Silly Questions. Type 2.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the above. Don't get overwhelmed by what's happening since you are going to have time to sort it. It doesn't have to all be done in the first two weeks.

I noticed that you said that you might use 6 test strips a day. That's one place you could slow down a bit. Pick a meal (say lunch) and work on getting that right by finding out about what raises your blood sugar. Some of the information you gain may help you with other meals but move onto looking into those later if you feel the need.

Don't let it get on top of you. You've got a new hobby, that's all.

Reactions: 4 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Squire Fulwood. I am getting rather overwhelmed at the moment. I don't mean to, but there is a lot to learn. It's sends you into a panic when you get the news of being a type 2 diabetic. I will get there. I could do with some decent sleep to start with! o_O My brain is too active right now. It doesn't help knowing my husband is concerned about what I'm going to dish up! He likes his food, potatoes, rice, pasta etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I thought you were finding it all a bit much and that is understandable. The good news is that you have tons of time to get used to your new lifestyle when you work out what it's going to be. A very important point is that if you rush things and fail in your targets you will get despondent and want to give up. All this means is that you are trying to do too much at once and there is no need.

Slow down, you will be at this for a while.

Reactions: 2 people

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your support. I will slow down lol. :)

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
I'm finding it so hard to sleep with all this new stuff going on in my head. I'm really tired and lethargic. I hope this Metformin helps me spring back. :(
Yep me too, hard to not let it take over, iv been off work all week be glad to have something else to think about tomorrow!

KimG

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well we're in it full time now, we'd better get used to it. I'm going to treat it like a project with trial and errors!

Reactions: 4 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well we're in it full time now, we'd better get used to it. I'm going to treat it like a project with trial and errors!
Good idea, I went on a hen do last night, didn't enjoy as much as I would have done weeks ago! I had a portion of spare ribs dry (felt like desperate dan)! Then beef & black bean no rice or chips! Was nice but went at 7 didn't get fed till 9.30, everyone else was munching on prawn crackers! Had a bottle of wine also! But felt naughty

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm this is an expensive illness do you test every meal? I will have to get to know what spikes my sugar. Also can you get low carb crackers for cheese? It's a shame supermarkets don't shelve a variety of low carb stuff. They do for gluten free.
Hi @KimG Ryvita do Crackerbreads which are 6.4g carbs each. They are quite big and I find 2 are enough for me for lunch particularly when I put cheddar or Philadelphia on them with celery and cucumber to dip into the Philly! One spread with peanut butter makes a great low carbs snack as well. However check which peanut butter - I find the Whole Earth Crunchy has the least carbs. Once you start testing you'll be able to see what you can eat!!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't worry too much about your husband I found that mine gradually got used to my diet I use Brown basmati rice which I can tolerate a little of and he prefers that to white rice .I also roast celeriac and swede which he likes now I may make him 1 roast spud ,it's a case of softly softly !!
CAROL

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for that. I'll try the LCHF diet as above.
If you really like bread you could try Burgen Linseed and Soya a lot here have that but a recent discovery if you live near a Lidl is their Protein rolls they are baked in store are triangular and very dark and seedy lots of members here are having them and are thrilled to find they don't raise their BG levels. Not all Lidls do them yet my local one didn't for a while but now they do so always worth a look if you have one where you live. My T2 husband was not to keen on them at first but now he does have them as he knows they are better for him

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

First one: I was diagnosed with Type 2 yesterday. I'm seeing the Diabetic Nurse on the 27th I presume to talk about diet. I don't eat butter or spreads, however, I've been using mayonnaise or salad cream both thinly as a spread on brown bread. Can I continue to do this?

Secondly: I've already lost a stone on Slimming World/Hairy Bikers diets (without going to slimming world - cost!) Even these diets have ingredients I shouldn't have, like flour, Creme fraishe, potatoes and pasta. My problem is, even though I can tweak these, my husband who has been happy with these two won't change! He is a two meat, one veg man really, although he will eat peas, carrots and cauliflower at a push! He has been losing weight too. I don't particularly want to make two different meals, it's taken long enough to get these diets sorted. Can anyone help me please

Thirdly, and lastly for now: is SR Metformin better than Metformin? I'm being prescribed one of these on Monday by the Doctor. I feel nauseous, very tired, lethargic, shivery, very sweaty and thirsty. I don't really want to feel more nauseous. I've also been on Antidepressents for a couple of months - nothing to do with this diagnosis. So I'm very anxious right now.

Thank you

Thank you
You will be able to eat much the same as your husband for main meals you can have any meat just have more leafy green vegetables than him cauliflower is good for both of you and a few peas for you won't do any harm

debdebc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kim

I felt exactly like you three weeks ago when I was diagnosed.I found that that was all I thought about, I still do to an extent but it does get easier.I was really concerned as my husband basically eats all the things I cant! We have already settled into a routine, I eat what I want and he eats what he wants. I am enjoying salads which I rarely had as mine wont touch anything that healthy! I try and prepare as much of my food as I can in advance. I have also started thinking of foods that I am not sure about and this is another reason why I love this site :) Its easy to search on here for anything you are unsure about. This site has now been named 'my diabetic bible' here lol

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Kim

I felt exactly like you three weeks ago when I was diagnosed.I found that that was all I thought about, I still do to an extent but it does get easier.I was really concerned as my husband basically eats all the things I cant! We have already settled into a routine, I eat what I want and he eats what he wants. I am enjoying salads which I rarely had as mine wont touch anything that healthy! I try and prepare as much of my food as I can in advance. I have also started thinking of foods that I am not sure about and this is another reason why I love this site :) Its easy to search on here for anything you are unsure about. This site has now been named 'my diabetic bible' here lol
Can I ask anyone according to guide lines of the ranges levels should be b4 & after meals which is in the newbee info why are people happier with 4 & 5s?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a shame supermarkets don't shelve a variety of low carb stuff.

Mine does in a way. There is the entire fresh meat aisle, all of the vegetable aisles and further down the shop you can get tinned meats which have no carbs in like corned beef and ham.

Oh yes, nearly forgot the Deli.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask anyone according to guide lines of the ranges levels should be b4 & after meals which is in the newbee info why are people happier with 4 & 5s?

The guidelines are good targets for the newly diagnosed as they are more easily attainable, but many experts feel they are over-generous, so once those targets are reached, many people feel they prefer to be down to non-diabetic levels and lower their personal targets accordingly.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The guidelines are good targets for the newly diagnosed as they are more easily attainable, but many experts feel they are over-generous, so once those targets are reached, many people feel they prefer to be down to non-diabetic levels and lower their personal targets accordingly.
Ah right, 3 weeks in mine are usually between 7-9 am and 7-8 after food had a 6.4 once! Hopefully when tabs kick in (only had 4) will start to reduce?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah right, 3 weeks in mine are usually between 7-9 am and 7-8 after food had a 6.4 once! Hopefully when tabs kick in (only had 4) will start to reduce?

Are you on Metformin? This helps, but only to a rather limited extent. It won't lower any post meal spikes. It is essentially an appetite suppressant to help you lose weight, plus it works on the liver to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces (called liver dumps or Dawn Phenomenon if you want to look that up), but again only to a limited extent. Suitable food is the key, not Metformin. :)

Are you keeping a food diary? Recording your levels alongside should show you which of your meals have been good ones, and which have been less good. It's a good way to learn.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Are you on Metformin? This helps, but only to a rather limited extent. It won't lower any post meal spikes. It is essentially an appetite suppressant to help you lose weight, plus it works on the liver to reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces (called liver dumps or Dawn Phenomenon if you want to look that up), but again only to a limited extent. Suitable food is the key, not Metformin. :)

Are you keeping a food diary? Recording your levels alongside should show you which of your meals have been good ones, and which have been less good. It's a good way to learn.
Yes on metformin didn't know they suppressed appitite, that should help me loose weight, iv kept a food diary, only think that has raised it above my pre meal test was a Thai curry, it had an orange pepper in it?

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, I know nothing about curries. I hate the stuff, always have!
Only other ingredients I used was this curry paste low carb on jar, tahini & coconut milk didn't really taste like a curry