*** SERIOUSLY

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Being confused is normal because this is not all black and white and right and wrong. Also looking at carbs and fat you eat to loose weight is different from the carbs and fat to maintain weight and reduce high Blood glucose .I believe most diet advice from the NHS is to a degree to reduce carbs if your wanting to loose weight. I believe it's the fat bit where the controversy exists.

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Okay so in the thread here I posted about how I managed to get my HBa1c down from 10.6 to 6.9 in three months. i've just got back from seeing the diabetes nurse who basically spent the last 5 minutes of the appointment all but making me stand and face the corner If I wanted to be treated like a littler kid I could back in time not go and see a nurse who yes thinks its great that my figures have come down and thinks its great that I've lost two stone in three months until she finds out how I've lost it and all of a sudden its not healthy I should see a doctor I should be taking my metformin and blah blah blah blah. if it was healthy for me to lose the weight, no matter how I lose it then its still healthy and no, I've not been that extreme I've just been following a LCHF diet fair enough I've only been eating once a day but I've always only eaten once a day so wheres the harm in that.

But no all of a sudden I'm staving, myself I need to increase my carbs as foods containing carbs also contain other necessary vitamins etc etc.

I'm beyond fuming right now I want from a high for the 1st time in months (I suffer severe depression) to wanting to seriously do someone some serious harm with a wood chipper and a can of WD40.

I've also just recieved a letter about my P.I.P I've got to see a health consultant this day just keeps getting better and better..... <thats a lame attempt at sarcam
what is a P.I.P. ?
well done of the HBa1c and the weight loss,

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The controversy arises because it is only recently that new diets have come in that turn so called accepted and long held ideas on their heads, and as usual such revolutionary ideas tend to meet with resistance. The LCHF diet really ought to be re-named LCFF, Low Carb Full Fat. Although the fat content is raised compared to the older range of diets, it is not a fat free for all. The diet works by forcing our metabolism to enter ketogenesis, where we directly use the fat portion for our energy needs, instead of using carbs. The idea is to stop our bodies from generating excess glucose that gets stored as visceral fat when not being used for energy directly. How each of us achieves success is a juggling act that we all have to find our individual balance with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone see the BBC program last night 'Trust me I'm a Doctor'? There was a very interesting bit where women are best exercising after eating and men best before eating; some trials proved the point. It's due to the different preference the body has for fat burn versus carb burn and related to muscle mass etc.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That had some interesting considerations in it. For anyone feeling confused I think the two professors divergent opinions on the health risks associated with being overweight was a classic indication of why we all get confused.

Reactions: 4 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did anyone see the BBC program last night 'Trust me I'm a Doctor'? There was a very interesting bit where women are best exercising after eating and men best before eating; some trials proved the point. It's due to the different preference the body has for fat burn versus carb burn and related to muscle mass etc.

Yes - and I am of the belief when it comes to exercise and activity - your body (ie you yourself!) gives you very real messages as to which works best for you. Try exercising before food, and after - and you will feel in no uncertain terms which works best for you! (I have no idea about those trials but I know there is no way I do serious activity like weight lifting or my ab exercises, or even a long/brisk walk on no food. I can't do it! Is all.)