Scientists: Avoid fats, not carbs

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to be doing well enough. I was diagnosed in October 13, and started trimming carbs pretty much straight away. I didn't materially increase my fat intake, until I was almost at target weight.

For a small, very slim woman, I eat a lot. I sit skirting around 47.5kg as the mid point of my naturally fluctuating range. My day-to-day range is +/-2kg.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Much as I hate links, sadly the one you've quoted in a prime example of spin by those with an agenda.

Have a look at the interview with the teams doctor.
Very much quitting 'sugar' and a more balanced diet approach, and very much only 'some' of the team.
And chicken, fish are common, so not entirely saturated fat.

https://iquitsugar.com/australian-cricket-team-eat-sugar/

It would seem LCHF is very much in the eye of the beholder at times.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type 1 for nearly fifty years, it has only been the last 2 years that I have reduced my carbs. Not only have I lost weight but my hba1c has never been so good. My husband, who is not diabetic, has decided to low carb too and lost a stone in the last 3 months without feeling as if he was on a restrictive diet.

Reactions: 8 people

artofmany

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who didn't leave the playground behind,
Food manufacturers who think sugar and preservatives need to be in everything
A 6 day test on 19 people should be completely ignored.

DO NOT listen to the results of this study. It is not thorough enough. The short time span and low participant number leave HUGE margins of error. If this study was repeated, there is a large chance the results would not be repeated.

Again, DO NOT listen to the results of this trial, unless using it as inspiration for a trial with enough participants. For an acceptable margin of error, you need just under 400 participants. If you see a study with less, ignore it.

Reactions: 4 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its all a bit of same old, same old really. It makes you wonder why they even bother to conduct some of these studies.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/opinion/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger.html?_r=0

(popped in the link that worked for me after getting a blank from the posted one - I really appreciate links btw!)

I hate reading about the Minnesota hunger 'research', with those poor starved conscientious objectors being tortured so.

But Gary Taubes is a good writer and commentator on the whole subject of weight loss and ways of eating that plague we diabetics in particular it seems. It is really good to see hunger being addressed. (As someone who experiences hunger keenly, and nothing like the Monty Pythonesque 'just a bit bothersome' and 'at worst -boring' that the otherwise wonderful Prof Taylor would want his Newcastle Diet to be. :).) Thanks for the link.

Reactions: 3 people

reidpj

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/30/opinion/diet-advice-that-ignores-hunger.html?_r=0

(popped in the link that worked for me after getting a blank from the posted one - I really appreciate links btw!)

I hate reading about the Minnesota hunger 'research', with those poor starved conscientious objectors being tortured so.

But Gary Taubes is a good writer and commentator on the whole subject of weight loss and ways of eating that plague we diabetics in particular it seems. It is really good to see hunger being addressed. (As someone who experiences hunger keenly, and nothing like the Monty Pythonesque 'just a bit bothersome' and 'at worst -boring' that the otherwise wonderful Prof Taylor would want his Newcastle Diet to be. :).) Thanks for the link.

You're more than welcome, and thank you for fixing the link (should've checked it :oops:).

Totally agree re. Taubes. Did you know that he has teamed up with a few other like minded individuals over at NuSi.org? They seem to be doing some interesting research.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You're more than welcome, and thank you for fixing the link (should've checked it :oops:).

Totally agree re. Taubes. Did you know that he has teamed up with a few other like minded individuals over at NuSi.org? They seem to be doing some interesting research.

No worries! And no I didn't know - will check it out. Thanks heaps. (off to NuSi.org...:))

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That is fascinating. Thanks for sharing! Really hoping that NuSi can do some good...

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
media that report on such studies need to watch Tom Naughton's "Science for Smart People" on youtube.

Louisette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came to this thread looking for Uric acid.
All the information is very confusing. I know that things change as scientists research further and techniques for testing become more sophisticated.
But I can't quite get a grip on what I am supposed to eat apart from green leafy veg and eggs. Some say fish is OK others say no, chicken could be ok if the skin is off. Low fat dairy is good for uric acid but not good for diabetes....... The things that will lower my blood sugar and thyroid levels will increase my uric acid. Or so it would appear. But then I have read so many articles and experts on the web giving conflicting ideas. It will take time to process and maybe reading everything is not a good idea as I have no idea what the agendas are.
So far I am concentrating on - Low carbs for diabetes and low purines for uric acid and chlorophyll for thyroid.
I would like a light.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I came to this thread looking for Uric acid.
Hi @Louisette, why are you looking for Uric acid ? Do you suffer from gout ?
Before my diagnosis, I suffered from worsening attacks of gout, a condition caused by high levels of uric acid in the joints. Eventually I found a solution, one which eliminated the gout, and keeps it from returning - bicarbonate of soda, aka baking soda (never to be confused with baking powder).
Following my diagnosis in 12/2011 I shortly afterwards adopted a lowcarb diet. I embrace saturated fat, fatty meat, chicken skin etc. and never once has that caused me a return of my gout symptoms. I've never sought to follow 'foods to avoid' if seeking a low purine diet.

If not gout, what is your interest in uric acid ?
Geoff

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
For me personally, to combat insulin resistance and achieve truly normal non-diabetic BG levels I get the best results when I:

1. Eat low carb <50g per day
2. Skip breakfast - so IF of 16-18 hours
3. Weight/resistance training for 30 mins in fasted state
4. Refuel after exercise with a low carb meal, no shortage of protein and good fats like avocado, olive oil, etc...
5. No snacking!
6. 2 meals a day

When I do all the above, the results are amazing, BG levels of 4 - 6 mmol/L mostly, with a short term spike during exercise which corrects itself without insulin within an hour or so of completing exercise session. Not easy to do every day though!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6 day diet? Who embarks on a 6 day weight loss diet? It take up to 3/4 weeks before the body really gets into ketosis.....
Agree. The reduction in carbs causes loss of weight through depleting glucogen stores, which is mainly a water loss effect. It will not touch the adipose fat ( aka belly fat) and will plateau out after a couple of weeks. Eating carbs after the diet puts this weight back on quickly, leading to yo-yo dieting.
Most of us doing LCHF diet know that decreasing fat leads to [better?] weight loss, and increasing fat intake adds weight. This is what the HF in the diet name stands for, and adjusting weight by controlling the fat intake is a primary control strategy. So this study adds nothing to our knowledge base.

As a weight loss theory it is poorly executed, and is a poorly conducted experiment. IMHO it is not useful.

Edit to add: Just looked at the OP date, and this is quite an ancient thread, and we have had a load of new studies and reports since that have changed fundamentally the way we look at LC diets, especially wrt diabetes. My post above shows my use of hindsight gained from this new knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

Louisette

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Louisette, why are you looking for Uric acid ? Do you suffer from gout ?
If not gout, what is your interest in uric acid ?
Geoff

Hi Geoff
I don't suffer from gout but my UA is high on my blood test and I take medication for it. I would like to come off medication and correct it through diet. Bicarbonate of soda is a wonderful thing. It seems to be the answer to so many things.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bicarbonate of soda is a wonderful thing. It seems to be the answer to so many things.
By chance, at a time when I took an occasional precautionary level teaspoon before bed, I noticed that I did not need to visit the toilet during the night. Seems a nocturnal need to urinate can come from an over-acidic bladder. So, in both cases (gout/bladder), baking soda has neutralised the acidity.

I'm assuming you steer clear of juices, as they can raise uric levels.
Geoff