Short lancets

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought a testing kit - the Tee2 - and have been using the greenish lancets which came with it, with the device set to 2.
I have now looked at the box of lancets which I bought at the same time, from the same source, and they are blue, and when placed in the stabber, I had to turn it up to 7 to draw blood.
The box shows the pin to be 0.31mm - the ones on the greenish lancets are about double that length.
I had assumed that the lancets were a set length - obviously not.
I decided to post this in the general section, just to reach more people - had I mixed the different lancets I could have found it rather a shock to get a greenish lancet and the device set at 7 after using the blue ones.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The blue CareSens lancets are 0.31 mm in diameter and the green lancets are 0.36 mm in diameter so the green ones make a bigger hole which might account for more blood. The blue ones measure at about 2 mm long, I don't have any green ones any more but I don't remember them being any different. I always have used the middle depth on the SD lancing device whichever lancet I used.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was bored so I looked into this lancet question some more.....

As I thought the green and blue CareSens lancets are the same length but I have noticed the newer blue ones have a slightly different design, the needle is the same length but part of the needle is covered in plastic This is probably what you are seeing @Resurgam. However what determines the penetration is the distance from the tip of the needle to the square shoulder of the plastic as this shoulder hits a stop on the inside of the lancing device. If you have a basic lancing device like mine and you remove the screw cap and insert a used needle, pushing it into the cap you can see that only a short length of needle maybe 0.5mm protrudes even on the deepest setting, so the fact that part of the needle is covered doesn't make any difference.

The lancing device I got with my TEE2+ is called CareLance but I abandoned it and went back to my old SD one as the CareLance didn't always work.

lancets.JPG

D

Deleted member 308541

I still use my Multiclix lancing device which I got with a Accu-Chek Performa with my Abbot Freestyle Lite, no chance of different lancets sizes with the six lancet cartridges it uses,

Same applies to my Fastclix lancing device.

Reactions: Fruitella

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No matter what meter I happen to be using I always use the FastClix lancing device as I find it the best one for me.
And as @Tipetoo says there are no different lancet sizes just the cartridge which is easy to dispose of as well.

D

Deleted member 308541

I found that the depth settings on the Multiclix and Fastclix were about the same, I have mine set on 3.5. This depth gets through the scar tissue on my fingers with no extra force required.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used a green lancet - setting of 2 is fine for them, replaced it with a blue one and it did not break the skin - I will use it next time and turn it up again.

dpoet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least the TEE2 lancets are only about £4 for 50. My agamatrix ones are £14.