Should I self test

Gill63

Type 2 for 6 years. Over the last year feel I am not managing so well, last Hba1c was 8.0. Had been following NHS advice, healthy carbs, low fat etc. I have been reading up on LCHF and think I would like to try this.
GP has never suggested I test my blood, in fact probably discouraged me saying that the Hba1c was all they were interested in however, reading some posts it seems like this is important to self manage.
Do most people test and did the GP give prescribe monitor and test strips.

Reactions: Antje77

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hba1c of 8% is 64 in the more usual units, so well into the diabetic range.
After so long, I can't see that your GPs management system is working.
Many type twos buy themselves a meter, use it for 6 months and by following a low carb way of eating, guided by their blood glucose levels, they make a big difference to their levels, even putting their diabetes into remission.
The Spirit Healthcare Tee 2 meter is cheap to run - and if you phone up and order strips I am told that they will issue a free meter etc. test kit.
By testing after meals you can see if you are overdoing carbs and alter accordingly.
There is nothing wrong with our ability to deal with fats, so I avoid the carbs added to low fat versions of foods.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely.. you can monitor what foods do to your blood sugar and add/remove as necessary,
It's a huge benefit and the main reason doctors won't give you a meter is cost. A false economy but where we are.

You don't drive without a speedo you can't monitor blood sugar without a meter.

The cost involved is in the strips and one of the cheapest (and I have found most accurate) is this one.

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/tee2

If you phone in the order they have been known to throw the meter in for free.. tell them you are a T2 and you'll save any VAT.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your other question, few nhs drs/dn’s prescribe strips for type 2 not on hypoglycaemia medication. If you get them be very grateful.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Type 2 for 6 years. Over the last year feel I am not managing so well, last Hba1c was 8.0. Had been following NHS advice, healthy carbs, low fat etc. I have been reading up on LCHF and think I would like to try this.
GP has never suggested I test my blood, in fact probably discouraged me saying that the Hba1c was all they were interested in however, reading some posts it seems like this is important to self manage.
Do most people test and did the GP give prescribe monitor and test strips.
Yes you should test.
I self fund

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you should test regardless of whether you may be told otherwise. Testing's the main guide to how food (and other issues) can affect our glucose levels and gives us the information we need to manage our diet and therefore our glucose levels,

Testing and eating LCHF have enabled me to keep my glucose at high normal/low pre-diabetic levels for most of the 7+ years I've been T2, and I've had no diabetic medication for a good half of that time.

My GP is quite happy for me to self test, but is unable to prescribe test strips due to the Practice's financial rules/restrictions.