Type 2 Severe leg cramps

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all.
I’m a highly active, normal weight 66 yo, who was diagnosed with T2 a year ago - much to my surprise !!! My levels were consistently high (28 - 30 ) upon diagnosis, so Metformin & 20/20 ml Insulin is used Daily

My main concern is the constant state of leg, foot & hand cramps I’m getting . Last night was the worst with both calves pulsing for some 20 minutes - absolute crying pain & agony

I’ve been through the Doc’s , had hospital scans ……& the only thing ultimately advised was to wear compression socks ( which don’t work )

I’ve tried google & asked around but no one has an explanation/ answer ……..& then I’ve come across this site/Forum

So, good people ………. Any comments or experience please ???

Thanks for reading

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hi, how is your lower spine???
I have a long standing injury and have had very painful spasms and cramps since 1990.... in calf, foot.
However, since knee replacement haven't had any!
You could of course check out a Chiropractor. They are very good and can usually sort out where the problem might be.

Reactions: markgiddings

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, how is your lower spine???
I have a long standing injury and have had very painful spasms and cramps since 1990.... in calf, foot.
However, since knee replacement haven't had any!
You could of course check out a Chiropractor. They are very good and can usually sort out where the problem might be.

Thx Filly for super fast reply !! Lower spine a bit crook from 40 yrs windsurfing !!! But forgot to mention Varicose veins which some say should be removed. I’ll check out a Chiro. Thank you

Try taking quinine I was told this would help with my cramps i was on it a few years ago and they got better but different dr now and wont prescribe and I haven't found them but its in tonic water alylthough I don't like this when Im bad I will drink it

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
tried that ……. For 5 days in a row drank 2 litres a day …….. but thank you for your thought

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How are your sugar levels now. As a type 1 if I have cramp in the night, I invariably have levels too high and need insulin. Excruciating cramp was one of my big things pre diagnosis.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sympathise with you as I know what you're experiencing. Although I make sure I'm topped up with electrolytes by taking supplements, i.e Magnesium, potassium and salt, I still suffer from cramps. Luckily I don't suffer from swollen (holding water) ankles so I've no fear of taking too much salt.

Seasoning with Himalayan pink salt does seemed to have helped, I think it's the minerals in it, although the salt does help.

One of my habits is throwing the duvet off in the middle of the night because I get hot, this nearly always results in my legs getting cold and cramping. I do find sleeping with bed socks on helps quite a bit despite it being 'summer'.

Just wish I could still buy Milk of Magnesia at chemists, taking a spoonful of that worked really well, and quickly, to relieve the symptoms. You can still buy the product at quite a high price on Amazon and Ebay though.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good morning all.
I’m a highly active, normal weight 66 yo, who was diagnosed with T2 a year ago - much to my surprise !!! My levels were consistently high (28 - 30 ) upon diagnosis, so Metformin & 20/20 ml Insulin is used Daily

My main concern is the constant state of leg, foot & hand cramps I’m getting . Last night was the worst with both calves pulsing for some 20 minutes - absolute crying pain & agony

I’ve been through the Doc’s , had hospital scans ……& the only thing ultimately advised was to wear compression socks ( which don’t work )

I’ve tried google & asked around but no one has an explanation/ answer ……..& then I’ve come across this site/Forum

Thanks for reading
The following helped me to reduce incidents of cramps: drinking Fever-Tree tonic water and taking Magnesium Citrate tablets every day. Also rubbing Magnesium oil to the affected area during a painful cramp does give relief. I have never asked the GP for quinine tablets because I read about the side-effects.

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are your sugar levels now. As a type 1 if I have cramp in the night, I invariably have levels too high and need insulin. Excruciating cramp was one of my big things pre diagnosis.
Interesting ……. I hadn’t thought of taking extra readings whilst having the ‘super-excruciating’ ones - thank you . That will be an interesting record

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The following helped me to reduce incidents of cramps: drinking Fever-Tree tonic water and taking Magnesium Citrate tablets every day. Also rubbing Magnesium oil to the affected area during a painful cramp does give relief. I have never asked the GP for quinine tablets because I read about the side-effects.
Thx Elena ….. 2 mins on this forum has already given me more Hope & actions to try than a year with the routine checks !! I’ll order up some of the Mag tabs & Oil.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please ensure that the tablets are Magnesium Citrate (in my case Solgar). H&B make Magnesium did not help.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you taking Statins? these can cause muscle cramps in some people (they did with me)

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you taking Statins? these can cause muscle cramps in some people (they did with me)
No ……. I have deliberately chosen to avoid these, despite rec’d by the doc. There are some bad vibes about the proliferation of these !!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

Thanks for reading
If you've been on metformin for a year, you might be deficient in B12... Anyone check that? That stuff inhibits the uptake, and with too little, you can get absolute hellish cramps. If it's too much of a hassle getting bloodwork done (NHS has issues I gather), just maybe try a supplement for a bit and see whether it makes a difference?

Good luck!
Jo

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jo ….. Top man ……. That’s a new one on me !!! I’ll follow this one up. Many thx for your input cheers. Mark

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Something else that I should have mentioned is not to expect immediate relief. I need to take any supplements for a week or two before I feel the benefit.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... and another vote for magnesium.

Also a common cause not previously mentioned is dehydration. We tend to underestimate the fluid lost through perspiration, especially when physically active, so make sure you have plenty to drink. You can't beat water from the tap, but almost any beverage will do. Unfortunately, alcohol tends to exacerbate the problem.

Diabetics are known to be more susceptible to cramps than the general population. It can occur with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, but appears to be more prevalent with type 2, possibly because patients with insulin resistance tend to lose magnesium in their urine, contributing to lower levels.

Should you be unfortunate enough to experience another bout of cramps in your legs, whatever you do, don't point your feet! It's a natural reaction, but prolongs the agony. Instead grab your toes and pull upwards towards your knees. You may want to support your feet in bed with a pillow. I find that simple precaution prevents me from flexing my feet in my sleep.

zaffarn

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mark burch
Thanks for posting this question. I have exactly same problem since few days and wanted to find out why and what to do about it. This has helped me a lot. Basically I am T2 since last 5/6 years,.mostly managed by diet and Metformin, but in June I had pancreatitis and for some reason while in the hospital the nurses put me on insulin, I assume this was due to Nil-by-mouth routine treatment for pancreatitis, anyways long story short, I where into kitoacidosis while being in the hospital and lost almost all the fat and muscles, on the top of this I was discharged just with protein shakes and enzymes along with insulin without any firm dosage given to me. I managed to find the right insulin dose which kept my sugar within range but for last few days I have been getting cramps on calfs and it's getting worse day by day. I started walking, slowly but surely I am now able to walk around 200meters since last 4 days without getting exhausted but cramps aren't helping. Any advice is helpful

Zee

markgiddings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
... and another vote for magnesium.

Also a common cause not previously mentioned is dehydration. We tend to underestimate the fluid lost through perspiration, especially when physically active, so make sure you have plenty to drink. You can't beat water from the tap, but almost any beverage will do. Unfortunately, alcohol tends to exacerbate the problem.

Diabetics are known to be more susceptible to cramps than the general population. It can occur with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, but appears to be more prevalent with type 2, possibly because patients with insulin resistance tend to lose magnesium in their urine, contributing to lower levels.

Should you be unfortunate enough to experience another bout of cramps in your legs, whatever you do, don't point your feet! It's a natural reaction, but prolongs the agony. Instead grab your toes and pull upwards towards your knees. You may want to support your feet in bed with a pillow. I find that simple precaution prevents me from flexing my feet in my sleep.
I have adapted to using a 750 refillable bottle to ensure I have over 2L min a day of water alone. & because I “ Had” Terminal Prostate Cancer I had a reverse osmosis water filter installed !!!!!
Interesting to hear D people have susceptibility to cramping too ……..& good to remind us about pulling UP on the toes - cheers

Reactions: LivingLightly