Should I take statins

Carolanne58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At my last Diabetic appointment 3 weeks ago I was told my cholesterol was up very slightly as a precaution my doctor has prescribed statins tablets which are still in the chemist I tried to persuade her that I could maybe try by diet but she insisted that I take them My blood sugar under control with 4 Sukkarto a day I really don’t want to take them Any advice please

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's your decision whether you take statins or not. I took them for about seven years, but stopped after I was diagnosed T2 as statins can raise bg levels, and I think they may have contributed to my diagnosis, along with other factors.
I didn't experience any side effects apart from some initial muscle pain in my upper arms and shoulders, but others have experienced more severe side effects.
You should read @bulkbiker 's thread about cholesterol and statins and decide for yourself:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What goes into your body is your choice and no-one else's...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It's looking like statins may have triggered T2 in me as I met no criteria whatsoever to become T2
Do a little research also abot cholesterol and the brain.
I had bad reactions to the stuff so packed them in.
I got my bad cholesterol .... if there's such a thing and the good cholesterol again if there's such a thing under control .... bad down good up .... through a high fat low carb diet.

Reactions: Prem51