Shirataki noodles?

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are shirataki noodles good for you?

From what I've read they are basically just fibre and water - no nutrition otherwise. Fibre is always a good thing right?

I was thinking they'd be good when I really fancy some actual noodles. I can't handle the carbs in regular noodles.

Reactions: MissMuffett

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

From what I've read they are basically just fibre and water - no nutrition otherwise. Fibre is always a good thing right?

I was thinking they'd be good when I really fancy some actual noodles. I can't handle the carbs in regular noodles.
They're kind of rubbery and tasteless, but lacking flavor of their own, they end up being rather versatile. And won't do anything to your bloodsugars. Have at 'em.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They give me terrible tummy trouble and it was quite painful a couple of times so I don’t bother with them now, we’re fine for my BG though

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I have not tried those, but have tried bean noodles from Aldi and found them OK. though the colour may put some people off.

tobythekid123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For what it's worth I always have these konjac noodles by Yutaka. Recommend having it with a stir fry alongside protein and vegetables. You are correct in saying they don't have much flavour, this is true and you really need a sauce to mask this fact. However, they do add a lot of texture. They are a bit like impossible burgers only taste a bit like meat when disguised under sauce.

Keith Saunders

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to eat the food I used to.
I think they're the same as Konjac noodles. I've had those once; very odd and not very nice.
Funnily enough I don't mind the Konjac noodles, though I often flavour them with a bit of Soy or something similar. The konjac rice however is an awful replacement, so will stick to Cauliflower rice for that.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I tried a couple of different brands and just … yuck!
Now I use spiralised courgette (courgetti) instead, and they work for me. I also use them thinly sliced lengthwise for lasagne.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Fibre is always a good thing right?
It depends who you listen to. Dr Paul Mason did a study on consumption of fibre and according to his findings wasn’t beneficial. So I suppose you have to decide for yourself.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d honestly and easily choose to simply go without. They have a weird rubbery taste and texture. But then I never much liked pasta anyway so don’t miss it.

• Agree
Reactions: aylalake

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the important part to remember when using them is to rinse, rinse then rinse some more before cooking. If you don’t the smell is unpleasant.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

rhaardoerfer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do like them. I need the fiber to be regular. I cook them with coconut milk and Thai curry paste and anything else I like. Usually veggies and some protein. White fish, chicken, or tofu. Tip from one of my Chinese students was to freeze the tofu so that it absorbs sauce better

Reactions: Jasmin2000
I really like the Sea Tangle Noodle Company, Kelp Noodles - they can be a bit hard to come by but delicious if you can get them and they're very low carb.

aris

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are made from Konjac flour.

There is a line of rice and noodle substitutes made from it sold in many supermarket. Brand is "bare naked". Yes, no flavour - that comes from the sauce Or whatever else you are eating with it like a curry.