Silly Questions. Type 2.

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided a week ago (1 week into my diagnosis) that my Husband will not be able to tolerate my new diet in any shape or form!. I let him eat what he wants and I eat what I want. He sits there with his cheescake and I have my Greek Yoghurt :) I feel kind of smug!!

I have taken a bit of time to come round to the higher fat idea, but it makes sense now, I think that the idea that heavy carbs are comfort food are great but they dont last very long!

I am thinking that the money I am saving on not having take aways should be there to treat myself (a bit like giving up smoking)

To me its just a new way of thinking and is much less expensive than slimming world etc :D

Deb

Reactions: 9 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I decided a week ago (1 week into my diagnosis) that my Husband will not be able to tolerate my new diet in any shape or form!. I let him eat what he wants and I eat what I want. He sits there with his cheescake and I have my Greek Yoghurt :) I feel kind of smug!!

I have taken a bit of time to come round to the higher fat idea, but it makes sense now, I think that the idea that heavy carbs are comfort food are great but they dont last very long!

I am thinking that the money I am saving on not having take aways should be there to treat myself (a bit like giving up smoking)

To me its just a new way of thinking and is much less expensive than slimming world etc :D

Deb
Thank you for that information. These are all building blocks for me

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a slight crossover when I'm wielding the slotted spoon but a few peas won't hurt me and she needs to have a bit of greenery.

...or you could buy one of those steamers with compartments in like my one.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D
Deb
Feel even smugger: :D:D:D
Look for recipes for low carb cheesecake: Philadelphia Original or other cream cheeses, eggs, butter, lemons for filings, and butter/ground almonds for a base are all low carb, and you can add a bit of sweetness with erythritol or stevia.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
...or you could buy one of those steamers with compartments in like my one.
Mine is a double-decker with partitions but I'm not to be trusted with a slotted spoon

Thank you. I think I will get one of those steamers
As above, but also it's electric with the water-filled base doubling as a frying pan. Very versatile and easy to clean.

Reactions: 2 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine is a double-decker with partitions but I'm not to be trusted with a slotted spoon

As above, but also it's electric with the water-filled base doubling as a frying pan. Very versatile and easy to clean.

How do you add all your diabetes info on the bottom of your profile please?

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feel even smugger: :D:D:D
Look for recipes for low carb cheesecake: Philadelphia Original or other cream cheeses, eggs, butter, lemons for filings, and butter/ground almonds for a base are all low carb, and you can add a bit of sweetness with erythritol or stevia.

Robbity
Yum yum!

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just add it to your signature.

Robbity
Thank you. I'm not quite ready for that seeing the Doctor on Monday and will then order my Sd codefree and strips from Amazon. The strips are so expensive, especially if I use 6 a day. I don't know if you have to have a new lance every time either.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm not quite ready for that seeing the Doctor on Monday and will then order my Sd codefree and strips from Amazon. The strips are so expensive, especially if I use 6 a day. I don't know if you have to have a new lance every time either.
Codefree strips are very much cheaper that those for other brands - believe me!

In theory you're supposed to use a fresh lancet every time but many people here don't. I have an AccuChek Fastclix which takes little cassettes with 6 lancets in so they're all nicely enclosed, and I am quite happy to use each one a number of times (until they hurt or blunt) before changing. I'm not sure if I'd be so happy doing this with the individual needle ones though.

Robbity

Robbity

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Codefree strips are very much cheaper that those for other brands - believe me!

In theory you're supposed to use a fresh lancet every time but many people here don't. I have an AccuChek Fastclix which takes little cassettes with 6 lancets in so they're all nicely enclosed, and I am quite happy to use each one a number of times (until they hurt or blunt) before changing. I'm not sure if I'd be so happy doing this with the individual needle ones though.

Robbity

Robbity
Mmm this is an expensive illness do you test every meal? I will have to get to know what spikes my sugar. Also can you get low carb crackers for cheese? It's a shame supermarkets don't shelve a variety of low carb stuff. They do for gluten free.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Mmm this is an expensive illness do you test every meal? I will have to get to know what spikes my sugar. Also can you get low carb crackers for cheese? It's a shame supermarkets don't shelve a variety of low carb stuff. They do for gluten free.
I don't test for every meal every day, far from it. I only did that for a few weeks at the start, and since then I only do it occasionally, like once a month, or if I am sick. So it gets less expensive over time. You will probably find that a healthier diet ends up costing less than what you were eating before too. :) And I have noticed I have fewer trips to the doctor for other things because I don;t get the same number of infections and other illnesses.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
YE
:)Oh that's good news. Are you on LCHF?
Yes. Some people are into tight control, ie they want their BGs between 4 and 5. That would be too hard for me and I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum - my goals are just to have an HbA1c under 42 (it's 37), and to keep my weight under a BMI of 28. I'm failing on the latter and need to get back on track. But I'm not upset, there's no point beating myself up about it. I just need to focus a but more than I have been. :)

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
YE

Yes. Some people are into tight control, ie they want their BGs between 4 and 5. That would be too hard for me and I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum - my goals are just to have an HbA1c under 42 (it's 37), and to keep my weight under a BMI of 28. I'm failing on the latter and need to get back on track. But I'm not upset, there's no point beating myself up about it. I just need to focus a but more than I have been. :)
I'm finding it so hard to sleep with all this new stuff going on in my head. I'm really tired and lethargic. I hope this Metformin helps me spring back. :(

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm finding it so hard to sleep with all this new stuff going on in my head. I'm really tired and lethargic. I hope this Metformin helps me spring back. :(
I hear you. It's a lot to take in, but the good news is it's a marathon not a sprint, so don't worry too much about getting everything right straight away. It takes time for things to settle. I'm not much of an expert on LCHF but is it possible you are not eating enough fat to give you energy? Others will have more of an idea about this than I do, I'm sure.

If the tiredness and lethargy is caused by blood glucose levels, then it should settle once your BGs settle. If it doesn't, then it could have another cause, which could be easy to investigate and get treated. Try not to worry about it for now though. Hugs :)