Scared of dilation drops

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.. I have been dreading the eye screening which I have Monday..I suffer with anxiety about certain things and this is really freaking me out about having my eyes dilated. It's not the fact of the test it's just the drops being put in and what it will do to my sight.. I'm probably being so silly about all this but I'm working myself up and even thought of not going which I know I must go...I have been told my eyes will be blurry for few hours and that's what making me panic .. I know I'll just freak out if I can't see much .wish I didn't have this anxiety and I was calmer.. anyone that could give me more info about this I'd appreciate it. Many thanks

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not too bad - sort of like you forgot to put your glasses on you can still see fine just a bit fuzzy - it can sting for a tiny little second when they put the drops in and bright light can hurt a bit for a while so take some sunglasses with you. You can't drive afterwards but anything else you can just go about your day as normal.

You'll be fine it's the first time and the fear of the unknown that's causing you to worry, let the person know you are anxious they will be used to it and will put your mind at ease (())

Reactions: 2 people

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I had it done it was just like the light was way too bright. I did not have any blurriness at all, just needed sunglasses for a few hours. You definitely need someone to drive you though as you will be squinting from bright light. It is not all that bad, I was worried and it was all very underwhelming in the end.:p:cool:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,ve had 3 retinal tests, I only found with the drops that it only very slight stung my eyes for literally a couple of seconds. Also on all occasions, I have never had blurry vision

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's around 15 minute of unpleasantness to ensure you have no condition with your eyes going forward. It wasn't half as bad as I thought - just take some sunglasses for the first hour or so, also if you drive their you will need someone to drive you home probably.

Good luck :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know I'll just freak out if I can't see much

You can still see fine, I've walked home from appointments without any issues, yes there is a slight blurriness that makes reading difficult but other than that you shouldn't notice too much change, as @lovinglife says take some sunglasses with you as your eyes can be sensitive to bright lights whilst the pupils are still dilated.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi.. I have been dreading the eye screening which I have Monday..I suffer with anxiety about certain things and this is really freaking me out about having my eyes dilated. It's not the fact of the test it's just the drops being put in and what it will do to my sight.. I'm probably being so silly about all this but I'm working myself up and even thought of not going which I know I must go...I have been told my eyes will be blurry for few hours and that's what making me panic .. I know I'll just freak out if I can't see much .wish I didn't have this anxiety and I was calmer.. anyone that could give me more info about this I'd appreciate it. Many thanks

I have a diabetes screening appointment today. Honestly, I have not had blurry vision as such, it's the light and bright sunlight in the large pupil that makes it difficult to see, wearing sunglasses afterwards is a great help.
A good thing to try is, humming a song in your head, also saying in your head. 'this will be over very soon', to think of other things and to make them more important :)
Good luck and all the best.
RRB :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can still see :) I find my eyes just feel 'tired' like I've had a bad night. The only difficult thing is reading. You can still go about your normal business and see ok. Just take extra care with things like walking downstairs as it's harder to focus.

Take the sunglasses even if it's not sunny - they help a lot :)

The eye drops sting, but only for a few seconds.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't panic Maxjoe.

I've had three tests now. Each time I've had the drops, but to be honest, afterwards, aside from being light sensitive (so ensure you take decent shades with you - even if it's a dull, wet day, it just felt like my glasses needed a decent clean, and that only lasted a short while.

Like Azure, I usually feel like I didn't sleep well the night before, around my eyes, but it's absolutely fine.

Do tell the technician of your fears and I'm sure she'll try to reassure you herself.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I've read on here before that some people have had the tests without the dilation - I'm afraid I can't remember who/why/when though. Try a few searches in the forum and see if you can find anything, or someone else may be more helpful!

Although as others have all said, you really will be fine x I normally use it as a good excuse for a nap until they're back to normal :)

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for all your messages .they are all comforting to know it's not that bad.. I'm just being silly. I honestly do have a fear of my eyes being blurred .. I'm sure I'll be fine and hope they won't stay blurred for long .. thankyou everyone xx

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not being silly @maxjoe121 - anxiety is a demon when you're facing something new and unknown. Glad we've been able put you more at ease x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You'll be fine @maxjoe121 :)

Anything new is always a bit nerve wracking the first time, but knowing what to expect helps a lot. The blurring really is minimal. Just plan not to have close-up eye work like reading or computer time afterwards.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My sight wasn't blurry.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou all so much feel much easier about it I think eeeeek

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think I've read on here before that some people have had the tests without the dilation - I'm afraid I can't remember who/why/when though. Try a few searches in the forum and see if you can find anything, or someone else may be more helpful!

Although as others have all said, you really will be fine x I normally use it as a good excuse for a nap until they're back to normal :)
I have not had the drops. Three years of hospital eye clinic tests and yearly optician tests and no drops. The leaflet that comes with the appointment letter says that not everybody needs them. I always plan for it though by taking sunglasses.

Good luck @maxjoe121 Things are always worse in our imagination. You will be fine x

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not had the drops. Three years of hospital eye clinic tests and yearly optician tests and no drops. The leaflet that comes with the appointment letter says that not everybody needs them. I always plan for it though by taking sunglasses.

Good luck @maxjoe121 Things are always worse in our imagination. You will be fine x
Hi... I'm sure I will be thankyou... positive thinking

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maxjoe121
I have to admit that, for all these tests, I've not had any change in my sight and the only time I've had to wear sunglasses afterwards has been if it has been sunny and, even then, I think I've only remembered to take sunglasses with me twice!!! ;)

I take a book (normal paper back) to read while I'm waiting, both before and after the drops and actually don't notice any difference.

I'm sure it won't be as bad as you are anticipating so I'll be keeping an eye out for your post on Monday, after the test. Good luck and take care

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so bad.

Just like when one wakes up first time in the morning..?!
Blurry, light sensitivity.. That's it. Soon wear off.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never had burry vision after the drops and I had them a few times when I had my cataracts removed. The only thing I found was that it was really bright when I went out to go home so I did wear sunglasses