1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Saving the planet

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pinkorchid, Feb 13, 2020.

1. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a coal fire and a log burner. After two christmases with no power, I am not parting with either. I already use kiln dried logs. Not used smokeless coal yet but happy to give it ago.

2. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my part of North Wales there is no mains gas so outside the kitchen window are two large gas bottles.
    A lot of people don't realise there are places with no gas ... there are loads of places with no mains sewage too and most of the electricity comes overhead on wooden poles .... too much granite and other rock to be digging through to lay pipework far to many hills and valleys too for liquids to flow easily.

#162 JTL, Mar 8, 2020 at 10:16 AM
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  3. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Not had a powercut for two winters now but we know we'll get some soon enough .... inevitable with electricity on poles so my bottled gas and my wood and coal mean I can remain warm and well fed and actually see my glass of whiskey and paperback.
    Lots of windup torches stashed away and a tranny radio.
    I've even gone to the trouble of buying an old phone that simply plugs in the phone socket needing no mains connection because the phone lines don't go down in power cuts but modern cordless phones which I have are ueless without the base station being plugged in so the old phone is in the shed for whenever it's needed.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I see you are an optimist! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. lindisfel

A room heater with solid fuel and wood should be ok, but with an open fire you must have a good draft. Its using them in built up areas is a problem.
    Just give all your spare cash to restoring peat bogs! ;)
    D.

#165 lindisfel, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:14 PM
  6. lindisfel

Self sufficiency is a great asset.
    D.

7. lindisfel

Battery life has always been poor and I doubt modern batteries are much better than five years. In cold weather their output is poor and their efficiency drops with age.

Not good news for a valuable resource perhaps we all need our personal or community pumped storage systems.
    Or be like the community on Fair Isle, have their own wind turbines and generators and self maintain them. Putting efforts into ecosystem services to balance any carbon use.
    D.

#167 lindisfel, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook