Second COVID vaccine...

MsClarita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pigeons!
Hi all! I'm possibly in a unique situation here, but thought I'd see if anyone could help anyway. I was diagnosed Type 1 at the end of May, and was due my first vaccine two days after I was admitted to hospital. I had to cancel this as I was in ICU. I've since had my first dose - on 13 June - but despite now being in the Group 6 vulnerable population, I've been told I can't bring forward my second dose, which is scheduled for mid-August. The three week gap between doses that was advised by Pfizer has passed. I've asked the GP and I've tried to book at a local council walk in place, but both appointments have been cancelled. I'm feeling a bit nervous about it, especially considering everywhere is opening up on 19 July, cases are rising and that will be that. Has anyone experienced similar / do you know anywhere in the London area that would administer a second dose for me sooner?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s some info from the NHS regarding Covid vaccine, we were looking at it yesterday, trying to work out how my daughter who was at Uni and had her first vaccine in Wales could get her second one now she’s home in England. She ended up going to a walk in centre as the GP here didn’t know how either. She is nine weeks post first jab and they asked her and checked her card repeatedly as they wouldn’t do it less than eight weeks:
https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavi...cination-programme-faqs-on-second-dose-v2.pdf
The last paragraph of page one has the info you need if you don’t want to read the whole of the link.

Edit for typos

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding is that recent research has shown that extended the time between the two doses to at least 8 weeks increases the efficacy of vaccine beyond that which you would get if only 3 weeks between them.
Therefore, whilst it is frustrating to wait, overall, the the benefit will be greater if you are patient.
If I was in your position, I would not be looking for somewhere that overlooks the current advice and research: I would be waiting it out and, along with others of your age, continue to take precautions.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first AZ covid jab on the 20.04.21, the 2021 flue jab on the 17.05.2021, and the second AZ jab on 21.05.2021.

It worked out well for me with no problems.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my first AZ covid jab on the 20.04.21, the 2021 flue jab on the 17.05.2021, and the second AZ jab on 21.05.2021.

It worked out well for me with no problems.

I believe you are in Australia so the guidance may be different to current U.K. guidelines which is to have the second jab between 8 and 9 weeks after the first.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe you are in Australia so the guidance may be different to current U.K. guidelines which is to have the second jab between 8 and 9 weeks after the first.
You are correct that I am in Australia, but there were two months between covid jabs though which seems to be the norm here.

I could have got the second covid jab a couple weeks earlier when I was in Brisbane as they offered it to me at the RBH, but not enough time between the flu shot and the second covid so could not have it.

Sorry for going of topic a bit, just needed to clarify. :)

Reactions: Rachox

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all! I'm possibly in a unique situation here, but thought I'd see if anyone could help anyway. I was diagnosed Type 1 at the end of May, and was due my first vaccine two days after I was admitted to hospital. I had to cancel this as I was in ICU. I've since had my first dose - on 13 June - but despite now being in the Group 6 vulnerable population, I've been told I can't bring forward my second dose, which is scheduled for mid-August. The three week gap between doses that was advised by Pfizer has passed. I've asked the GP and I've tried to book at a local council walk in place, but both appointments have been cancelled. I'm feeling a bit nervous about it, especially considering everywhere is opening up on 19 July, cases are rising and that will be that. Has anyone experienced similar / do you know anywhere in the London area that would administer a second dose for me sooner?
I think you've got options here i.e. live cautiously until your appointment bearing in mind that unless you go to nightclubs or pubs there may not be much difference in your day to day life. Some people may not wear masks in supermarkets but there is no evidence that these are centres of mass transmission (think back to when we got a mask mandate last Summer in July after months of cases dropping). We are of course testing a lot more but cases aren't amounting too much in terms of hospitalisations or deaths.
Also you do already have a good degree of protection on board.
I suspect that the P jab is running low because they are already giving this out to the under 30s due to the AZ clot risk.
I have not yet had my 2nd phizer jab either btw but age 50, non obese and female I do not feel nervous nor do I feel that the 2nd jab will necessarily make much difference. For me this is taking an individual risk and my decision is political mainly. I felt coerced into the jab and don't want the next one if it leads to vaccine passports.
The emphasis on the vaccine can distract us from doing all the other things which also keep our immune systems normal and not overreactive.
As a t1D my main mission is to keep blood sugars well in range so that if the virus lands it does not turn into the disease i.e. inflammatory storm by keeping in good shape (diabetes wise) and taking my vitamin D.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It’s hard adjusting to the new regimes of insulin giving, blood sugar watching and carbohydrate counting without the extra concerns this wretched pandemic has chucked at we T1s. Sympathy!
If you’re worried about the increased risks after 19 June you could mitigate against them by using an FFP3 mask. A friend who’s a very well qualified nurse gets hers from Medisave. She uses the FFP2s, but she’s not T1. The FFP3s are more expensive than the FFP2s though. You could also have online deliveries so as to avoid enclosed indoor spaces.
Are you working? Are you expected to physically be at work after 19 June? Are you already working away from home? If you’ve an amenable employer then discuss whether you can work from home until two weeks after the second jab when immunity will have built.
Unlike @Nicole1971, I trust the findings of the scientists I respect, people like Christina Pagel, Deepti Gursani, Sir David King and the SAGE Mathematician Kit Yates. They all advocate wearing masks, the more effective the better.
I’m not sure how you could shorten the gap between doses but it might be worth doing what a couple of people I know did which was to turn up at a vaccination centre and ask if they had any unused doses they wanted to save from the bin. Admittedly they did this for the first dose.
Don’t fret too much though, fretting increases adrenaline which raises blood sugars. With good steps to protect yourself as best you can you’ll to a long long way towards avoiding infection.

Reactions: Sammy2011

MsClarita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pigeons!
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I'll hang tight and remain cautious - I work remotely anyway so no concerns about being thrown back into the office or having to commute.