Simple quick cheese sauce

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Double cream and grated cheese.... That it.... So simple, very low carb and lovely.

Pour some double cream in a saucepan or frying pan, add some grated cheese and heat for a few minutes.

When frying some aubergines I pour in the cream and cheese and mix it all up. Lots of fat very few carbs. I will often add a few more veggies into the pan as well.

I can't believe this is new. But new to me, only because I had some double cream and grated cheese in the fridge near their use by date!!!!

Reactions: 16 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We make this for the dog .. Not recommend for all hounds mind .. He has his with tiny pasta bows ..( the dogs not diabetic so not low carbing, he's just very very old and letting him eat any thing that he fancies now, ) Do be careful of pre packed grated chease ,. It's higer in carbs as they use flour to keep the grated cheese from clumping together in the packet.

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Try this; it's so good and goes really well with a roast chicken.

Peel an onion for each person, boil the onion for about 20 minutes then carefully remove from the water and cut in half (a bread knife works well).

Put the boiled onions in a baking tray cut side down and pour in double cream to a depth of about an inch and then cover with parmesan or other hard cheese and bake for 20 minutes.

They are amazing, pretty low carb and go brilliantly with chicken.

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 7 people

nancyb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Ian, I was just about to post a request for a cheese sauce.
Yesterday I had some left over chicken and some veg to eat and it didn't look very interesting so I made myself a strogonoff style sauce with mushrooms, double cream, a splash of balsamic vinegar and grated nutmeg. It was really yummy.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The recipe I use it to melt low fat Philly (full fat stuff congeals when melted) and put a load of grated cheese in.

Reactions: 4 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Double cream and grated cheese.... That it.... So simple, very low carb and lovely.

Pour some double cream in a saucepan or frying pan, add some grated cheese and heat for a few minutes.

When frying some aubergines I pour in the cream and cheese and mix it all up. Lots of fat very few carbs. I will often add a few more veggies into the pan as well.

I can't believe this is new. But new to me, only because I had some double cream and grated cheese in the fridge near their use by date!!!!
Delicious - thanks for the tip Ian DP .

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

Tried this last night and again for lunch today...wonderful. I added a teaspoon of tomato sauce (Tesco special) and stilton with apricot to mushrooms, peppers and cherry toms, as the only hard cheese I had until shopping arrives later. Thank you for the tip,

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Tried this last night and again for lunch today...wonderful. I added a teaspoon of tomato sauce (Tesco special) and stilton with apricot to mushrooms, peppers and cherry toms, as the only hard cheese I had until shopping arrives later. Thank you for the tip,
I am going to try it with courgettes, do you think it would work with broc and cauli?

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
It works with courgettes broccoli and cauliflower. Had this at lunch today, with some slices of aubergine added as well.... But I cooked (steamed) the broccoli and cauliflofer first and fried the aubergine and courgettes before adding the cooked broccoli and cauliflower and the cream and cheese to the pan.