Type 2 Should I Classify Myself as ‘In Remission’?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I took out holiday incurance it asked if I had ever been diagnosed with diabetes not if I currently have diabetes.

Reactions: manhattan

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I took out holiday incurance it asked if I had ever been diagnosed with diabetes not if I currently have diabetes.
mine asked for any current medical conditions and if i’ve ever had heart or respiratory conditions.. which unfortunately i have

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i asked DN if my HBA1c returned to pre diabetes level if i would still have to disclose Type2 diabetes on holiday insurance application and she said yes... because level could rise again and officially i would always be diabetic

Despite my title of this thread and my subsequent decision to change my avatar to “in remission” I still consider I have Diabetes so would declare it for insurance purposes.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I have logged into my profile several times to change my diabetic classification, and hovered over the Type 2 (in remission) button. There is also a ‘Reversed’ option too. I don’t really like either term as I just consider myself very well controlled with my last three HbA1cs in the mid 30s. I feel I deserve one of the alternative classifications (sorry, blowing my own trumpet:oops:) and I think I prefer ‘In Remission’. Shall I change it or shan’t I? What do you all think?
HI with those values sounds like either '' in remission or reversed ''will apply . good luck

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Despite my title of this thread and my subsequent decision to change my avatar to “in remission” I still consider I have Diabetes so would declare it for insurance purposes.
There is something on the Newcastle University MRI website called information for doctors, and I think it describes this situation and makes it clear ...here is the link and it states :
[ In the UK, the state of being post-diabetic is recognised by the Reid code C10P, permitting the individual to be declared non-diabetic (for insurance and all other matters) but with continuation of annual checks and NHS remuneration for diabetes care.]
So the GP drs get paid still as if you are diabetic but you are NOT diabetic as far as insurance goes.
BTW I think DN are not really as clued up as they should be . Hope this helps

<http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclac...entre/files/2017 Information for doctors.pdf>

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Well my GP has changed all my computer records, without even discussing it with me, to show my diabetes is resolved and back dated it to when I first went under 48 (June 2014), and has moved my original diagnosis from "current problems" to "past problems". Noticed it on my on-line records and spoke to him over the phone. He said as the WHO stipulates under 48 to be normal, and as I have remained under 48 for nearly 4 years without meds, he considers I am resolved. Full stop. My lowest HbA1c was 41. It is currently 43. I don't agree with him.

@Rachox you change your status to whichever one you prefer - although are you still on Metformin? Does that make a difference to "official" classification.? It did in Prof Taylor's definition, but didn't in the Virta Health one.
Hi bluetit - I THINK those readings of 41-43 are the pre- diabetic range , or described as impaired fasting glucose ... just not fully diabetic but above normal.
You can search the website for a chart about the Hb A1c units and so on.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is something on the Newcastle University MRI website called information for doctors, and I think it describes this situation and makes it clear ...here is the link and it states :
[ In the UK, the state of being post-diabetic is recognised by the Reid code C10P, permitting the individual to be declared non-diabetic (for insurance and all other matters) but with continuation of annual checks and NHS remuneration for diabetes care.]
So the GP drs get paid still as if you are diabetic but you are NOT diabetic as far as insurance goes.
BTW I think DN are not really as clued up as they should be . Hope this helps

<http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/2017 Information for doctors.pdf>
Thanks for that info. I was only really wanting to change the diabetic status on my avatar here. I’m quite happy to stay as diabetic on my medical records. I think as I’m still on Metformin I wouldn’t qualify for reclassification at the Drs anyway.
I can’t get the link you provided to work unfortunately.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bluetit - I THINK those readings of 41-43 are the pre- diabetic range , or described as impaired fasting glucose ... just not fully diabetic but above normal.
You can search the website for a chart about the Hb A1c units and so on.

Thank you. Yes, I do know all the diagnosis ranges. 42 to 47 is pre-diabetic. My point was my doctor declared me as "diabetes resolved" without any discussion. I am still "at risk" . I am not "resolved". My diabetes has not gone away, it is just very well controlled by diet. I would have preferred he kept me on the register for several reasons.

Reactions: dbr10

Dark Horse

This article in the BMJ discusses patients who achieve remission of diabetes and gives advice to GPs about what Read codes they should use:- http://www.bmj.com/content/358/bmj.j4030.full

It says
The Read code dictionary includes codes 21263 or 212H for “diabetes resolved” and C10P for “diabetes in remission.” Diabetes resolved is used for patients misdiagnosed with diabetes or in whom diabetes was secondary to a factor that has since been removed, such as withdrawal of steroid treatment. Such patients do not require annual reviews or surveillance. Code C10P should be used for patients who have achieved remission of type 2 diabetes, usually by substantial weight loss. These patients may be considered non-diabetic for matters such as insurance, driving, or employment but as the code is diagnostic they will remain scheduled for annual reviews and retinal screening programmes.

Reactions: Looseboy and dbr10

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to the forums but seeing the "in remission" on your avatar has helped me out a lot because its shown me that it can be done, I started making these videos for myself as a journal and with each video I end it with "to stay off medication for as long as I can and remission".

Have a good day / night

Reactions: Guzzler

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a chance to speak to Professor Taylor at the DUK Insider event.

His programme defines remission in terms of Non-diabetic:
HbA1c
Fasting Blood Glucose

They do not consider the 2 hour post-prandial difference.

( they also have a very sensative scanner to measure visceral lipids )

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Thanks for that info. I was only really wanting to change the diabetic status on my avatar here. I’m quite happy to stay as diabetic on my medical records. I think as I’m still on Metformin I wouldn’t qualify for reclassification at the Drs anyway.
I can’t get the link you provided to work unfortunately.
Ok go to the university website, MRI section, research, diabetes, and look around there for info for drs. and any other info that you have time for. Prof Taylors work is described, how he got people reversed, even if they were on medication to start with - magic story.