1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Scary hypo dream

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by hypopippa, Feb 18, 2020.

1. LouisSunny

LouisSunny Type 2 · Member

Hi, I have these dreams too. I am type 2 with reactive hypoglycaemia and I’m insulin resistant. I have no medication, just prevent a hypo every two hours. I weigh my food and count my carbs by eating eight meals a day. I wake up shouting out loud. ‍♀️

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, & hey. There's something wrong with the cognitive, & the mind plays silly tricks.

Either awake or asleep. The early onset of a hypo for some whilst awake is almost like some form of dementia or being "stoned."

3. Caravk

Caravk · Newbie

4. Caravk

Caravk · Newbie

Not regarding dreams/night time hypos but LouisSunny thought you might find Dr Berg’s short YouTube videos helpful for Type 2 / Insulin Resistance. Eating that often can perpetuate T2 & IR - they are reversible if you follow his protocol. Keto/Low carb & intermittent fasting are T2’s saviour. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TJR56

TJR56 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had scary nightmare hypo episodes when control is knocked off course and my BS is less predictable.

Though I now have much less basal at night because of too many low readings before, it has taken a bit of experimentation under the guidance of a brilliant DSN. However, I had one a few nights back, because though I hadn't managed to eat a proper balanced meal and thought I'd counter-acted this with a piece of toast and lower bolus, I'd guessed wrongly. I've had T1 60 years now and still have to adjust! But once you have a regime that fits your life it does get easier, I promise!

6. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

No, just gotta get up and pee before accidents and new bedding is required :)

7. Mikesee

Mikesee Type 1 · Member

Hi all,I have experienced at least half a dozen of these weird dreams in the past couple of years.Mine are what I would call a bit disturbing,rather than frightening.The dreams are not identical but all have the same ending,which is a clock counting down incredibly slowly from 10 to zero before waking. Blood sugar levels are always low (between 2-3) but I feel in control and immediately take the actions to remedy the problem.I always think of the countdown as a natural alarm clock and that I am very lucky in that respect.I have been type 1 for over 42 years btw so no greenhorn!

8. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

#28 Lamont D, Feb 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  9. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

The main thing about your post is you are still getting overnight hypos.
    I was exactly the same as you, I was told to eat frequently to prevent hypos. But the problem was, it didn't!
    I found out that was too much and I had to find an alternative treatment.
    I did!
    A balance of protein, fats, foods that didn't trigger the hypos. Also, intermittent fasting and the most important thing was finding out which foods I was intolerant to.
    And then avoiding them.
    If you have any questions, please do ask.

Best wishes, it might stop those bad dreams.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook