Type 1 Scary hypo dream

LouisSunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I have these dreams too. I am type 2 with reactive hypoglycaemia and I’m insulin resistant. I have no medication, just prevent a hypo every two hours. I weigh my food and count my carbs by eating eight meals a day. I wake up shouting out loud. ‍♀️

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have these dreams too. I am type 2 with reactive hypoglycaemia and I’m insulin resistant. I have no medication, just prevent a hypo every two hours. I weigh my food and count my carbs by eating eight meals a day. I wake up shouting out loud. ‍♀️

Hello, & hey. There's something wrong with the cognitive, & the mind plays silly tricks.

Either awake or asleep. The early onset of a hypo for some whilst awake is almost like some form of dementia or being "stoned."

Caravk

Caravk

Not regarding dreams/night time hypos but LouisSunny thought you might find Dr Berg’s short YouTube videos helpful for Type 2 / Insulin Resistance. Eating that often can perpetuate T2 & IR - they are reversible if you follow his protocol. Keto/Low carb & intermittent fasting are T2’s saviour. Hope that helps.

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had scary nightmare hypo episodes when control is knocked off course and my BS is less predictable.

Though I now have much less basal at night because of too many low readings before, it has taken a bit of experimentation under the guidance of a brilliant DSN. However, I had one a few nights back, because though I hadn't managed to eat a proper balanced meal and thought I'd counter-acted this with a piece of toast and lower bolus, I'd guessed wrongly. I've had T1 60 years now and still have to adjust! But once you have a regime that fits your life it does get easier, I promise!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Does anyone else experience similar nightmares when one’s bladder is full in the night?

No, just gotta get up and pee before accidents and new bedding is required :)

Mikesee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,I have experienced at least half a dozen of these weird dreams in the past couple of years.Mine are what I would call a bit disturbing,rather than frightening.The dreams are not identical but all have the same ending,which is a clock counting down incredibly slowly from 10 to zero before waking. Blood sugar levels are always low (between 2-3) but I feel in control and immediately take the actions to remedy the problem.I always think of the countdown as a natural alarm clock and that I am very lucky in that respect.I have been type 1 for over 42 years btw so no greenhorn!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I have these dreams too. I am type 2 with reactive hypoglycaemia and I’m insulin resistant. I have no medication, just prevent a hypo every two hours. I weigh my food and count my carbs by eating eight meals a day. I wake up shouting out loud.

Have you had any further other advice, other than eating to prevent hypos?

Best wishes

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

The main thing about your post is you are still getting overnight hypos.
I was exactly the same as you, I was told to eat frequently to prevent hypos. But the problem was, it didn't!
I found out that was too much and I had to find an alternative treatment.
I did!
A balance of protein, fats, foods that didn't trigger the hypos. Also, intermittent fasting and the most important thing was finding out which foods I was intolerant to.
And then avoiding them.
If you have any questions, please do ask.

Best wishes, it might stop those bad dreams.