Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
I understand really.
things just happen to everybody in the end. Whatever it is.So what ever happens it
is our own normality in the end, just because it happens in the end.
not wanting to cause offence to anybody really.So apologise to JohnEGreen as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: AloeSvea and Pipp

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
So be true to whatever happened. Because it happened. please correct me I am wrong.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
I don't Want to argue with anybody in the end. Life is too short.

I don't think John E Green meant any harm in his statement rea lly.

So to all t he experts (and it is a big burden to carry, in the end)
Let s try and move on now. Least said, sooner forgotten.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pipp and Oldvatr

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, folks, thank you for resolving that little amputation misunderstanding yourselves without need for mod intervention. Well done to those involved. You know who you are, so no names mentioned. :)
Please continue in the spirit of friendship and cameraderie will all need and crave.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have always had a bit of a dark humor funnily my step father shared that humor once when walking along the road together one day his prosthetic foot became disconnected from his false leg when a passer bye nearly fainted seeing his foot lying on the pavement we both had a good laugh over that lots of times.

He also used to have a good laugh about the usefulness of his prosthetic limb when passing through customs he used to smile and say they never check my false limb.

not every thing has to be all doom and gloom.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thinking about counting, and doctors and nurses again, groan, as I have been warned that I have a review looming. Because of the metformin.

My records do not count, which say I started this latest metformin regime at the beginning of April last year. (I'm mildly OCD so I keep excellent accounts :D.) Their records say July, as that was the second prescription.

Alas, the life circumstance that meant I could go back to seeing my old excellent city GP did not work out, and I must keep going to the rural medical practice that I have the counting problems with. Oh dear. I don't want more negative experiences added, but it seems it cannot be avoided :(.

I wrote in a B12 thread, in here in the medications section on metformin, about my last experience with the practice nurse just before Xmas, where I had to argue about being tested for B12 levels at my HBA1 c test. (This is supposed to be standard practice in NZ if the patient is on metformin, as it is a well established drug mugging side effect of the medication.) It was - yes - down to numbers. and she was using the picograms versus picomoles measurement argument on me, saying I must be measuring with picograms, not picomoles. Because I keep good records, and had written about this, and researched my lab notes as well as articles on this online, I knew what she was talking about, and I knew it was not a measurement issue. I had to insist that I did not get the borderline range (which I was very close to, for being deficient, as in two numbers off) from Dr Google, but from a city lab, where they wrote this range on my results in the past. So - NZ-proof.

Interesting that this was the kind of discussion thought to be normal whilst taking blood.

And definitely not in line with a nurses number one measure in improving health outcomes for people with diabetes - to "reduce the personal burden of disease for people with diabetes". (Number two is to provide consistent services across the country.) (Number three is to reduce the cost of T2D to the country.)

Does this practice love me for knowing these things? Ah...... (This is maybe something I should actually count on?!)

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Funny how life is. And you can't COUNT on your friends sometimes either. Been having bad migraines with short term
Memory loss the same time.. Really getting bad now. Been refered to a neurologist to get a brain scan supposedly in case it is something serious. Told one friend she just said 'You don't want to remember anything.
Told anoter friend about the rare hearing loss 'Cookie byte'.Had NH S hearing aids, but they can't regulate it so I can hear the mid frequencies.'You don't want to hear really. Yet the week after telling me 'We have all been out to get a really nice
meal and we all had a really good chat. Which I can't do really, hearing people's chat. Another one 'Maybe you just don't listen. Do people give hearing aid to people who does listen.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
And when we were homeless and living on next to nothing. Another friend said 'You don't need money really.
people are so selfish these days. It's just about them, me, me, me.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Or was it .my fault in a way (we can't blame everybody else all the time) Yes I
Think it was my fault really in Listening and listening to their problems all
the time.(maybe wanting to be accepted really as their friend maybe) everybody does it sometimes.
So in the end 'You dont have any problems really you are the one who is supposed to listen to my
problems.' Anyway not doing it anymore. I will just be my own friend.The world is full of billions of people. can always make new friends tomoro. God bless.

• Hug
Reactions: Speedbird

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Those friends I mentioned I think you call them 'fair weather friends'

• Agree
Reactions: AloeSvea

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

This really helpful (IMO) thread was started by AloeSvea on "Diabetes Burnout" some pages ago. It seems to be in danger of becoming a thread about something completely different.

Can all members please ensure that posts in this and other threads are on-topic. If you want a different discussion, please use PMs or start a new thread in the appropriate area.

cocobee.2017

Hi y'all. In the last few weeks I have found myself looking up 'diabetes burnout' and, the official phrase in my country (Aotearoa/New Zealand) - 'diabetes distress'.

Why? You might ask. Well, here I am on the soapbox -

I'm sick of counting! (Self inflicted, due to N=1, and being asked to by medical practitioners.) I'm sick of counting blood glucose test strips to fit some bizarre criteria of appropriate for a type two (I gave up! Which I think was the intention, and self-fund now, which - yeah - I think was the intention). I'm sick of counting up trips and months and years to hospitals for retinopathy tests (somehow my retesting call up what-not has gotten lost in the - what? I have no idea), I'm sick of counting the numbers of test results, I'm sick of averaging my FBGs for my latest experiment (counting!), I'm sick of counting carbs, counting walkies and lifting for my 'exercise' quotient, counting the years passing, counting my life expectancy when it changes, counting my waist circumference, my weight, my ratios, my ratios when my blood lipid results get back....

And why am I sick of it now? Because a new GP told me that if I go and get a new HBA1c test a day too early from the stipulated three months, the lab will send the specimen back. (new strict rules apparently). I asked her what then, was the date I could have my next HBA1c, to the day, if to the day is so important now - no reply. I asked the practice nurse to get back to me on that - no reply. Oh! I think - the onus is on me to work out the three months is exact, between HBA1cs. I have to count! And gee - I hope I am counting correctly! Because - yeah - this is my responsibility now. Otherwise, my specimen will not be tested.

I rang the labs contact number for enquiries. How do they count three months - is it business days, or? No reply.

Grrrrrr! I'm so so so tired of counting....

Eight years , so far, with type two, just felt like a really long time. And, hopefully if I can keep my kidneys and my heart as healthy as possible with way too high blood glucose levels - I get to live a couple of decades more. and yeah - I just counted that up in my head! (Did I tell you I'm sick of counting?)

Type 1s/SIDDS and SAIDs are probably rolling their eyes at me - and understandably.

But is anyone else getting sick of counting? And being asked, yet again, to count some more?

Any yaes or naes - all - much appreciated.
Yes I'm sick of it. I totally hear you. I know and understand your frustration. I still have the occasional tantrum! I'm from NZ too. This is our new normal. Don't give up. We have to beat this thing! We have to stop it from getting worse. It took my brother's quality of life & then it killed him. I do this for me and my brother who I love and miss dearly. This is my biggest reason why. What is your why?

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Kia ora @cocobee.2017 . I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking me, re my why. :) . I used to have my type two details and hba1cs and treatment methods in a signature, so maybe I should put such back for just these occasions.

I went and had a look at some of your info via postings, and realise we should both have such details perhaps. I am wondering if you are still with prediabetes? Or your blood glucose has risen, or? I have friends and family who have been in the prediabetes range for many years, and they keep on trucking in there by various means. And oftentimes I hear from other friends and family that they have moved into the diabetes zone, but I figure they don't want to discuss it with me, which saddens me. It's probably because they know I'm going to discuss breads, beer, and sugar! And I do get that. It's really hard to kick those things.

And the other difficult topic is I am not going to talk about with my newly diagnosed friends and family is cholesteol, but their HBA!c number, and a really sad thing in Aotearoa/NZ I have found is a lot of prediabetics know their total cholesterol number and have deep and meaningful discussions with their doctor about that, but do not know their HBA1c number. They know I eat saturated fat with gay abaondon, and am a LCHF way of eating person, and this is disturbing for many, which really really saddens me. The official line in Aotearoa/NZ is still that it is saturated fat that actually causes insulin resistance based type two diabetes. And that eating fat makes you fat. And am a walking talking example how that is not true, at the very least - for me.

I am very sorry we live in these very confusing and strange times re appropriate diet for those with blood glucose regulation problems.

I am in the DCUK Forum as it has been a lifeline for me. I have conducted extensive experiments, and while in NZ especially, have needed the discussion and support this Forum has provided. I like the main American Forum as well, especially re new studies, but I get a bit tired of discussing why eating sugar is maybe not good for those with IR based type two. But it is always good to get an idea of reality, and nutrition info realities out there around the world, at least in the English speaking world, that diabetes forums provide.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh! And I should add - all the experiments have involved LOTS of numbers and counting :cool: .

• Hug
Reactions: oldgreymare