Shakes

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi does anybody else feel really shaky and nervous even tho there not having a hypo I've been really shaky just lately and it seems to be getting worse but I don't know why it's happening

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You don't list what meds you are on.

What it could be is what is known as false hypos. What that means is your blood glucose levels have dropped down and because your body is use to higher levels, your body is reacting to the new levels, which means that you are doing well and they will go away. It's also called carb flu.
Hope you feel better soon.

djry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't list what meds you are on.

What it could be is what is known as false hypos. What that means is your blood glucose levels have dropped down and because your body is use to higher levels, your body is reacting to the new levels, which means that you are doing well and they will go away. It's also called carb flu.
Hope you feel better soon.
I'm on lantus in the morning then novorapid 3 times a day with each meal thanks for letting me know

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah!
It could be your meds!
You may have to refer to your diabetes team, for an adjustment in your dosages.
I'm tagging @Kristin251 as she knows more about than me!

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi does anybody else feel really shaky and nervous even tho there not having a hypo I've been really shaky just lately and it seems to be getting worse but I don't know why it's happening

What is your blood sugar when you're feeling shaky?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Between 4 or 5

They could be 'false hypos'. Although that level usnt officially a hypo, if you've been running a little high you can start to feel hypo symptoms at non-hypo blood levels.

Also, your blood sugar may be dropping so you feel that hypo feeling as you're going down. I get that sometimes if my bloodvsugar drops fast.

The other thing to say is that the meter has a margin of error, so a 4.1 coukd actually be a 3.4,.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@djry - you could be the same as me where your sugar drops fast when you're under 5. I start getting hypo symptoms usually between 4-5... definitely anything under 4.5. I questioned this with my endocrinologist several times and he explained to me that is because 5 is my 'safe' number and I'm to aim to stay above 5 at all times. He said once you start experiencing hypo symptoms you are in fact having a hypo and need to treat it. What it usually means is your body is reacting to the quick drop in sugar levels and it is warning you. I know if I don't start to treat my 4.5, I will be sitting on 3.7 easily 15 minutes or so later and still dropping.

I hope this helps. It may be a good idea to speak to your diabetes team about what your 'safe' number is (eg. it may be different to mine) and it may be you need dosage adjustments to your insulin. But since I've learnt to stay above my safe number I have had less hypos during the day at least.

I wish you the best. :)

secretary47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It could be your medication. I am on metformin 500 x 4 day, had a couple of similar episodes during the night, nurse told me that my blood sugar had dropped to 32 from 57 and has reduced my medication to 500 x 2 day and things seem to be improving.

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on same meds as DJRY and take my first meds about 6.30 am. I sometimes start to feel shaky about 11 - 11.30 in the mornng, so take a quick break and have a snack about then as my lunch break isn't until 1 pm. If I do a meter reading my figures are normally down between 4 & 5 at that time. I've been told to keep my figures above 4. I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago, but know my pattern and how I'm feeling to be able to be able to judge things without using my meter. Friends I work with also know the signs and will normally do the subtle 'are you feeling okay' if I don't seem quite right, as well as a few knowing where I keep my hypo kit!

Sooty2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter and Rice Pudding
I started to have this for the last 3 weeks, I get up and have the shakes for about 2 hours. I'm on Metformin Slow Release 500mg X 3, which I take in the evening. When I have tested my bloods have been only 7.8mmol.

I know how you feel the shakes are a horrible feeling.

You have not said if your Type1 or Type2.

I'm Type2 by the way.

Rosie'Ma

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For about a year after diagnosis I experience the same as you. If I felt like this I would test my blood sugar. Invariably it was below 5. I notice that I start to feel tired at around 5.5 so I have a small amount of carbon at that point, half a small Satsuma seems to do the trick! But if I'm still doing physical activity, a long walk or swimming then I would eat something different with a few more carbs, but slow release.
The last six months, however, I've not had a problem with this. Unfortunately my most recent Hba1c was 7.5. So now I'm on an extra Metformin and eating very low carb! Hey Ho,

JoJoCar

Type of diabetes
Carer
@djry - you could be the same as me where your sugar drops fast when you're under 5. I start getting hypo symptoms usually between 4-5... definitely anything under 4.5. I questioned this with my endocrinologist several times and he explained to me that is because 5 is my 'safe' number and I'm to aim to stay above 5 at all times. He said once you start experiencing hypo symptoms you are in fact having a hypo and need to treat it. What it usually means is your body is reacting to the quick drop in sugar levels and it is warning you. I know if I don't start to treat my 4.5, I will be sitting on 3.7 easily 15 minutes or so later and still dropping.

I hope this helps. It may be a good idea to speak to your diabetes team about what your 'safe' number is (eg. it may be different to mine) and it may be you need dosage adjustments to your insulin. But since I've learnt to stay above my safe number I have had less hypos during the day at least.

I wish you the best. :)

JoJoCar

Type of diabetes
Carer
Thanks for this - my 10 year old has complained of hypo symptoms and when tested been 4.5 ish . we haven't treated the symptoms and then found he is 3.5 ish soon after. We suspected that he was feeling unwell because he was actually dropping fast. We cycle a lot and I think we need to consider intervening sooner....

Reactions: 2 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this - my 10 year old has complained of hypo symptoms and when tested been 4.5 ish . we haven't treated the symptoms and then found he is 3.5 ish soon after. We suspected that he was feeling unwell because he was actually dropping fast. We cycle a lot and I think we need to consider intervening sooner....

Yes, my endocrinologist told me that it's important to treat as quickly as you can. I find myself that I use less quick acting carbs if I treat quickly. If I wait I have to use more quick acting carbs to get my level back up.

Another thing to remember is that our judgment is the first thing to go when we start to hypo and it's the last thing to return. My endo explained that to me as well. He said that even with a mild hypo (eg. 4.5ish or so) it still takes at least half an hour to get your judgment back once you've treated it. He warned me I'm not to drive for at least half an hour after a hypo. Of course because I lack judgment I have jumped in my car about 10 mins after one before and driven down the road as I was near home. But now I make sure I wait even if it means sitting in my car for a bit.

fuzzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do this. As soon as I'm under 5.5 I start getting shaky. It usually when I've bin busy, so have probably bun dropping but not realising, like when Im on the allotment and busy doing and I walk up to car and think wobbly starting. Usually have as boiled sweet and it goes off until we get home ( Im not driving) and I get proper food. I've always bin the same even when I wasn't diabetic I used to do it. I find it useful to get a hint before dropping too low.
Not done it do much recently as I have new drugs. GLP injection, and 3mg performing. Now the gliclazide is gone I don't drop as quickly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For those on glicizide, it is very susceptible to sudden drop in blood glucose levels.
Hence the hypo symptoms, without actually having a hypo.
Please consult your GP as your meds dosage may be too high for your current blood level range.