Should I go on a DESMOND course?

test_positive

My doctor has put me on an NHS DESMOND course to provide me information on Diabetes T2. I was diagnosed in June and the course is in September. When I was first diagnosed, I wanted to find out everything I could about this disease. With the help of this forum and a couple of books, I feel that I have a reasonable understanding and my readings seem 'reasonable'.

Question is - would I learn any more from going on the DESMOND course? My guess is that it provides pretty basic information to cater for those who have not had the time, opportunity or incliniation to research for themselves. But perhaps it's somewhere to meet others recently diagnosed.

The course lasts for one day.

I really welcome views from others who have been on the course.

Thank you!

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Like you I had done my own reseach and had already settled into an eating pattern that agreed with me but I went on the Desmond course anyway as my doctor seemed to think it was important. In MY opinion it was a complete waste of my time. I disagreed with quite alot of what was said - especially about the food we should be eating and felt slightly patronised. All the people on my course had not researched etc.. their condition and seemed happy to accept all the advice without question. At lunchtime we were given sandwiches, grapes and biscuits - all of which I refused and so went to the local newsagent to buy some peanuts and didn't return for the second half!
I think the course might be useful for people who have not been given any information about diabetes but until the health proffessionals delivering the course realise that there is more than one type of diet and that you don't have to eat bucket loads of carbs to survive then I feel it can be slightly misleading.

I do stress this is all just MY opinion! :)

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Truffle said:
Like you I had done my own reseach and had already settled into an eating pattern that agreed with me but I went on the Desmond course anyway as my doctor seemed to think it was important. In MY opinion it was a complete waste of my time. I disagreed with quite alot of what was said - especially about the food we should be eating and felt slightly patronised. All the people on my course had not researched etc.. their condition and seemed happy to accept all the advice without question. At lunchtime we were given sandwiches, grapes and biscuits - all of which I refused and so went to the local newsagent to buy some peanuts and didn't return for the second half!
I think the course might be useful for people who have not been given any information about diabetes but until the health proffessionals delivering the course realise that there is more than one type of diet and that you don't have to eat bucket loads of carbs to survive then I feel it can be slightly misleading.

I do stress this is all just MY opinion! :)

This seems unfortunately a repeat of what appears to happen a lot at the DESMOND course, I gave I a miss just upon reading the leaflets that were given to me.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I've been on the X-PERT course & the refresher course. The dietitian leading it invited me because I wrote to her with my low carb experience.

Now
Third session - the dietician stressed that we should be on MINIMUM carbs & suggested 135 g per day as the figure, rather than the 300-400 you eat if you follow the DUK recommendations. (As I used to.)

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
After reading these posts,Ithink I'll give the Desmond day a miss.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
greyposter wrote
Ithink I'll give the Desmond day a miss.

You traitor, you, damaging your GP's attainment figures.
Actually not sure whether they affect their performance targets, but it must affect their Brownie points :lol:

I also declined, expecting it to be a waste of time for the reasons Truffle described.

Far better to control your diabetes, and have it reflected in your HbA1c.

Geoff (promoting self-education, and ignoring so-called 'experts.')

bluenoselouie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
100% agree with Truffle. I too went armed with information gleaned from this forum and had the audacity to disagree with most of what the dietitian had to say regarding starchy carbs etc. All of the other people on the course hadn't got a clue and seemed content with accepting the advice given: in fact talking to a few afterwards I got the impression that they thought I should not be contradicting the diabetes 'experts' :shock:

Waste of time. :yawn:

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
I'm learning by testing,bodies reaction to foods and advice and guidance from this site.

Scorpius121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
bluenoselouie said:
100% agree with Truffle. I too went armed with information gleaned from this forum and had the audacity to disagree with most of what the dietitian had to say regarding starchy carbs etc. All of the other people on the course hadn't got a clue and seemed content with accepting the advice given: in fact talking to a few afterwards I got the impression that they thought I should not be contradicting the diabetes 'experts' :shock:

Waste of time. :yawn:

Yes...You should.
They are very informative. To the person who had the (audacity to disagree with the dietitian) all I can say is: Why can't people like you join in on the DESMOND forums. I went on two occassions. I met people who were more informative the the advisors. Maybe because they have a "hands on" experiance with the disease & not a "9 to 5" one. If I had an idea about carbs etc beforehand things may have been different now. I feel we need to be informed about diabetes by all means available because there is nothing standard about the disease & it is a constant battle as in my case, no two days are the same. Regardless of what I do or eat. Some days I take a lot of insulin as BG is 26+ & other days I will be 5.2 before or after meals.

One way or the other, you will only come away from the DESMOND course a little more enlightened.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
test_positive said:
But perhaps it's somewhere to meet others recently diagnosed.

That's exactly right TP :thumbup:

When I did my DAFNE course (for type 1's) it was great meeting and chatting with people who lived with the same condition, we can all learn something new from one-another (no matter how small) and if I were in your shoes I'd certainly go along with an open-mind.

test_positive

Truffle said:
At lunchtime we were given sandwiches, grapes and biscuits - all of which I refused and so went to the local newsagent to buy some peanuts and didn't return for the second half!

At least on the one they've offered me they said to bring your own lunch! :wink:

Jakjo

Hello,

I was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and attended the Desmond course this week. I have started on a very low carb diet and still learning. I have to say I actually found it very useful and as newly diagnosed it was good to meet a group of people face to face and sharing their experiences. Oddly enough a couple simply didn't care but I guess that's down to them.

The facilitators were very informative and helpful, explaining what exactly was going on with our insides with this disease.They also went heavily into self testing (I think I was the only one in the group that did). The dietician "did" go into starches but I think geared that more towards the people who were still happily (thinking) eating plates of chips and explained portions. I think it's important not to judge these people and if an inital step is to cut the portions before they realise then that's all good. I took my own thoughts and ideas from this and used the experience to educate myself and to hear other peoples stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and some of what the dietician said didn't suit me but alot did. Both facilitators were more than happy to answer questions as they came up.

I do see alot of bad comments on here .Maybe I got lucky but I "do" think it important to keep an open mind afterall we (like our dietry requirements) are all very different in how we handle, manage and view the disease. The facilitors have to be very aware of this themselves and need to adapt to everyone. I think they did a great job.

I am very determined to control my Diabetes and lower my cholestral and think I am definitely heading the right way.
I have been cutting out my carbs and trying to control the fats due to high cholestral. I finally have my Lipid clinic appointment in 2 weeks.

For me, it's testing, testing, testing, exercise and very low carbs but that's me and what's working for me right now :) It may well be something else I need to adjust in a few months time.

xx

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
just been given my DESMOND course dates... sadly, it's two half days, and this means I have to be off work for two whole days as the start and finish times do not fit in well with being able to get back to work for the afternoon...

wondering whether to decline or else to turn up and put the cat amongst the pigeons if they try and tell me to eat more carbs and cut out the fats...

been experimenting... 4 slices of bread with houmous on for lunch today (56g of carb total) and my BS is still over 12 over two hours later... and that was with a pre reading of 5.6... (won't be doing that again in a hurry)

Diet controlled only, so haven't the "luxury" of being able to dial in insulin for the carb load in the meal...

wondering just how badly controlled others are who haven't heard of cutting back on carbs.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Paul_c said:
just been given my DESMOND course dates... sadly, it's two half days, and this means I have to be off work for two whole days as the start and finish times do not fit in well with being able to get back to work for the afternoon...

wondering whether to decline or else to turn up and put the cat amongst the pigeons if they try and tell me to eat more carbs and cut out the fats...

been experimenting... 4 slices of bread with houmous on for lunch today (56g of carb total) and my BS is still over 12 over two hours later... and that was with a pre reading of 5.6... (won't be doing that again in a hurry)

Diet controlled only, so haven't the "luxury" of being able to dial in insulin for the carb load in the meal...

wondering just how badly controlled others are who haven't heard of cutting back on carbs.
Mine was 2 half days too although I contradicted everything the Nurses were advocating and got banned after the first session,I hoped to maybe enjoy meeting other Diabetics but sadly the other people on the course LOVED the nurses for telling them that cream cakes,chips,bread and chocolate bars were ok as a once a day treat,one person blamed themselves for developing the condition because they used to drink diet coke which in there opinion was "Still full of sugar",the nurses did not correct that statement or when another person,when asked what increases blood glucose,he answered "Fat and Booze",the nurses did not disagree but I did and it went down like a lead balloon,just like my opinion of reducing carbs and eating to your meter,none of the other people tested(or had a desire to) and the nurses said there was no need to,no surprises there and by the end of it I was the most hated person on the course,a wasted day that made me want to pull my hair out in clumps! :thumbdown:

Edited to say this is just MY experience of DESMOND,other PCT's may do it different and some members have found the course useful.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been offered one and when I checked there are none in Lincolnshire!!
I would have to go about 40 or more miles to attend one out of the county.

Angie

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)

How is your Doctor going to know if this DESMOND coarse is good for you or a waste of time. :?:

My doctor advised me to look into Diabetes .co.uk and also attend a DESMOND coarse.

When I visit my doctor this Friday I shall let them know that in my opinion the DESMOND coarse that I attended was a complete disaster.
However their recommendation to look into Diabetes .co.uk is excellent.

I am sure you can let people on the coarse know, (if you do attend) about Diabetes .co.uk
which is one way to spread good advise.

On the other hand if you were to loose valuable time from work Etc; then greater thought would be not to attend.
Your Doctor should be advised accordingly of your well deserved reasons.

Roy.