Type 2 Should I fall off the wagon

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I was diagnosed in September 2018 with a hba1c of 66. Just had my new hba1c and it is now 41. I follow the keto diet and have done this through sheer determination. I don't enjoy being restricted but stick with it through will power and the fact that I feel incredible.

My question is.... I want to book a holiday to Sorrento, but I know that I will be very restricted in what I can eat. (I struggle in British restaurants and would rather not eat out). I really want to fully experience the holiday with no hold barred. Should I eat anything and everything for a week and start again when I come back?

What would you do

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised that you think that Sorrento won't be good for keto. Lots of meat and fish and green veg just avoid the pasta , pizza and spuds.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's one of those questions which will get myriad answers, @Jillyfl, and possibly quite a bit of forceful 'I'd never fall off the wagon'. My take? Christmas is the once-a-year time I'll have spuds etc and for me I can get back on the wagon (or whatever one wishes to call it) after this. Last year I had a week's holiday with relatives I haven't seen for a very long time and they had spent a lot of time and effort making delicious meals for the get-together. Rather than disappoint them (these family gatherings are rare) I was just as careful as I could be, but relaxed and enjoyed the special time if it all went to pot. Of course everyone is different in what they can or cannot do or wish to do, and everyone knows their own mental and physical approach to holidays, special events and so on, and sometimes it can be extremely difficult if not impossible to stay on track. Personally, it's a matter of just being sensible when I can and not worrying too much about having something usually off the menu. I remember a member on here posting that she had had a fab week's holiday in Cornwall with wall-to-wall ice cream, pasties, cream teas and fish and chips, and then got back to LCHF with no disasters. But it can't be said enough, everyone's different, and where you are going you should be able to eat fairly well on LC. Have a great holiday!:)

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To me “ falling off the wagon” always seems to imply a passive accident outside of our control - “ stepping off the wagon” implies an active choice with the option of choosing to step back on.
Personally I choose not to step off my particular wagon so usually go self catering when on holiday leaving me the option to fully control what food / meals are easily available to eat

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to Disney land Paris in February full board,I'm not a big fan of chips or rice or pasta , so will stick to the meat and veg for main courses but I am going to have some desserts . I Know I will get back to LCHF when I return . My view is that I'm on holiday and its a time to enjoy it all . Just my way of seeing it but it is up to you in the end .
Christmas I had the full dinner with real chocolate pudding and custard and it never spiked my sugar much and the numbers have been in good ranges so that was a tester for me. Plus we're going to be walking a lot daily so that should help .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't go on holiday right now, but when we can again, I think we'll be on the first flight back to Venice. Except, I wouldn't know how to keto there properly, because I don't speak the language, but I do know I'd try... (If only to avoid the carb flu when I return!) From what I understand though, the Italians split up their meals in courses different from ours... And there's a carby course; you can just skip "Primo" entirely (risotto, pasta etc) and double up on the secundo or insalata courses? No idea whether that'd work, but worth a try. I mean, there's a LCHF diet called the Mediterranian, so... Should be doable on meats, veggies and cheeses. IF you want, of course. I don't know how I'd do in Venice without some of their fabulous ice cream, but I do think I'd try. Would also probably have a little card in English and (googled) Italian with me, saying I'm diabetic and therefor eat low carb, (no pasta, rice etc) and whether they can help me pick out something that suits me, with some mille grazie plonked in.

The Italians have a wonderful, keto-friendly kitchen, but it might take some doing. Besides that.... Pizza. Ice cream. I don't know whether my resolve would be strong enough, but then, I have a husband whose plate I can steal a bite from without breaking keto.

It's really the same as it is with Christmas; some break their diet for a few days, others find a work-around. Personal choice, up to you.

As for restaurants, I have found that I have relatively little trouble asking them to adjust dishes to suit me. I just ask really nicely whether I can be a difficult customer, and tip well when we settle up. (They'd rather adjust a dish than throw perfectly good food out). The other day we celebrated my husband's belated birthday at the Efteling amusementpark, and I had two meals there: fries got swapped out with extra salad both times, eggs came without their bread on my request, and oh my, that steak was wonderful... If you just ask for extra veggies of salad to replace fries, bread and such... You can go a long way. Even Burger King and McD's are happy to flip me a burger without a bun, no questions asked. I do tend to check menu's online before I go anywhere, so I don't get overwhelmed when there's a server beside me, but salads and eggs are my safe go-to's, as is any kind of proper meat or oooh, salmon. I just ask for veggies instead of fries/spuds/rice and voila, done. Took me a little over a year and a half to get the confidence to tweak recepies, but my usual haunts already know there's a tip at the end of it for their trouble. ;) *(Yes, eating out has become more expensive this way... But also very enjoyable. :) )

Keto shouldn't feel like a prison. The new diet is a lifetime committment, but it has to be doable. So have your cheat meals if you want to on trips, if you really need that to be able to enjoy your holiday. But maybe look into going low carb/high fat (as in, moderately low carb, rather than keto), when you have achieved the weight and bloodsugars you want and are stable... Because if keto is making you miserable, it's not sustainable for the next 30, 50 years. I like this way of eating and I feel good on it, and getting slowly more confident in eating out... But I realise that doesn't go for everybody. Use it as a means to an end, then go from there.

And whatever you do... Enjoy your holiday! ;)

Reactions: Charis1213

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I'm surprised that you think that Sorrento won't be good for keto. Lots of meat and fish and green veg just avoid the pasta , pizza and spuds.
But its all pasta and potatoes and delicious pastries and desserts. I looked at traveller photos and breakfast consists of different cereals croissants and pastries, orange juice and toast. Looks like I'll have to keep my portions small but have everything. There would be no pleasure in eating otherwise....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But its all pasta and potatoes and delicious pastries and desserts. I looked at traveller photos and breakfast consists of different cereals croissants and pastries, orange juice and toast. Looks like I'll have to keep my portions small but have everything. There would be no pleasure in eating otherwise....
Have you been to Italy before?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check the hotel's breakfast options. Ours had eggs any which way we wanted them, and really good coffee... Italy has wonderful meat, sausages, fish, veggies, all of which are keto... ;) But hey, do what you want. Just do keep a meter with you. If you feel off, check, and if you're high, just take a little walk or something before hitting the pasta. I know I feel horrible if my bloods are up, and you don't want high bloodsugars ruining your vacation either.

Jillyfl

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swimming
I can't go on holiday right now, but when we can again, I think we'll be on the first flight back to Venice. Except, I wouldn't know how to keto there properly, because I don't speak the language, but I do know I'd try... (If only to avoid the carb flu when I return!) From what I understand though, the Italians split up their meals in courses different from ours... And there's a carby course; you can just skip "Primo" entirely (risotto, pasta etc) and double up on the secundo or insalata courses? No idea whether that'd work, but worth a try. I mean, there's a LCHF diet called the Mediterranian, so... Should be doable on meats, veggies and cheeses. IF you want, of course. I don't know how I'd do in Venice without some of their fabulous ice cream, but I do think I'd try. Would also probably have a little card in English and (googled) Italian with me, saying I'm diabetic and therefor eat low carb, (no pasta, rice etc) and whether they can help me pick out something that suits me, with some mille grazie plonked in.

The Italians have a wonderful, keto-friendly kitchen, but it might take some doing. Besides that.... Pizza. Ice cream. I don't know whether my resolve would be strong enough, but then, I have a husband whose plate I can steal a bite from without breaking keto.

It's really the same as it is with Christmas; some break their diet for a few days, others find a work-around. Personal choice, up to you.

As for restaurants, I have found that I have relatively little trouble asking them to adjust dishes to suit me. I just ask really nicely whether I can be a difficult customer, and tip well when we settle up. (They'd rather adjust a dish than throw perfectly good food out). The other day we celebrated my husband's belated birthday at the Efteling amusementpark, and I had two meals there: fries got swapped out with extra salad both times, eggs came without their bread on my request, and oh my, that steak was wonderful... If you just ask for extra veggies of salad to replace fries, bread and such... You can go a long way. Even Burger King and McD's are happy to flip me a burger without a bun, no questions asked. I do tend to check menu's online before I go anywhere, so I don't get overwhelmed when there's a server beside me, but salads and eggs are my safe go-to's, as is any kind of proper meat or oooh, salmon. I just ask for veggies instead of fries/spuds/rice and voila, done. Took me a little over a year and a half to get the confidence to tweak recepies, but my usual haunts already know there's a tip at the end of it for their trouble. ;) *(Yes, eating out has become more expensive this way... But also very enjoyable. :) )

Keto shouldn't feel like a prison. The new diet is a lifetime committment, but it has to be doable. So have your cheat meals if you want to on trips, if you really need that to be able to enjoy your holiday. But maybe look into going low carb/high fat (as in, moderately low carb, rather than keto), when you have achieved the weight and bloodsugars you want and are stable... Because if keto is making you miserable, it's not sustainable for the next 30, 50 years. I like this way of eating and I feel good on it, and getting slowly more confident in eating out... But I realise that doesn't go for everybody. Use it as a means to an end, then go from there.

And whatever you do... Enjoy your holiday! ;)
Keto does feel like a prison at the moment. I survived Christmas because we didn't go anywhere. The only thing I ate that was "wrong" on Christmas Day was I had gravy and one parsnip and my blood sugar went to 9.8 !! My body is very sensitive and I cant sway from the straight and narrow. I used to love to cook Nigella recipes, Jamie Oliver and Nigel Slater. I Love baking and still bake for my husband. It is hard at times, but I know I will stick to it because I have to. I don't really know what I will end up doing on holiday. I suppose I wont totally fall off the wagon. The thought of delicious foods, pastries and desserts and of course prosecco is soooo appealing ...

M

Member496333

I personally don’t find ketogenic eating in the least bit restrictive. Quite the opposite. I now enjoy all the foods that I had always been told would make me drop dead of a heart attack. Having said that I’m very experienced at it now. I think it just takes time to adjust your way of eating after a lifetime of being programmed to believe that filling my stomach with stodge is the way that we are supposed to feel satisfied.

For me keto has been a revelation and I genuinely wouldn’t go back to eating carbohydrate even if I thought I could :)

Reactions: Robbity

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should I fall off the wagon

It's all about your mindset.

If you want to make a success of dealing with your T2D with diet, then it really needs to be a way of life.

If you consider it a chore or restrictive, and refer to it as being "on the wagon" it is going to be very difficult.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto does feel like a prison at the moment. I survived Christmas because we didn't go anywhere. The only thing I ate that was "wrong" on Christmas Day was I had gravy and one parsnip and my blood sugar went to 9.8 !! My body is very sensitive and I cant sway from the straight and narrow. I used to love to cook Nigella recipes, Jamie Oliver and Nigel Slater. I Love baking and still bake for my husband. It is hard at times, but I know I will stick to it because I have to. I don't really know what I will end up doing on holiday. I suppose I wont totally fall off the wagon. The thought of delicious foods, pastries and desserts and of course prosecco is soooo appealing ...
Prosecco shouldn't be a problem, 2 grams of carbs per glass... ;) And you can still bake, there's loads of recepies over on dietdoctor.com... From chocolate cake to keto breads. And Nigella has low carb recepies... http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipe-collection/low-carb-food.html And Jamie's goodness can be adjusted quite often... Just use an alternative for the carby bits, like spiralised courgette, cauliflower rice or konjac pasta. The meat/fish/poultry and veggies don't need much adjusting.

I have a feeling you're overrestricting maybe? There's so much great food out there. And once you have keto-ed for a while your insulin resistance will most likely improve, so you probably won't have to keto forever, and switch to moderate low carb. (May feel like it though.)

I'm assuming you'll be walking a lot in Italy. Just try to balance out the additional carbs by walking them off? You already seem to feel like you're going to fail, though there's no actual failing about it... If you plan this in properly, as in, spread it out over the day/week/fortnight, rather than just binging everything you can get your hands on in a single afternoon... I don't see much of a problem. Pace yourself, enjoy yourself with daily treats, and have a good time. No guilt-trips, just trips. :)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
what type of sweetener do you use when baking , i hate artificial sweeteners as my phobia is that they cause migraines . I have tried the coconut flour bread its not bad at all .

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what type of sweetener do you use when baking , i hate artificial sweeteners as my phobia is that they cause migraines . I have tried the coconut flour bread its not bad at all .
So don't use artificial ones. Erythritol and stevia are natural. They do have strong flavors though. Haven't tried monk's fruit, not available here. Maybe it is in the UK?

Reactions: Charis1213

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You not in the UK ?
Nope. I'm Dutch. Ended up here after the Dutch diabetes forums were filled with people who were as lost as I was... Low carb wasn't a thing. And I don't think I was quite allowed to talk about it there either. I've found my tribe. ;)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
w
Nope. I'm Dutch. Ended up here after the Dutch diabetes forums were filled with people who were as lost as I was... Low carb wasn't a thing. And I don't think I was quite allowed to talk about it there either. I've found my tribe. ;)
wow that's wonderful :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No never lol
Ok then you will find Italian cuisine a little more varied than pasta and pizza and to be honest I would try to avoid both when eating in Italy. Also breakfast pastries can be more a french thing.. juice of course a huge no no whichever country you are in!
Check out the various anti-pasti.. cold meats, olives, grilled cold veg.. different varieties of fish and meats cooked in different ways. Maybe try and find a hotel with a decent breakfast buffet which should include eggs.meats and cheeses. Great coffee and yes have a couple of gelato but there's no need to turn it into a carb fest.