Self isolation for 12 weeks ?????

Max68

I agree this is a problem. Of my four children, my 17 year old is a type 1, and my eldest, who is 22 and lives at home with me, has an autoimmune disorder which puts her at high risk of complications even with normal flu, I'm unsure if her exact illness puts her on the government list of most vulnerable people but her consultant has definitely advised her to isolate herself and not get out of the house at all. It's impossible to get food delivered, as all slots are taken, and she can't register as a new vulnerable customer with Sainsbury. This means we need to get out of the house to get food from the shops, which in turn means that within the house, to protect my daughter we can't be anywhere near her even with no symptoms, as we can't be sure it's safe. Saying 'get food delivered' or 'get friends or relatives to shop for you' sounds fine, but is over-simplified advice, I can't see who I'd send out shopping for my entire family on a regular, long-term basis, a friend could help here or there once or twice, but this is about feeding a family of 6 with coeliac restrictions for possibly 12 weeks. The best way to do this is for us to get out and get the food, but the price to pay within the house, with my daughter having to be alone in another room for those 12 weeks, is high.

I'd seriously ring your local supermarket branch and ask to be put in touch with the Manager. Might take some time but it's worth pushing. You are right though. Considering supermarkets are restricting some items, understandably, if you ask a neighbour who is off for their family shop to do your family shop it makes life very difficult. Might be worth seeing if there is a community group in your area. It's so difficult but it's hard to blame the Government or Supermarkets as this is unprecedented and there isn't a rule book for this. I hope if nothing else once this is all over no matter when it happens that we then prepare in all essential services for the next one.

RReyes - If I were you I'd make contact with your Union if you are in one. Our Teaching Union were ones who sent all diabetics home last week!!

Reactions: lizdeluz and EllieM

gillkin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I’m super confused, rang my GP Surgery yesterday, said I had type 1 diabetes and asked if I would receive a letter telling me to stay at home for 12 weeks? Was told yes I would. Reading the guidance on the Gov website after reading what’s been said here, I won’t get a letter?

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had THE LETTER today telling me I'm confined to barracks - no, my house - for 12 weeks, not for Type 1 but C.O.P.D., the result of a mis-spent youth...

jennie17efc

There are NO instructions, only "advice".

So the Government does not have your back.
As far as I can see you have to work normally unless you show clear symptoms of Covid-19.
If you self isolate you have to bear the cost.

I meant my ex employer not the government having my back and having compassion

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, thank you. This post of mine was a few days before that latest govt advice but thanks anyway. x

No worries, it's all still as clear as mud, from what I can see! And I'm meant to advise others..........;)

Reactions: KK123

bmtest

Please below it does not look as though we are on the list of 12 weeker. I think it's game on for me I started week ago with funny throat dry aching neck and tight chest and I took a glass of water to bed which I never do. Yesterday it came back worse tight dry chest coughed only little aching legs and panicky.

Blood sugar level Monday night 24 at 9pm shocked treated with novo rapid reading stayed up till 2:45 am as not sure what would happen when to bed around 3am kept lantus same as usual.

Woke up ready for work still felt rough blood sugar 6.7 dosed extra 4 units novo rapid drove to train station and tested reading 18 pumped in 6 units novo rapid. Arrived late at work did not rush stille weak with high blood sugare mild tightness in chest very dry. Tested at work as soon as arrived about 11am reading 17 pumped in another 6 units novo rapid still felt rough with high blood sugar.

By 1pm its down to 6.3 so decided this took 5 hours to get down to this level so decided to have luch felt better for normal blood sugar chest tight and dry not coughing as drunk plenty of water. Also back aching and a mild pain to sides of spine low down.

Stayed at work and relief to go after being furloughed got someone to pick me up and drop me at train station to pick car up and continued testing and injecting.

Still tight chest and very sore in centre of chest I wish I could be tested as would like to know it this is it seems to be same sympton but worse in chest but no temperature.

Thats my day hope rest of you go ok.

upload_2020-3-25_0-15-43.png

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please below it does not look as though we are on the list of 12 weeker. I think it's game on for me I started week ago with funny throat dry aching neck and tight chest and I took a glass of water to bed which I never do. Yesterday it came back worse tight dry chest coughed only little aching legs and panicky.

Blood sugar level Monday night 24 at 9pm shocked treated with novo rapid reading stayed up till 2:45 am as not sure what would happen when to bed around 3am kept lantus same as usual.

Woke up ready for work still felt rough blood sugar 6.7 dosed extra 4 units novo rapid drove to train station and tested reading 18 pumped in 6 units novo rapid. Arrived late at work did not rush stille weak with high blood sugare mild tightness in chest very dry. Tested at work as soon as arrived about 11am reading 17 pumped in another 6 units novo rapid still felt rough with high blood sugar.

By 1pm its down to 6.3 so decided this took 5 hours to get down to this level so decided to have luch felt better for normal blood sugar chest tight and dry not coughing as drunk plenty of water. Also back aching and a mild pain to sides of spine low down.

Stayed at work and relief to go after being furloughed got someone to pick me up and drop me at train station to pick car up and continued testing and injecting.

Still tight chest and very sore in centre of chest I wish I could be tested as would like to know it this is it seems to be same sympton but worse in chest but no temperature.

Thats my day hope rest of you go ok.

View attachment 39673
I’m seeing this chest tightness without fever and with only the mildest of infrequent coughs reported more and more. I’ve had it and so have quite a few people I’ve spoke with. Kirsty Allsopp reported the same in the news and her husband is confirmed. I’ve seen it on the news with a Chinese nurse reporting it as first symptom a few days ago too.

Last edited:

MollieB

Sainsbury's website it says "Due to the huge increase in online orders, we're pausing new registrations for the time being.
In the US grocery stores are the ones hiring right now. Amazon, CVS, and Wal-Mart are all looking to hire about 500,000 employees (across the US) to do their deliveries. I don't know the extent of your "lock downs" but your grocery stores should be hiring your restaurant, theater workers, etc who may have been shut down to do their deliveries.

dmckatana

I’m Type 2 on insulin, been diabetic for 20 years now. I’m also a nurse, but first responder to accidents etc. My job is not in the NHS. I work for a private company, a large multi national. My problem is that the company are apparently making up their own ‘at risk’ categories.......I’m concerned that they don’t exactly have the well-being of their employees at heart. I’m also concerned at the legality of their decision making process, which I’m sure is driven by profit, rather than duty of care.......they are refusing at present, to agree that I’m in any at risk category. I’m in my sixties, diabetic and hypertensive........I’m thinking I have to be pretty much dead to be in their at risk category.
How is your company allowed to make up it's own at risk categories when there is government publications showing the at risk groups. That sounds dangerous for you and any patient that your treating.

dmckatana

My friend who isn't diabetic got a text message on Sunday night @2350 to tell him he must shield for 12 weeks. It very firmly stated that he must not go out the house or have face to face contact with anyone. Also is he develops any of the symptoms he must seek medical advice right away. That the isolation for 7 days doesn't count. He will receive a letter and the shielding starts from the date of the letter. Also your employer cant make you return to work until you receive another letter telling you its safe to do so.

Reactions: Fairygodmother
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son-in-law has been told to keep working by his boss, my SIL maintains swimming pools, yes swimming pools. Clients, who saw him yesterday, said 'what are you doing here, why are you working ? !! It is not a key job in any way and will not help to keep the country going :wideyed:

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning! Arrived at Swansea on this lovely sunny morning with my student buddy. Car shared today figuring that as we’re sharing an ambulance (we’re based at the same station) it was ok. I’ve got my driving assessment this morning... :D

Reactions: kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning! Arrived at Swansea on this lovely sunny morning with my student buddy. Car shared today figuring that as we’re sharing an ambulance (we’re based at the same station) it was ok. I’ve got my driving assessment this morning... :D
Do you have to nee naw for the test? Swansea will fear there’s another case of hazmat. Good luck, break a leg (and don’t forget the splints), and do well, we know you can.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Good luck :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Good luck Looper! x

steveo4

I also work in a hospital and have been sent home to self isolate. I've been told for 7 days but I thought it was at left 14 days and could be longer. So will just have to closely monitor the situation.
No, I was told by 111 that I shouldn't go to work because of my situation. Work in a hospital, 3 hour bus travel, family members with vulnerablities and being diabetic. We have no protection at work, can't social distance ourselves either and are not allowed to use our own masks or anything as it may cause "panic".

If it were anywhere other than a hospital I'd be fine with it but I'd say I have more than enough reason to avoid that place.

F1nola

The government, from what I can gather, are just advising people, Joan Bakewell on Newsnight last night had a moan about the governments, well, wishy washy ways.
I haven't self isolated...........yet, but it's looks as though something could be in the pipeline for many, if not all.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A heads up for an update on COVID-19 tonight: 25th March.
CORONA VIRUS:YOUR ESSENTIAL UPDATE, BBC 1@ 7.30pm.