Should I strive for a basal to bolus ratio of 40 / 60 ?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Like @Mel dCP whatever amount works and there are some people that end up needing a lot more than others. They make concentrated insulins Humalog 2x, 4x and 5x, just for that reason so you don't actually take as much per se. I believe another company makes a concentrated one too.

There are a few odds and ends of threads on here about people that use a lot of insulin.
Here is one of them in regards to someone trying to figure out which pump to use because he takes quite a lot.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/has-any-used-200u-insulin-in-their-pump.164582/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again. It's likely that you do have insulin resistance with the excess weight you mention. This means you may well be adding injected insulin when you already have 'too much' but are unable to use it. As your weight reduces your insulin needs may well go down quite fast. Do keep the carbs well down to help reduce weight and keep checking BS to avoid an unexpected hypo.

briantaffy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well call me strange but my basal=bolus ratio is about 2:1! One injection of Tresiba basal when I wake up [28 units] and then sporadic little bits of Humalog that total up to about 14 each day. Anyone else react like this please?.
Whilst I am on air, my glucose sugars are going rather high in this very hot weather - whereas most of the articles I read point to a danger of low glucose readings.
Can some kind T1D help me solve both my two "problems?" Thank you if you can.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
well call me strange but my basal=bolus ratio is about 2:1! One injection of Tresiba basal when I wake up [28 units] and then sporadic little bits of Humalog that total up to about 14 each day. Anyone else react like this please?.
Whilst I am on air, my glucose sugars are going rather high in this very hot weather - whereas most of the articles I read point to a danger of low glucose readings.
Can some kind T1D help me solve both my two "problems?" Thank you if you can.

Personally I think the ratio is irrelevant - it’s whatever works for you. Mine is about 80:20 fwiw.

My sugars are also going high, I’ve had to increase everything by 20% to handle it! Again, just do whatever works for you :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The basal bolus ratio is just a starting point and will just vary person to person. It’s really nothing to care about.

We can all be so different in how we respond, so you just make the adjustments that are necessary when you need them. But it’s better to start with small adjustments at first until you know what works.