Scar tissue and infusion sites

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I have been on insulin for about 25 years now. I rotate my sites regularly, but still think that I have developed some scar tissue that prevents me from absorbing insulin correctly.

I have one area of my lower abdomen that is basically a no go, it just doesn’t work properly. When I used MDI, I once had a big reaction to an injection there- the site was very swollen and painful and it has never worked as an injection/infusion site since.

My legs also aren’t great candidates, insulin tends to pool under the infusion/injection site unless it’s a very small amount (1-2 units).

Does anyone know if there’s anything that can be done to revive injection/infusion sites. At the moment I feel like I’m overusing my abdomen as it’s the most reliable. However this might burn me in the long term!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Emck To my knowledge I don't believe there is unfortunately.

What delivery system are you using ?

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Emck To my knowledge I don't believe there is unfortunately.

What delivery system are you using ?
I’m currently using the Tandem TSlim x2 with the trusteel infusion sites.

The plastic infusion sites didn’t work for me at all. I seemed to have a bit of an allergy to the teflon cannulas, which caused inflammation and pain at the sites and made absorption even more difficult.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

The plastic infusion sites didn’t work for me at all. I seemed to have a bit of an allergy to the teflon cannulas, which caused inflammation and pain at the sites and made absorption even more difficult.

That was exactly the same as me, my body didn't like the teflon either so was running high with very sore sites, the trusteel is great as no longer have reaction issues but I do get some sore sites from time to time, think it's the same as you that the area has been used before, also have to avoid belt area round my middle as that can cause sore sites. I have tried backside with the trusteel but it can get a bit sore and uncomfortable when sleeping, I also use lower chest from time to time and have heard some try the back of the arm, but most times it's just far easier to use the stomach.

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trusteel has been great for me too and helps me to understand why I found the other sites so difficult at the beginning. I have found that using a tegaderm dressing over the site is really helpful. It keeps it waterproof and stops the cannula from moving under the skin (which I think caused some initial soreness). I get the tegaderm on prescription too, handy as they’re about 50p per dressing.

Maybe I’m just completely unbendy, but I find it really difficult to get the infusion sites on my back/butt. I’m also much more prone to ripping them out if I can’t see where they are.

I’ve never really used my arms for injections/infusions but do feel like they’re probably getting enough use with my CGM.

Finnlee

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a combo of Autosoft 90 and TruSteel.

I find the TruSteel work well on my upper leg where my thigh, butt and hip meet. I've also tried my inner thigh and it worked, but found the outer thigh more comfortable.

When I use my arm, I put it in my upper outer arm, above my CGM. I also sometimes put my CGM on my upper inner arm (so when my arms are at my sides, my CGM is against my ribs) to give my outer arms a break.

I use my lower back/upper butt and I find it very comfortable. But I work from home and often wear elasticated trousers/skirts/PJs, so I don't need to worry about waistbands making it sore.

Reactions: Emck

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
However this might burn me in the long term!
I can't be precise about when things improved but I also injected into my abdomen, for 28 years. It is now 10 years minus 34 days since I last did this. I would say that the "scar tissue" had vanished in maybe as few as 3 years. Hope this gives you hope!

• Friendly
Reactions: Emck