Scary hypo

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So yesterday I woke up checked my blood sugars which were 8 than injected 8 units of basal.30 mins later sat at my desk started feeling a little dizzy so thought i d just check my blood sugars,2.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *** quick munch!!!!!!!!! overdid it like because 2 hours later sugar reading 16 but in the moment of that hypo couldn't help it,hypos are so scary!!! felt like i was walking through a foggy cloud :) thinking maybe I injected into a vein maybe but ya scary shizz,anyone else relate to this??

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is 8 units your usual basal dose? What basal insulin are you using?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes this morning went for a run started at 8.6, left my pump on and tested 10 mins ago at 2.6.. Just coming up, would normally disconnect but was keen to try new running shoes :banghead:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
any chance you could have injected bolus insulin instead of basal?

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So yesterday I woke up checked my blood sugars which were 8 than injected 8 units of basal.30 mins later sat at my desk started feeling a little dizzy so thought i d just check my blood sugars,2.2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *** quick munch!!!!!!!!! overdid it like because 2 hours later sugar reading 16 but in the moment of that hypo couldn't help it,hypos are so scary!!! felt like i was walking through a foggy cloud :) thinking maybe I injected into a vein maybe but ya scary shizz,anyone else relate to this??
Constantly it’s never as predictable as they tell you, x = y, tosh ! It’s a constant tight rope walking exercise, they recommend 10 grams of carbs, but you just need to gorge, then bg of 30+ all day

Reactions: wiserkurtious

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Nearly got myself killed once by having a severe hypo when alone in the house and for whatever reason decided to have a stroll outside and have a lie down in the middle of the road, when a car stopped and the guy got out and asked me if something was wrong which seemed to wake me up enough to realise I needed some sugar, which he helped me with.

Reactions: Dodo and kev-w

mikel1967

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just had a nose around at your recent posts which kind of explain, why you're not on a basal/bolus regime seems crazy to me.
I still find hypos scary after 37 years. I remember my very first one. Since then I have run my blood sugar to high. ( being honest time) I try as many diabetics to have small amounts of novorapid to keep my sugar where I'm told it should be. Unfortunately. Sometimes it doesn't seem to work as I think my absorption rate varies. Then it seems to release all at once causing possible hypo. Back to being scared and not doing what I should.

sysrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not much
T2 on insulin for 20 years. Since my wife's dementia became severe she no longer catches my hypos. The good news (at least to me) is that I can have a severe hypo and recover without assistance. The last one I don't remember anything after 9 pm and came to enough to self medicate at 2 am - mind you, I was in a sorry mess. I'm guessing the insulin just wore off. Coming to was interesting - having psychedelic experiences, I do worry about permanent damage but what can you do? Anyone else have these?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
T2 on insulin for 20 years. Since my wife's dementia became severe she no longer catches my hypos. The good news (at least to me) is that I can have a severe hypo and recover without assistance. The last one I don't remember anything after 9 pm and came to enough to self medicate at 2 am - mind you, I was in a sorry mess. I'm guessing the insulin just wore off. Coming to was interesting - having psychedelic experiences, I do worry about permanent damage but what can you do? Anyone else have these?
Hi @sysrev I certainly used to get psychedelic experiences, but the following, extracted from the book in the picture, is probably the scariest hypo I ever experienced;
1979 At a party in Haringey, hosted by one of Helen’s predecessors: The hostess, called Julie, left for work at Harrods, with Yours Truly unconscious on a sofa. She telephoned at 12.45. “You still there?” After my baffled response, I put the phone down and tried to think about my state of affairs. I had a raging headache, my vision kept disappearing, and worryingly, I was experiencing a total memory loss. I started to pace around the stark room like a leopard in its too confined quarters. What the hell is wrong? This is not a hangover. I need to talk to someone. My father. What’s his name? Where does he work? (He retired in 1985 and I still remember his number – 01 405 9222 ext 6036) Brain’s battery was completely uncharged then. As I sped around the room in increasing panic, I chanced upon a directory. With my focus looming in and out, I flipped through the pages in the vain hope I might recognise anything. Something suggested the word “assurance” and I had enough cognitive function to write it down. Minutes later I was through to some saint (female) at the switchboard. Why she didn’t think “We’ve got a right one here” I’ll never understand. She deserves recognition.
“Er, er, Oh God, what’s his name?”
“Don’t worry love, which department is he in?”
“Er, ....... Oh blimey I can’t think.”
At this point she began reading down the list until she said:
“Job Evaluation?”
“That’s it!”
I’m a great believer in fate. Normally one of three lovely secretaries would have answered the phone, but for some reason my father himself answered. I must have been able to tell him my whereabouts, because I remember him giving me some chocolate in the flat. The rest is blank until 6.30 the following morning. I had been put in Johanna’s bedroom (I think she was away at college in Oxford at the time) and my father put his head round the door to check progress. He found me with the top of my head on the floor, followed by most of my torso. He managed to get me back on the bed and then tried to give me warm sweet tea. I hit him. Apparently it took both my parents to hold me against the wall and get some in.

All the best, Grant

Reactions: Madmaureen

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Please explain! :nailbiting:

I ve more posts on here if you search,its a long 1 to go over :) but i did get in touch with my diabetes team tuesday and she said she d get in touch with my consultant and told me to put my basal up 2 units in the morning,but ya nothing really changed.hoping my consultant gives the go ahead can t keep living like this :) I've my doubts though due to having 2 gad tests and both coming back negative but we ll see

Reactions: slip

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Constantly it’s never as predictable as they tell you, x = y, tosh ! It’s a constant tight rope walking exercise, they recommend 10 grams of carbs, but you just need to gorge, then bg of 30+ all day

hahaha ya 10 carbs when your going through a hypo!!!!is hard for sure,body just wants to binge!!!