Should t1s be advised not to have children?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think they should. Getting t1 is a total disaster and ruins your life. People should be advised if they are t1 you have a ridiculously high risk of passing the condition on (1 in 25) and then make a decision based on that.

No one gave me any advice on the risk and I'm very sad about it. If I'd known I absolutely would not have selfishly had children and put two more people on the planet with t1 genes.

Reactions: MrGrumpyD

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How dare u define ur childrens lives with this condition. U are obviously struggling with the diagnosis and need help as I have seen ur previous posts. Many diabetics on this forum have had the condition and live full healthy lives! Healthier than those who do not have the condition. Its a tough disease but we can absolutely live with it. Please seek professional help soon because IF one of ur lovely children should get diabetes, ur views on the disease will do far more damage than diabetes itself.

Reactions: Kevin259

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they should. Getting t1 is a total disaster and ruins your life. People should be advised if they are t1 you have a ridiculously high risk of passing the condition on (1 in 25) and then make a decision based on that.

No one gave me any advice on the risk and I'm very sad about it. If I'd known I absolutely would not have selfishly had children and put two more people on the planet with t1 genes.

No. These kind of eugenics really went out of fashion with Hitler. Propigating this kind of view is shameful.

Me and my type 1 are perfectly happy to be alive.

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

You hold quite extreme views. Like any pregnancy, it should be up to the mother and father to decide if they want children or not.

Reactions: mytype1.life

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Getting t1 is a total disaster and ruins your life.

I'm lucky to have come from a type 1 father who never had this attitude and thus didn't (and still don't) see it this way when I was diagnosed myself. It's annoying sometimes, yes. It certainly hasn't ruined my life. I can't think of anything I can't do now that I could do before. I don't think my parents were selfish for having me and I don't think it's selfish if I decide to have children too. There is a long list of diseases much, much worse than type 1, so I'm thankful this is all I have to put up with at the moment and for the technological advancements that have come along since the days of rigid diets, schedules and NPH.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Perhaps you should have been responsible enough to research before having two children then.
My life is not ruined by diabetes.

Reactions: LooperCat

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Told the facts then. I didn't realise how how the risk was and I wish I had. If I'd been more aware I'd have made different choices personally.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m very proud, admire and and have high respect for all T1s specially on this site.

Please don’t let T1 stop you or anyone from having a family.

To have wonderful children is the best thing that can happen to anyone.

Reactions: Cumberland

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did research and was lead to believe by that the risk was relatively low but t1 in multiple generations carries higher risk and I wish I'd known. I feel I've played routlette with my children's lives and personally I'd rather not have been born at all than developed t1. I know this is extreme but it is my personal view.

jackors

Type of diabetes
Type 1
T1 is not the end of the world I have been t1 for over 35 years and I am still alive and kicking and modern advances I be here for another 35 years

Reactions: miszu

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did research and was lead to believe by that the risk was relatively low but t1 in multiple generations carries higher risk and I wish I'd known. I feel I've played routlette with my children's lives and personally I'd rather not have been born at all than developed t1. I know this is extreme but it is my personal view.

What will be selfish is if you pass this attitude on to your children should they (and I hope not) ever be diagnosed.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If and when they develop t1 I will be strongly advising them not to continue to pass the genes on any further and to look to adoption or embryo donation if they want children.
If we get it in three generations I can imagine the risk must be much more than 4% or even 8%.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I have just deleted a post on this thread for breaking the forum rules.

Please remember that discussion and differing opinions are welcome, but personal attacks on eachother are not, and will be deleted.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Should people carrying the genes for red hair be advised not to have children? Red-haired people have a much higher risk of developing skin cancer, which will affect their entire life.

Just as sensible an argument as the OP.

I could maybe see the point if there was no treatment, and t1 was an automatic death sentence. We're lucky that is no longer the case.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There IS treatment but the treatment itself can result easily in a death sentence if you get it wrong.

I just cannot think of any other condition where you are sent off with a highly toxic drug and told to manage it and adapt yourself. Day in day out for the rest of your life. Get it wrong and it can kill you fast, or possibly keep getting it wrong and it still kills you but more slowly -through heart disease or kidney failure etc.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Told the facts then. I didn't realise how how the risk was and I wish I had. If I'd been more aware I'd have made different choices personally.
I strongly advice you would get some actual professional help and medication to treat your obsession of having somehow 'cursed' your children with the possibility of diabetes.

I find your attitude both worrying, offensive to others with health issues and/or disabilities and harmful to your children. Even if you dont overtly say anything, they will be picking up on your attitude towards them. And yes, you do have an attitude towards them.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please see a psychologist. Ur previous posts are worrying too.
I did think about having kids or not in the future, even at my young age, because I wouldnt want them to suffer with t1 but rather, when those came to my mind I didnt feel strong enough to think I will be able to manage a situation in the future where Ive got children with the same condition. It was the first few weeks of panic, when I didnt know what to do with diabetes, depression hit me, but I can say now... its not the end of the world. Made me stronger, more responsible for myself and I believe when the time comes I will be able to raise up my children even with t1 in family.

Please go see a psychologist, its clear u r unable to accept ur condition. And as u can see all of us diabetics on here, ur way is not normal. Best wishes. X

Reactions: Salvia

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @ExtremelyW0rried ,

A little while back. My dog had symptoms of what looked like DKA? At the vet, he checked out fine. Just a nasty bug. But I was prepared to care for him as a diabetic. I'm not realy the sentimental type. But if my dog wants life...? He's entitled to it.

If I remember with your worry regarding your daughter & husband recently? They fared the same & checked out in good health..
The future has a right to be positive!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If and when they develop t1 I will be strongly advising them not to continue to pass the genes on any further and to look to adoption or embryo donation if they want children.
If we get it in three generations I can imagine the risk must be much more than 4% or even 8%.

It's not your choice, it's your kids choices, don't force your ideas about who should have kids on them - that will make them not like you.

Personally (having had diabetes for about 40 years and it's never ever been that well controlled) it has not ruined my life, yes at times it's been a complete PITA and at times I've felt like it's ruined my life, but it hasn't. Yes I have to be more careful that your average 'Joe', but in most cases I do perfectly fine, I have a perfectly good job, I have a social life (ok, it's small social life but that's cos I'm an introvert, I like being on my own - has nowt to do with diabetes) and my biggest whinge most of the time is about my gluten-intolerance.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Why do you keep coming back to remind us of your dogmatic views regarding the future of your children and their children? We have discussed these concerns in your previous posts. We really have no way of knowing exactly which genes we will pass on to our children.

If you carry on indoctrinating your children with your views you are in danger of driving a huge wedge between you and your children. Do you really want them to be terrified of having a relationship when they are grown up just in case they or any future partner has diabetes. It is likely that your views will make them up sticks and move far away from your influence. Is that what you want your children to do? I think not ... No... I hope not.

Diabetes has not and will not ruin my life.

Last edited: