Should I eat breakfast.....!

LadyJay

Hi
I was diagnosed with prediabetes a while ago and, in researching, came across this forum. Ive read and taken on board lots of ideas. I’ve been cutting right back on carbs and have slowly lost a stone. I also found that I am able to do the 16/8 diet to get rid of visceral fat and can easily go without breakfast. I recently saw an article (not this website) that stated that by skipping breakfast you increase the risk of developing T2, and anything up to five days missing breakfast will greatly increase the risk!
I’m now confused as I do it everyday! Unfortunately I can’t find the article I read. Has anyone heard of this and can I safely dismiss it?
Thanks

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LadyJay and welcome

I think you can safely dismiss the article you read. There are many on this forum - myself included - who skip breakfast (and other meals) and have successfully achieved non diabetic HbA1c levels and sustained them. There is a lot of evidence to support the efficacy of intermittent fasting in controlling type 2 diabetes, particularly the work of Dr Jason Fung.

As this is your first post I’m including a link to some useful information for newbies.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Congratulations on your weight loss to date and do keep us informed of your progress.

Reactions: Brunneria
M

Member496333

I eat when I’m hungry and not before. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day only in so much that the more time has passed since you last ate, the better.

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
By using a meter I saw that when I was delaying eating (so as to take Metformin after I had been out and done things) my numbers were quite high. I experimented with eating breakfast once I threw out the tablets and my levels dropped, so I eat morning and evening as that is what suits me.
Perhaps try a couple of weeks no breakfast, then switch to eating breakfast and see if your levels are lower.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'v skipped breakfast regularly for most of my life - but it's taken me over 70 years to develop T2. :wideyed:

I still work on the basis of I'll have breakfast if I'm hungry, but then often just a creamy drink is all I need. (And I've managed to keep my levels down to pre-diabetic for getting on for six years now,, frequent lack of breakfast notwithstanding,)

But try using your meter to check what suits you best as @Resurgam has suggested.

Robbity

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also rarely bothered with a breakfast. First meal of the day is usually lunch unless I am hungry and then I may start earlier with a Brunch.

On the occasions when I start the day with a breakast, my BG levels spend most of the day all over the place. They are more level for me with this routine.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi
I was diagnosed with prediabetes a while ago and, in researching, came across this forum. Ive read and taken on board lots of ideas. I’ve been cutting right back on carbs and have slowly lost a stone. I also found that I am able to do the 16/8 diet to get rid of visceral fat and can easily go without breakfast. I recently saw an article (not this website) that stated that by skipping breakfast you increase the risk of developing T2, and anything up to five days missing breakfast will greatly increase the risk!
I’m now confused as I do it everyday! Unfortunately I can’t find the article I read. Has anyone heard of this and can I safely dismiss it?
Thanks

I think that article is a steaming pile of you know what, but I'm sure the cereal manufacturers etc would fully support it. :banghead:

I eat when hungry and stop when full. That's my guide. :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently saw an article (not this website) that stated that by skipping breakfast you increase the risk of developing T2
It was probably backed by the breakfast cereal producers of the world or (if from Australia) Sanitarium the commercial arm of the Seventh Day Adventist church.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Thanks

It’s very safe to break your overnight fast at two in the afternoon or even three days later.

Has anyone mentioned Jason Fung yet?

LadyJay

Thanks, yes, I’ve heard of him but I’m a bit overwhelmed about the amount of information around that I haven’t yet dipped into him!

M

Member496333

It’s very safe to break your overnight fast at two in the afternoon or even three days later.

Yup. I had 400g of liver for dinner last night (OMAD) and I am not in the least bit hungry now. I think I'll have breakfast on Sunday :hilarious:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a test meter? So that you can check what happens to your blood glucose if you do (and don't) eat breakfast?

I find that my blood glucose rises gently throughout the morning, until I have something to eat.
That can be as little as 25 g of cheese, or a drink with cream in it but without it, my blood glucose will rise until around 11 or 12 o'clock. So the earlier I snaffle that snackette, the lower my bg stays. :D For a long while I had a pack of Brazil nuts on my bedside table, ready to chomp on before my feet hit the floor.

Obviously, I don't count 25g of cheese or a single nut as a breakfast!

So while breakfast isn't 'necessary' and I don't get hungry, and can happily fast until evening when I want to, I still achieve lower blood glucose averages by 'breaking my fast' with a small portion of protein or fat, soon after I wake up.

I guess we all vary, and the best thing to do is to check out how your body works using your meter. :)