Semaglutide

Alenor05

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am new on here, I have type 2 diabetes diet controlled, my doctor has put me on Semaglutide tablets 3mg once a day, after 3 weeks I will go up to next dose, as I need to take fluids, I hate water, are any of you's on Semaglutide that could tell me if there is anything I can put in water that does not have sugar in it, also can you take canderal thanks

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Alenor05 and welcome to the forum. Are you talking about drinks in general or the drink required to take your Semaglutide? The tablets need to be taken on an empty stomach with no more than 100mls of water, nothing else. It must be plain water or the absorption is affected. Then you need to wait 30mins before any other drink, food or medications.
I don’t enjoy water so other than the small amount to take my Semaglutide I drink black coffee and sugar free pop through out the day.
All sweeteners can affect blood sugar levels in some diabetics, you just need to so some testing to see how your body deals with them. I can consume most sweeteners without a rise but saccharine I have found does spike me.

• Informative
Reactions: shelley262

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it's general hydration it doesn't need to be plain water, any fluid works, tea, coffee, sugar free squash, diet fizzy pop,

Alenor05

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
but If it's general hydration it doesn't need to be plain water, any fluid works, tea, coffee, sugar free squash, diet fizzy pop,
Hi Lessci

Because I need to drink plenty of fluids which my doctor said, I don't drink tea, coffee at breakfast and soda water & lime once, I didn't think I could take sugar free squash as that has sweetners in it, and I didn't think you could take sweetners

Alenor05

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Alenor05 and welcome to the forum. Are you talking about drinks in general or the drink required to take your Semaglutide? The tablets need to be taken on an empty stomach with no more than 100mls of water, nothing else. It must be plain water or the absorption is affected. Then you need to wait 30mins before any other drink, food or medications.
I don’t enjoy water so other than the small amount to take my Semaglutide I drink black coffee and sugar free pop through out the day.
All sweeteners can affect blood sugar levels in some diabetics, you just need to see how your body deals with them. I can consume most sweeteners without a rise but saccharine I have found does spike me.
Hi

My doctor said to drink plenty of fluids and going on google and trying to find out what I can eat and drink is confusing, I thought you couldn't drink sugar free juices because of sweetners, I use canderal in my coffee in the morning and if I am making soup or sauce I use canderal but not a lot 1/2 - 1 teaspoon. I also thought you could take potatoes with skin on, but another site states to avoid these I am so confused as to what I can and cannot take

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When it comes to sweeteners that's a personal choice - some people's bodies react to them, others don't with the diabetes, the only way you can find out is to test your BG's. Some people avoid them because they are "possibly" cancer causing, but no more so than coffee or a bracken fern. again with potato - it's a carbohydrate so generally not the best, but some people can tolerate small amounts. Myself, mash or a jacket (Baked) potatoes are no, no's, but an occasional small handful of chips or a couple of tinned potatoes aren't to bad

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

My doctor said to drink plenty of fluids and going on google and trying to find out what I can eat and drink is confusing, I thought you couldn't drink sugar free juices because of sweetners, I use canderal in my coffee in the morning and if I am making soup or sauce I use canderal but not a lot 1/2 - 1 teaspoon. I also thought you could take potatoes with skin on, but another site states to avoid these I am so confused as to what I can and cannot take
As I said above sweeteners are not a problem for some diabetics, Canderel is a sweetener so you are already consuming some. The only way to tell if you are ok with them is to test your blood sugars before and after.
Regarding food most type 2s here control our blood sugars by eating a low carb diet, potatoes are out unless in tiny amounts (for me anyway). Here’s a link to info on low carbing:
https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I take mine with the tiniest sip of water so I don't choke on it. It does end up melting somehow still, and tastes awful.

mouseee

I always find it funny when people say they don't like water.... we're basically made of it!
My tap water tastes lovely but I have also had tap water i dont like. Might be worth trying some bottled water to take them with? Especially ifnits just a bit.
Fruit/herb teas would be another way to get fluids. I don't know where you are but the states has some scarily sugary 'teas' in giant containers. The ones I get have no carbs and there are loads if flavours. Can also chill them for iced tea too.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Hi and welcome to the forums. You might find this piece helpful, written by a forum member:

https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

I don't have any issues with any sweetners as far as I know. I'm currently using Truvia which is based on Stevia (they say) and it's the best I've found, although it's easy to use too much. What you're basivcally lookin to avoid (if I've got this right) is carbohydrate - so potatoes, skin or no skin, are high in carbs. That goes for bread, pastry, rice, pasta, a lot of fruit, most root veg, and anything with sugar. I'm Ok with legumes, others find they raise BG unacceptably.

The way you find out what works for you is to test before and after eating using a fingerprick glucometer. You'll see very quickly which foods have the biggest impact on BG. And keep asking questions.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always find it funny when people say they don't like water.
Where I grew up, the tap water was so heavily chlorinated it was undrinkable unless you'd just spent three days in the desert. Where I live now is similar, not quite so high on the chlorine but stinks of chemicals - it is revolting.

Hence we buy a lot of bottled water!

However, there are parts of UK where the water is lovely.

Reactions: filly

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to make PET bottles for a living, we had a customer in the 90s which became a very popular brand of water, Pura95. Very popular until they appeared on television, can't remember what on, it was showing how they worked and how they had grown. But people realised it was just Manchester tap water boom all gone.