Self Monitoring of Blood Glucose and Type 2s

deadwood2

Ebay might be good - i got 150 strips for £25 - 1/3rd of the shop price. Watch for the expiry date and above all, that they are sealed.

Next stop, getting the quack to prescribe them.

Chr*st, if Joanna Lumley was a T2, we'd be knee deep in them!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
deadwood2 said:
Chr*st, if Joanna Lumley was a T2, we'd be knee deep in them!
As long as they're not made in Nepal. :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Tyrone.

Yes, this is deadly serious. Not everybody gets them on prescription and has to resort to ebay and such places to get supplies at a reasonable rate.
There are guidelines in respect of the monitoring but that is just it - guidelines. Many PCT's and GP practices do not issue them on cost grounds.

That's life.

Ken.

gbtyke

Just been refused them again by my Practice Nurse. Said guidelines say I can only test if I feel ill. Put another request into her in writing, also referring her to John's Government Petition. Also still awaiting response to letter to Local MP complaining of local PCT implementation of guidelines.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Just a thought gbtyke.

Have you tried bypassing PN and seeing GP along with your reasons for testing and facts about what you are doing so far and why ? A little pressure in the right place can go a long way I find ! :twisted:

Ken.

tyroneshoelaces

Seems to me there's a degree of postcode lottery going on here: I'm lucky; someone else isn't. It's all wrong. I'm not sure how we're supposed to know if we're controlling our diabetes without testing our blood glucose levels on a daily basis. Am I wrong?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
tyroneshoelaces said:
Seems to me there's a degree of postcode lottery going on here: I'm lucky; someone else isn't. It's all wrong. I'm not sure how we're supposed to know if we're controlling our diabetes without testing our blood glucose levels on a daily basis. Am I wrong?
Tyrone, you are absolutely right, and it is typical of the shambolic mess that the NHS has degenerated into over recent years.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
tyroneshoelaces said:

Tyrone.
There is a petition on the No.10 website if you are interested in adding another voice to it.
It is listed here under - Please support my Diabetes Petition.
Link: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7783
By our friend John (wallycorker)

Ken. :D

Trinkwasser

Dennis said:
tyroneshoelaces said:
Tyrone, you are absolutely right, and it is typical of the shambolic mess that the NHS has degenerated into over recent years.

Here here!

A combination of a newly formed PCT finding they were £9 million *further* in debt that they were expecting and a narcissistic local endo dictates that our GPs MUST not prescribe test strips.

I was using these guys

http://www.diabeticshop.co.uk/

as being marginally cheaper than the local pharmacy. then the pharmacy was bought by Boots and for a while they dropped the prices, then put them back up again.

I tried another cheaper mail order supplier but the strips took about three weeks to arrive. These guys usually do return of post.

Anyone with any better suppliers please add.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I was given only two test strips a week when i was told i am diabetic so bought extra myself.
After I read that as a driver of a 7.5 tonne should test every day I complained to my local PCT under health and safty law, that made them jump about and THEY told my doctor to give me a load more.
So complain, complain and complain again.
If you have any work that you can say is under health and safty tell your PCT.
Graham1441 :evil:

deadwood2

tyroneshoelaces said:
Is this serious? I had no idea diabetics were being forced into buying test strips on ebay. That's outrageous.
Not forced exactly, but the suggestion that testing is only necessary once a month or so is outrageous. My HPs and I don't see eye to eye about testing yet. I'd prefer to have some data to support my contention that regular testing leads to better control, rather than just stamp my feet.

I was googling online pharmacies, ebay popped up so I thought I'd see what was on offer. They seem OK, sealed, 9 months shelf life. Not sure whether I'd want to get the prickers from the same source, though :?

Trinkwasser

deadwood2 said:
tyroneshoelaces said:
Is this serious? I had no idea diabetics were being forced into buying test strips on ebay. That's outrageous.
Not forced exactly, but the suggestion that testing is only necessary once a month or so is outrageous. My HPs and I don't see eye to eye about testing yet. I'd prefer to have some data to support my contention that regular testing leads to better control, rather than just stamp my feet.

There's an absolutely humungous amount of anecdotal information, including even on the ADA's own forums, where people make significantl and ongoing improvements.

More formally look at the paper I listed above, and more work from Andrew Karter

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=k ... tnG=Search

deadwood2

Hi Trink..

Thanks for the support, and not only on this occasion, but many before, if I remember aright. And to others, too.

I now know where I want to go, thanks mainly thanks to this board.

Strange how "empowering" a disability can be when you get your head around it...

broxiebear1

hi newbe t2 stilll seeing nurse . on first apppointment i asked about testing i told her that since i was diagnosed t2 i was using partners meter and strips she said that was ok and she would look at me testing later if i was sure about testing .my partner is moaning about me using her strips and says she will have to order more she only got them two weeks ago. nurse has told she can get them anytime she needs them.
accu-check aviva meter.

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
He broxie. You need to get your own stuff. Your old lady needs her own to. Get and see the gp and tell him you awnt to test so you know what's happening man. You have to stand up to these people all the time. Make them knoew you are for real man. Get what you need.

D.

Rushy

I had my review last Friday and I mentioned the NICE guidelines and how my local GP practice interprets them. They handed me my own Bayer Breeze 2 unit and a prescription for lancets and strips without my even asking for one!