Sensors and DVLA

catrogan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, my son has been working with his diabetic clinic for a year now to provide the evidence required from them to approve him having his driving licence back (which he lost because of hypos). To our joy, his doctor provided this approval a few months back and he has been patiently waiting for the DVLA to provide his licence. He has just been told that they will not do so because he used a sensor to monitor his blood sugar - something that was suggested by his clinic. Given that he is reliant on driving to and from work, this is terrible news to receive. He is following up with his doctor and clinic but we are keen to hear if anyone else has any experience of this or any helpful ideas on what we should do next.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As far as I am aware, DVLA requires finger testing before and during driving (depending on the length of the drive). Does he only use a sensor to test his blood sugar? Because it is often slightly behind, finger pricking is seen as the most reliable and accurate one which should be used before driving. Could you get in touch with the DVLA and ask exactly what it is that needs to change?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I am aware that the DVLA will not accept sensor readings as they are not as accurate as meters, as I drive I always ensure my tests are done on the meter and have noted inaccuracies with the freestyle libre. The fact that his clinic has advised this, is not good and should warrant a complaint to ensure that they do not mislead other patients in using sensor testing instead of meters, I have tagged @noblehead as he has advised me on sensor testing in the past.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No the DVLA won't accept sensor readings, you have to do a bg test carried out on a bg meter as @Juicyj says for DVLA purposes, very surprised his clinic advised that the sensor testing would be OK and agree that you should make a complaint to ensure that the same mistake doesn't happen again.

Reactions: 2 people

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the DVLA don't believe your son has sorted out his problem whilst working with his diabetes medical team using the best management device available at the mo. if the Doc say it's fine and he adheres to the rules about blood testing before and 2hrs during driving whats the problem? OP please correct the other posters here and tell us his clinic didn't say to use a sensor to check his BG levels before driving?!?!?

iHs

I have a feeling that to satisfy The Dvla requirements it might be best to bg test about 6 times per day about 2 months before renewal date so that the consultant can see all the data on bg meter rather than use cgm or Libre.

It could save a lot of bovver and worry. Unless someone has agreed to share data with hospital to pick up the data through diasend, then be wise.....be safe

Edited by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
DVLA state quite clearly they will not accept CGM readings as do the CGM companies Surely your son tested his blood sugars before his meals and calibrated the CGM twice a day? These reading should have been or can be forwarded to the DVLA.

alaska

If you're on a CGM, then you should be aware that you need to test (with a blood glucose monitor) before and every two hours of a journey.

I imagine this should get resolved as long as your son is not still having issues with severe hypos.

When I say 'should get resolved', you and he may need to put in fair bit of communication to ensure this does get resolved.

People have had luck in appealing against DVLA decisions when a genuinely good case for appeal has been made.