Shoulder pain

SOTR

I have pain in my shoulders, spreading now to across the top of my chest. The pain is not severe, but I am afraid of it getting worse.
I consulted my GP by phone about frozen shoulders about a year ago. Basically the attitude was "diabetics get frozone shoulders, we really dont know why"
If anyone else gets pain like this and restricted mobility in the shoulders please pass on any tips.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have pain in my shoulders, spreading now to across the top of my chest. The pain is not severe, but I am afraid of it getting worse.

I've had two frozen shoulders, and my mobility was very restricted. However, I don't remember it going across the front of my chest, though that maybe just my memory. I do remember that just putting on a coat became painful, and finding a comfortable position at night was sometimes hard. (My long term aim, for the last ten years, is to be able to do up my bra behind my back, but I'm not quite there yet. However I no longer have any pain at all.) But I should point out that my frozen shoulders were consecutive, not simultaneous.

I had to wait it out, but physio on the second one meant it healed much much faster. My advice would be to see a physiotherapist for diagnosis and/or treatment.

I believe some people get steroid injections which may or may not help.

If I were you, I'd want to be sure of the diagnosis first before seeking additional treatment. Frozen shoulders do heal (eventually), at least in my experience. Physio helped me a lot.

alex1965

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had both my shoulders at the same time, eventually cleared up after 18 months
you can get hydro cortisol injections in the shoulder, sometimes it helps, also physiotherapy, but that will hurt a lot
I found tiger balm was good for temporary alleviation, I was given an anti-inflammatory/painkiller, can't remember what it was, but it affected by stomach quite badly so had to stop taking it, sometimes glucosamine and omega 3 supplements can help

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent 9 years working as a physio, and I'd strongly recommend seeing a physio or a chiropractor or an osteopath. All 3 disciplines are brilliant for locating the cause of the pain and treating it, but it WILL take time, so don't expect instant results. If you have steroid injections, they don't address the cause of the pain, but your choice as short-term they normally relieve it. As already suggested, if you can get someone to massage the area with suitable ointment - there are loads to choose from - that will help enormously between treatments.If you are willing to try homeopathy, go to a proper homeopath: Rus tox, Ruta graveolens and Arnica (RRA mix) is also excellent for this kind of pain.

M

Member496333

Advanced Glycation End-products (AGEs) are considered to be a cause of frozen shoulder in diabetics. Also oxalate dumping can cause this if you’ve changed diet. I had the latter when going carnivore. Took several months to fix itself.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I consulted my GP by phone about frozen shoulders about a year ago. Basically the attitude was "diabetics get frozone shoulders, we really dont know why"
If anyone else gets pain like this and restricted mobility in the shoulders please pass on any tips.
I'd endorse the physio/osteopath/chiropractor treatment. I 've also found body control pilates to be good for exercising and stretching shoulders.

TPD79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Joint problems were what sent me to the doctor in the first place, ending with diagnoses of Type II diabetes, early menopause and vitamin D deficiency just after Christmas. All of these can cause joint issues but might be worth a vit D level check as it's the easiest to correct. Mine has greatly improved after a course of vitamin D (but also some HRT).

Reactions: Heatherpat