Should my blood tests be fasting ones?

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my third blood test yesterday. The first, which identified the diabetes I was specifically told no need to fast. The others haven't been mentioned so haven't been fasting beforehand. What's normal? I'm assuming the tests are to determine HbA1c but I haven't been told that either.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Non fasting, I think the only thing it might affect is the cholesterol triglycerides reading, someone else can confirm though..

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was an Hba1c test then there is no need to fast since the test reveals blood sugar levels over the past 12 weeks or so and fasting is not going to make much difference to that. If it was a fasting finger prick test then I am in writing elsewhere where I say that these are of little value anyway.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had my third blood test yesterday. The first, which identified the diabetes I was specifically told no need to fast. The others haven't been mentioned so haven't been fasting beforehand. What's normal? I'm assuming the tests are to determine HbA1c but I haven't been told that either.
How far apart were these tests?

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How far apart were these tests?
2nd test 5 days after the 1st.
3rd test 16 days after the 2nd.
I know that they were also checking kidney function in the second, but had a BG reading from it too.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are definitely not Hba1c tests, or at least not useful ones since it is mathematically impossible to learn anything from blood tests taken so close together.

Maybe they were looking for the kidney function but other than that I find this frequency of tests unusual.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, the HBa1C is non-fasting and fasting blood tests are of little use apart from making cholesterol checks more accurate

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the instructions for a three month test when diagnosed, it states that it is fasting, and gives the number to call to arrange it etc. My doctor printed it out at the appointment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If the tests include cholesterol and the triglycerides then you need to fast, even though the surgery says no need. Triglycerides swim around your bloodstream in great numbers after eating, doing their job, and this is not what you want before a blood test. You want as few trigs as possible!

As you have no idea what these tests were for, and presumably haven't a clue what all the various levels were, I suggest you ask for a print out of all of them. You need to know these levels - blood glucose and HbA1c, liver, kidneys, cholesterol, full blood count and whatever else was thrown in. You will be having regular blood tests from now on, and if you are to control everything you need to know where you are starting from and whether you are improving or otherwise. If you ring reception and ask for print outs you should be able to pop down and collect them. (depending on your receptionist, you may have to push for this)

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. First job is to get some results so I know what was actually tested. The online access to information shows nothing of this either!

Reactions: Bluetit1802