Second Nature Programme

Christyj

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently on it. I have lost 18lbs in 10 weeks. It is very much low carb but not over severe. I shall be staying on it as although weight loss seems slow with a few tweaks I am eating a normal healthy diet. Yes, if you go off piste it is not the end of the world!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The OP posted a year ago so I wonder if he did the programme. I thought I'd chime in to share 2 real examples of people tackling their diabetes from the walking group I co - run where I chat through the low carb options:
Person A - got a shock pre diabetes diagnosis before Christmas, got no advice, researched remission and found out about dropping body weight rapidly which he did by walking a lot and being very accurate with his portion sizes. His hba1c has gone from 70+ down to 42 and he's lost 8 inches from his waist. It took 4 months.
Person B - has been diabetic for over 6 years, likes his food and his busy social life but got a shock when his GP threatened him with extra pills (other than metformin) if he didn't get his hba1c of 77 down. He took a more gradual approach but on our advice he did start testing his glucose to see how his treats affected his body. His first test was 15.4 following on from a walk and a bacon sandwich over 4 hours previously so he had a considerable distance to go!
He did continue to eat a few puddings and the odd fish and chip supper but has radically cut back on starch without counting carbs or calories and has added a big walk with us of course. He's down from 77 to 55 and feels a lot better with out much weight loss or hunger. It took 9 months.
My point is that not everyone wants to jump feet first into keto or very low calorie dieting to resolve their diabetes. Some prefer to ease into small but consistent changes that they can sustain without too many changes. And some have genuine food addictions for whom the thought of giving up certain foods is too much yet they cannot eat these foods 'in moderation' . Why do we base our advice to fat or diabetic people on what thin or healthy people do?
Both people are doing well and person A is relaxing a little to see just how many carbs he can add in without getting a high bg whereas Person B is pressing on because he feels such a sense of achievement and wants to go the distance on reversing his diabetes. They are both 'poster boys' in my opinion and continue to inspire me when I am trying to improve my own results or those of my clients.