Sardines/Pilchards

pedro606

I know I should be eating more of this type of stuff but I find it boring. Does anyone have a good, simple, idea on a lunch meal using sardines or pilchards PLEASE!

I have stocked up my pantry with them on 'special deals' from Asda.

Thanks,

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Pete.
Try these. all quick and simple.

1. Heat up Sardines/Pilchards and then place in/on omelette.

2. S/P on buttered lo-carb bread sprinkled with chives.

3. S/P cold with small salad. Lettuce, tom's. cucumber etc.

4. Cheese toast with S/P spread on top.

Can't guarantee you will like the taste though. :lol:

Ken

pedro606

Thanks. Certainly quick and simple!!

I might even try them for breakfast.

I am getting a bit bored with my breakfasts now. I do miss the cerials and fruit and then just adding milk and 'Bob's your uncle'! I must admit to falling to temptation the other day. I was eager then to check my BS after one hour and it had shot up to 9.0 Hasn't been that high since I started to cut down drastically on carbs-- so that taught me a lesson and proved that cutting down on carbs does work!

Back to sardines though. Cannot imagine having them in an omelette for brekkers-- doesn't stack up to me that one.

Still persevering,

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
pedro606 said:
Back to sardines though. Cannot imagine having them in an omelette for brekkers-- doesn't stack up to me that one.

Still persevering,

Pete

You do HAVE to like all things Fish - I do. SORRY. :D :D

pedro606

Yea, I guess you're right!

I used to love fish and chips from my local chippy- especially a take-away on a Saturday afternoon and then sit down and watch all the sport. Pickled onions and gherkins at the ready!

Talking of pickled onions and gherkins. I bought some price reduced pastrami in Asda yesterday and then had some with cheese and onions and gherkins. Wow, I was in seventh heaven! Had to really control myself and not ruin it all by having some crusty bread with it! I avaoided the temptation hard as it was.

Blow it! I am going to have that agin now and leave the sardines till tomorrow!

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Pete.

i'm with you on the Fish & Chips......Ah, a far distant memory :lol: :lol: :lol:

chocoholic

Years ago, my mother used to make something called Salmon Puffs. Just a medium size tin of salmon mashed up with 2 beaten eggs, a spoonful of flour and seasoning and quickly fried on both sides. They were one of my childhood favourites. I expect you could try those with sardines instead of salmon and if you want to omit the flour, there must be a low-carb alternative. Ground almonds perhaps? Hmm. Doesn't sound right but you could give it a go.

pedro606

chocoholic said:
Years ago, my mother used to make something called Salmon Puffs. Just a medium size tin of salmon mashed up with 2 beaten eggs, a spoonful of flour and seasoning and quickly fried on both sides. They were one of my childhood favourites. I expect you could try those with sardines instead of salmon and if you want to omit the flour, there must be a low-carb alternative. Ground almonds perhaps? Hmm. Doesn't sound right but you could give it a go.

I never knew that 'ground almonds' could be used as an alternative for flour. Is that a general recommendation?

Thanks,

Pete

chocoholic

It makes a great substitiute for flour in Fergus's cake recipe and some folk have come up with other biscuity treats using ground almonds too. They're all on here somewhere.I'm sure I read that some folks even use this substitute in pancake mixes too.Be warned though, ground almonds are not cheap.

Trinkwasser

I toast almonds in a dry pan, they go well with fish.

Which reminds me, I bought some smoked cod's roe. Spread thickly on an oatcake (I used to use water biscuits but can't handle them any more) with toasted almonds pressed into the top. Beats the hell out of caviar.

You could try crushing up or chopping the almonds after toasting them, that might work

pedro606

I had the sardines this morning for brekkers. I ate them straight from the tin. They were in a spiced tomato sauce and were not too bad really. I would have loved some crusty bread with them but that would have defeated the object, I fear.

I doubt whether I will make a habit of it though!

What about kippers- they were a very common breakfast dish years ago. The bones used to put me off though. I doubt whether my wife would approve of cooking them though as the smell would cling to the clothes, curtains etc etc and stay around for ages!

Pete

pedro606

Thanks for that link. Some very good looking and easy recipes on that! For me EASY is the operative word!

cheers, Pete

Trinkwasser

Yes kippers make an excellent breakfast but mainly when you can open the kitchen window while cooking them.

Tonight we had smoked haddock with broad beans. There's enough haddock left over for tomorrow's breakfast, I'll have it with salad and an oatcake.

Then there's a bloater in the fridge, that'll do for another breakfast. That time of day I don;t particularly care if my food is staring back at me

pedro606

I think what I will do is set one breakfast a week aside when I will have my tin of sardines. I think that should do my fish intake OK for the week, hopefully.

Pete

salsasue

Reply with quote Re: Sardines/Pilchards
by cugila on March 31st, 2009, 12:17 pm

Hi Pete.
Try these. all quick and simple.

1. Heat up Sardines/Pilchards and then place in/on omelette.

2. S/P on buttered lo-carb bread sprinkled with chives.

3. S/P cold with small salad. Lettuce, tom's. cucumber etc.

4. Cheese toast with S/P spread on top.

/quote]

Thanks for the ideas, cugila! Lucky to love S/P and certainly hadn't thought of placing in/on omelette, that sounds yummy so must give a go :) Might pass on the cheese toast idea tho' :lol:

regards, salsasue

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
This just has to be one of my fave foods. Esay to prepare too. Thanks cugila (got you name right this time :D ) those look simple, just what I need and as I like cheese too that's one I will try.

D.

Anneski

pedro606 said:
I had the sardines this morning for brekkers. I ate them straight from the tin. They were in a spiced tomato sauce and were not too bad really. I would have loved some crusty bread with them but that would have defeated the object, I fear.

I doubt whether I will make a habit of it though!

What about kippers- they were a very common breakfast dish years ago. The bones used to put me off though. I doubt whether my wife would approve of cooking them though as the smell would cling to the clothes, curtains etc etc and stay around for ages!

Pete

I had kippers yesterday - if you get the Manx style, and grill them on the one side for a few minutes there really isn't an awful lot of smell plus they fillet particularly easily - the top layer lifts off and brings most of the bones in the first fillet with it, so you can scoop the flesh onto your plate, and then the bones in the other fillet stay attached and you can carefully scrape them off in one movement and grab the other fillet, eh voila! Almost bone free kippers, gorrrrrrrrgeous! :D I left the carcass in the grill pan and scoffed the kippers with sliced tomatoes but I did also indulge in a whole can of sweetcorn with it :oops: