Prediabetes Should I worry?

LLH76

Hi, I’m not diagnosed with diabetes but had a few symptoms so bought a home testing kit. My fasting bloods are mostly 6-6.3, had one at 5.6, should I worry. I don’t feel it’s worth bothering my GP with it with everything going on?!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

In your situation, I would take the time to do some reading on the subject of type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, the way people move towards insulin resistance, and how to most effectively use your home meter to find out what is happening to your blood glucose in response to the food that you are currently eating, in your current portion sizes.

Knowledge is power, and even if you find out that your body is coping very well at the moment, you will have information that may come in useful in future.

My suggestion would be that you have a read of the www.bloodsugar101.com website, and the www.dietdoctor.com website, and maybe have a read of this forum. No need to make drastic changes and turn into a hardcore anything, but rather just get familiar with it all.

As for bothering your doctor... that is really a decision only you can make.
In your situation, I probably wouldn't, because I would take the view that a bit of sensibly timed home testing (before and then 2 hours after eating) would give me a better understanding of what is going on than a fasting blood glucose test, or an HbA1c (which measures the approx average blood glucose reading over the last 2-3 months) would do.

If you feel that you want a professional opinion on your situation, then definitely contact your doc.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: LLH76

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your response, in your opinion, do my fasting levels suggest I’ve got pre diabetes though or?

depends which criteria you use.
Different parts of the world use different baselines for prediabetes (compare the US and the UK)
Plus, the criteria for diagnosing diabetes has shifted over time, from emphasis on the fasting bg to the HbA1c, as suggested by the WHO. Many docs nowadays just use fasting readings as a clue to then run an HbA1c.
Reasons? Mainly cost, and individual variations as to why the fasting levels vary so much (it depends on a lot more than just insulin and blood glucose).

have a look at that www.bloodsugar101.com website I linked to above - so many different approach vectors towards type 2 diabetes, depending on our personal circumstances.

Reactions: LLH76