Sick- help!

beckham12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been suffering from sickness and diarrhoea for a couple of days now. I've had very little appetite. When I have eaten (about 30-40g carbs) I didn't do an injection. An hour later I check my blood sugar and it had gone down a unit. When my sugar was lower than I wanted it to be before bed, I ate and check my blood after 30 minutes and it had stayed the same. It took 3 hours and about 60g to make my blood increase by 3 units. It's as if the food hasn't been processed. Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? Or can help me please?

Last edited:

happydaze

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever illness strikes me, all previous logic regarding my blood sugars tend to get twisted upside down. Even though it's annoying the only thing that helps me is to focus on healing from the illness and avoid extra stress. Doing some testing/calculations to adjust my dosages tends to help temporarily but this can be a bit of a headache.

It could be a digestion issue if the food is taking a long time to have an impact on your blood sugar...or perhaps since you haven't been eating as much your body is using the carbs more efficiently? I wouldn't worry too much and just focus on rest/recovery, you'll be back in no time!

Best wishes

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @beckham12 With illness it's good to have a drink to hand, so something like lucozade, although it's reduced sugar it's still pretty effective for keeping BG levels up, fruit juices tend to be too acidic for upset tums, hope you feel better soon :)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get well soon! Make sure you test more frequently than you otherwise would, and run your blood sugars a little higher in order to avoid lows. Also, tell someone that you aren't feeling well! They can check up on you and can help out in case of an emergency.