Type 2 Should I Classify Myself as ‘In Remission’?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Rachox, Is your fasting BG now normal and do you still need to keep something as soon as you get up so as to prevent a Liver dump?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox, Is your fasting BG now normal and do you still need to keep something as soon as you get up so as to prevent a Liver dump?

Hi @ringi my fasting blood sugars are always in the 5s but do still rise if I don’t eat straight away. I proved this as recently as a couple of weeks ago when I fasted for my blood test. That morning I woke to 5.3, after an hour it was 5.7, then after another hour it was 6.3. During that time I just drank water.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ringi my fasting blood sugars are always in the 5s but do still rise if I don’t eat straight away. I proved this as recently as a couple of weeks ago when I fasted for my blood test. That morning I woke to 5.3, after an hour it was 5.7, then after another hour it was 6.3. During that time I just drank water.

That implies you are either not producing enough insulin, or you are still insulin resistant. Or at least that's how I understand how the liver/pancreas work.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That implies you are either not producing enough insulin, or you are still insulin resistant. Or at least that's how I understand how the liver/pancreas work.

:grumpy:
The rise is however way better than when I was first diagnosed when my blood sugar would rise by 2mmol/l in an hour! I don’t know if there’s still time for further improvement?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That morning I woke to 5.3, after an hour it was 5.7, then after another hour it was 6.3.

That seems to put you into the prediabetes range, yet your A1C clearly puts you into the none diabatic range......

I have the same issue with my A1C (from last week) being 38, but I sometimes get fasting readings as high as 6.5. (But unlike you I have to not been eating as soon as I get up so as to stop the liver dump.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:grumpy:
The rise is however way better than when I was first diagnosed when my blood sugar would rise by 2mmol/l in an hour! I don’t know if there’s still time for further improvement?

Fingers crossed it will improve. :) But at least you know how to control it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That seems to put you into the prediabetes range, yet your A1C clearly puts you into the none diabatic range......

I have the same issue with my A1C (from last week) being 38, but I sometimes get fasting readings as high as 6.5. (But unlike you I have to not been eating as soon as I get up so as to stop the liver dump.)

Oh the HbA1c!!! I wonder just how many of us are conned by it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed it will improve. :) But at least you know how to control it.

I hope! If I eat straight away it seems to control it well, my blood sugar is always very little different from fasting to 2 hours after breakfast.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Same thing happens with me, nothing to eat when I get up just a coffee and it still goes up! K
My Hba1C was 40 prediabetic range also! K

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As I understand it, people without diabetes have liver dumps that are so small that our meters can not detect them. It seems that lots of us get HbA1c results that are better than our fasting BG.

As there has not even been a long-term study yet investigating if improving A1C with low carb reduces complications, I can only go on my instinct and assume the level of drops we have had, have a great benefit. (The study is in progress and will be published in about 4 years time.)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, people without diabetes have liver dumps that are so small that our meters can not detect them. It seems that lots of us get HbA1c results that are better than our fasting BG.

I bet you can't explain mine then! On diagnosis my FBG was 7. I didn't follow low carb or have a meter for 3 months. I got the meter (before low carb) and since that time my FBG has been in the 5s. I only rose slightly during the morning, maybe half a mmol/l but since starting the coffee & cream regime in January 2017 I stay the same or drop. I don't get FBG tests at the surgery, but one happened to be included last summer for some reason and it was 5.4 mid morning, completely fasting. Today, by accident, I had a cup of tea with skimmed milk instead of coffee/cream and still dropped. And before anyone comes back at me, all my pre-meals are 4s or 5s, bedtimes mid 5s and 2 hours post meal averages are around 6. I very rarely see above 6.8 even after a more carby meal. Yet can I get a good HbA1c? Can I heck. :banghead:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet you can't explain mine then! On diagnosis my FBG was 7. I didn't follow low carb or have a meter for 3 months. I got the meter (before low carb) and since that time my FBG has been in the 5s. I only rose slightly during the morning, maybe half a mmol/l but since starting the coffee & cream regime in January 2017 I stay the same or drop. I don't get FBG tests at the surgery, but one happened to be included last summer for some reason and it was 5.4 mid morning, completely fasting. Today, by accident, I had a cup of tea with skimmed milk instead of coffee/cream and still dropped. And before anyone comes back at me, all my pre-meals are 4s or 5s, bedtimes mid 5s and 2 hours post meal averages are around 6. I very rarely see above 6.8 even after a more carby meal. Yet can I get a good HbA1c? Can I heck. :banghead:
Clearly your red blood cells don't renew often enough - have you tried leeches? :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Clearly your red blood cells don't renew often enough - have you tried leeches? :)

Or become a blood donor?

Reactions: ringi

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know T2 diabetes can't be cured indefinite,ok but I have lost 6 stone in weight and had a few naughty treats lately with some heavy carb meals as I slipped a little into carb world and still have a 4.8 approx morning reading and a 5.9 approx 2 hours after food .Has my weight loss made my insulin more responsive by not having to work as hard with a greater mass,if I stayed at my weight of 11.9 would I be in remission indefinite? I don't know.

Reactions: HeathKick2017

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i asked DN if my HBA1c returned to pre diabetes level if i would still have to disclose Type2 diabetes on holiday insurance application and she said yes... because level could rise again and officially i would always be diabetic