showing symptoms of diabetes is this normal?

Fabell

Since my parent has type 2. I have always been told to watch out as I have a higher chance of developing diabetes. At this current moment I have began developing symptoms. Though due to covid I can’t get a blood test as I have to go hospital due to my veins collapsing. I have constant dry mouth so I am drinking, what has led to frequent urination. I lost about a stone in 2 weeks. I have constant stomach ache. To try and rule out this being my problem I began to monitor my blood sugar.
Waking up it was 6.0mmo
Two hours after food 7.0
Three hours after food 6.4

I am wondering if these are normal or could be warning signs of prediabetes for type 2

I could easily be over worrying as I have been told I have a higher chance of developing diabetes. I have just discovered one of my medications is related to lowering blood sugar.(venflaxine)

Last edited:

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Since my parent has type 2. I have always been told to watch out as I have a higher chance of developing diabetes. At this current moment I have began developing symptoms. Though due to covid I can’t get a blood test as I have to go hospital due to my veins collapsing. I have constant dry mouth so I am drinking, what has led to frequent urination. I lost about a stone in 2 weeks. I have constant stomach ache. To try and rule out this being my problem I began to monitor my blood sugar.
Waking up it was 6.0mmo
Two hours after food 7.0
Three hours after food 6.4

I am wondering if these are normal or could be warning signs of prediabetes for type 2

I code easily be over worrying as I have been told I have a higher chance of developing diabetes.

Hi @Fabell ,

We try to avoid any forms of diagnosis being performed over the internet, - we aren't doctors.

Having said that, there are guideline figures for glucose levels, take a look at this page.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Your levels are not horrendous.

Reactions: Fabell

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds to me like you have stress or an undiagnosed stomach upset. Fasting blood should be around 4.0 - 5.6, that 6 your seeing might put you in the prediabetic zone but meters can be unreliable. When you measure 7 2 hours after food what have you eaten, high carb high fat meals can take longer to digest & keep releasing pulses of carbs. Either way 7 is not diagnostic of even prediabetes. Without a formal HbA1c blood test we can't be sure. From what your describing though I think your problems lie elsewhere.

Fabell

It’s more of a way to see if my results are abnormal or fit in the realm of normal. Though discovering my meds often can affect blood sugar my results are probably worthless lol.

Fawbs89

7 is relatively normal normal sugars are between 4 and 7 I'd be more worried if you were like 8 9 10 plus

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Though discovering my meds often can affect blood sugar my results are probably worthless lol.

What meds are you on? Steroids are notorious for raising blood sugars....
However, those symptoms merit a consultation with a doctor even if you aren't diabetic.... The weight loss is a concern.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The weight loss is a concern as @EllieM pointed out. Worth getting checked out with a dr. A c-peptide level would be quite helpful as well as hba1c and other relevant tests. Good luck.