Scary hypo

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They should make a horror movie. “2.something”

Totally agreed, this is much worse than zombies or aliens or whatever. I often have nightmares about low blood sugar, and in them I always get some stupidly low number that I've never even gotten in real life. And because it's a dream, things are confusing, which makes it feel so real...

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a day last week where the tests were basically 9, 9, 9, 3. It was like I was injecting lucozade until suddenly I wasn't.

Wish I'd stayed in bed.

Reactions: porl69

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
thought i d just check my blood sugars,2.2
Go find your own Diabetes and stop pinching mine.;) Your not alone and especially with the rebound.
I have designed the worlds scariest roller coaster, based on my blood glucose graph for the last week.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had a 1.0 a few times and managed to correct, other times I have had a LOW reading on the libre (not show how low a LOW reading is but it leaves you all frazzled for a few hours after)

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It'll be even scarier when the dvla start to revoke licences for anything below 4mmol. Just a matter of time in my opinion.
I no longer blood test if I feel low. I just treat it. I'm not happy to have a low blood sugar recorded anywhere. Luckily I have good awareness and always check bloods before driving anyway. But where if I felt low I used to check it I no longer do.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It'll be even scarier when the dvla start to revoke licences for anything below 4mmol. Just a matter of time in my opinion.

***!!! Seriously!!!

What happens if that low was a 4.0-3.9 and lasted like 15 mins and you was not driving an you quickly corrected? Are we going to get penalised for having lows now even though we are nowhere near the wheel of a car at the time of the low?
Completely understand that if your BG is on the lower end of the safe zone you should raise it then drive.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having just checked my blood sugar and realised I’m hypo of
2.7 I’ve realise I’m a still hypo unaware

Reactions: porl69

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am speculating...but there has been a definite shift at clinic over the last couple of years. No one seems bothered about the highs. My a1c went up to 48 and they were pleased. They said anything below 50 in an adult worries them.
I ALWAYS check before I get in the car and don't drive below 5.5mmol. It is important to have that record on your blood meter as if you are involved in an accident - even if not your fault - and you haven't you can lose your licence or even be charged with driving under the influence of drugs.

I've got much more careful. Where before I might have done a five minute drive to the shop without checking I won't know. I check every single time I get in the car.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
***!!! Seriously!!!

What happens if that low was a 4.0-3.9 and lasted like 15 mins and you was not driving an you quickly corrected? Are we going to get penalised for having lows now even though we are nowhere near the wheel of a car at the time of the low?
Completely understand that if your BG is on the lower end of the safe zone you should raise it then drive.

I doubt it. The DVLA if anything have been loosening the rules just a little for hypos (overnight I believe) and how they affect your licence entitlement in the last year. If they do something similar to as speculated above, bang goes the end of a good few folk's livelihoods and independence.

It's worth noting that if you have a 3.9 that lasts about 15 minutes, the rule still applies that you can't begin driving for at least 45 minutes after climbing above 5.0 though.

I personally refuse to get behind the wheel if I haven't had a result within the last 2 hours above 5.0 and right before for longer journeys. Is it a pain? Sure, sometimes. Do I want to keep my licence more than take the occasional pain? Most definitely.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
I have had a 1.0 a few times and managed to correct, other times I have had a LOW reading on the libre (not show how low a LOW reading is but it leaves you all frazzled for a few hours after)

****!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt it. The DVLA if anything have been loosening the rules just a little for hypos (overnight I believe) and how they affect your licence entitlement in the last year. If they do something similar to as speculated above, bang goes the end of a good few folk's livelihoods and independence.

It's worth noting that if you have a 3.9 that lasts about 15 minutes, the rule still applies that you can't begin driving for at least 45 minutes after climbing above 5.0 though.

I personally refuse to get behind the wheel if I haven't had a result within the last 2 hours above 5.0 and right before for longer journeys. Is it a pain? Sure, sometimes. Do I want to keep my licence more than take the occasional pain? Most definitely.

Great for “being late” excuses...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great for “being late” excuses...

841ea0e8926de51bcf19bca5961aca6c.jpg

sysrev

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @sysrev I certainly used to get psychedelic experiences, but the following, extracted from the book in the picture, is probably the scariest hypo I ever experienced;

I’m a great believer in fate. Normally one of three lovely secretaries would have answered the phone, but for some reason my father himself answered. I must have been able to tell him my whereabouts, because I remember him giving me some chocolate in the flat. The rest is blank until 6.30 the following morning. I had been put in Johanna’s bedroom (I think she was away at college in Oxford at the time) and my father put his head round the door to check progress. He found me with the top of my head on the floor, followed by most of my torso. He managed to get me back on the bed and then tried to give me warm sweet tea. I hit him. Apparently it took both my parents to hold me against the wall and get some in.
All the best, Grant
I relate to your experiences - they sound terrifying. The aggression seems to be a common trait of hypos. I have to watch it when I am still thinking but have been told that I am very Terry difficult to help during a severe hypo. The real point I was making was that I recovered unaided from a bad hypo. I had never done that before and it gave me some reassurance (maybe false?). Terry

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I relate to your experiences - they sound terrifying. The aggression seems to be a common trait of hypos. I have to watch it when I am still thinking but have been told that I am very Terry difficult to help during a severe hypo. The real point I was making was that I recovered unaided from a bad hypo. I had never done that before and it gave me some reassurance (maybe false?). Terry
Very interesting point. Until I discovered this forum, I had no likelihood of finding out whether my experiences were unusual or not. Even now, when I read in the press that somebody's life has been saved from a hypo, I wonder whether it is truly accurate.I have definitely been right through a hypo more than once and then had just enough brain to eat, absurdly sluggishly - every jaw movement taking absurd effort. I would never like to suggest "Don't worry, a hypo won't kill you" because circumstances pay as much a part as an individual's body chemistry. Ultimately, whenever anybody dies from starvation, their blood sugar levels must have plummeted. I always held on to the reassurance you mention, and it certainly wasn't false for me!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
1967 My father stopped the car outside Eades’ Stores, a wonderfully old-fashioned grocers with their name proudly set in mosaic between two large plate glass windows set in dark green frames and housing complete sides of smoked pig, whole rounds of strong cheese, and a wooden frame containing glass-fronted tin boxes with Peek Frean’s or Huntley and Palmer’s just emerging from heavily pawed and ancient paper. He asked me to go in and buy three tins of Trout Hall grapefruit segments. I came back with three bottles of Brobat (loo cleaner).
“I didn’t ask for that!” said my father. I do remember the shopkeeper, Mrs Potter asking me if I was all right. Clearly not, because the story jumps to my father forcing glucose tablets through my gritted teeth while supine on my bed. The tablets were about 6mm thick and the diameter of a 2p coin. They were sold by Boots in yellow and black striped rolls. I still hate all forms of glucose except Lucozade.

1969 Coming out of the subway from the railway station at Shoreham-by-Sea, I walked straight into the path of a racing bike travelling at speed. I remember the rider examining the front wheel, which was bent, but being far more concerned at the deathly colour of my face. I also remember coming out of Frank Ellis’s with a Mars Bar, but the whole event is muddied. I would love to thank the cyclist.

As the 2A bus (From Race Hill, Brighton, to Shoreham Beach) was about 75 yards away from the stop opposite Buckingham Park, for some reason I hit the gutter on my back. I well remember the event, but have no recall of the walk home from the stop.