cause the meter to give a false reading.

Any suggestions?
:)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try baby wipes
Do a sample test at home to see if you get correct results.
I NEVER bother to clean the skin. I assume that the blood coming out will wash the "puncture" clean. My Freesyle Lite only needs a drop smaller than a pinhead .
Hana

Defren

Sorry if this is 'not the done thing' but if I have no access to water, I stick my finger in my mouth and clean it that way. Gross? Maybe, but it does the job. :oops: :lol:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I carry a small platic pump cpntainer from super drug and some tissues - that way I always can clean a finger. I've never seen the need to use soap when out and about.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
Sorry if this is 'not the done thing' but if I have no access to water, I stick my finger in my mouth and clean it that way. Gross? Maybe, but it does the job. :oops: :lol:

Even if I have access to water, I still use saliva, before, and then afterwards to stop the bleeding. Can't beat a bit of spit.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At home always wash with soap and water, if out and about and not nearby any washing places, then don't bother just do it. Unless coved obviously in something dirty. Never affects my levels

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I'm a cross between Hana and borofergie in that I rarely wash my hands before testing unless they are dirty or clearly contaminated, and I usually give my finger a quick suck and lick to stem the blood and clean any blood from the area afterwards, I haven't died yet and cant recall the last time I got a suspect reading.

I'm also guilty of being lax in changing lancets, I use the multiclix cartridge system and only advance the cartridge when I remember which is not that often :oops: I am not advising anyone do as I do, I am just confessing :|

I'm not a slob, really :D

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I plan to take baby wipes with me and will use them to clean hands before testing as will not have safe water to test with.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm out and about with small grandchildren quite a lot and find baby wipes excellent. they clean hands before eating. I always clean my hands after changing a nappy too! :shock: When I was a young Mum, they came in individual sachets, which was perfect for keeping in my handbag. Now Ipull a few out of a pack and put them into a ziplock bag.
Hana

KaseyCoff

Thanx, one and all, for your responses. I ended up with sterilized 'wound wipes' from Boots. They came in individual packets, and were a handy size to slip a couple into the meter pouch. Most of the time I had access to soap, water, whatever, but the few times I didn't, they worked a treat.

:wink: