Prediabetes Simplest Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) meals please...

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I'm pre-diabetic (HbA1c of 43) and both my wife and I have very limited energy because of ME and CFS resp. I want to go onto a LCHF diet, but neither of us can undertake eg baking special bread nor cooking moderately complex meals that other people would find simple.

I'm sometimes overwhelmed by all the information available, and wondered if the good people of this forum had v easy LCHF meals they could recommend. Many thanks in advance, from Phil

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Meat and vegetables can be done up in the oven or slow cooker with little effort.

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i would take a look on Diet Doctor. Some of the meals on there are very easy & LCHF

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Most important thing is to get your basics right and then you can do a wide range of very simple meals just by mixing those things together. Take a look at www.dietdoctor.com it’s got some good visual charts that show you the sort of food you can eat - many of which only need a frying pan to cook in and some healthy fat such as butter, olive oil or coconut oil. It’s also got loads of menu ideas many of which are very simple.
Enjoy trying out all the delicious food you can eat - many of us on here got here from years of following the official healthy eating high carb low fat route and enjoy doing the opposite to the official advice!

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most important thing is to get your basics right and then you can do a wide range of very simple meals just by mixing those things together. Take a look at www.dietdoctor.com it’s got some good visual charts that show you the sort of food you can eat - many of which only need a frying pan to cook in and some healthy fat such as butter, olive oil or coconut oil. It’s also got loads of menu ideas many of which are very simple.
Enjoy trying out all the delicious food you can eat - many of us on here got here from years of following the official healthy eating high carb low fat route and enjoy doing the opposite to the official advice!

Many thanks, diet doctor is v helpful!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!

I'm pre-diabetic (HbA1c of 43) and both my wife and I have very limited energy because of ME and CFS resp. I want to go onto a LCHF diet, but neither of us can undertake eg baking special bread nor cooking moderately complex meals that other people would find simple.

I'm sometimes overwhelmed by all the information available, and wondered if the good people of this forum had v easy LCHF meals they could recommend. Many thanks in advance, from Phil

Hope this helps Phil

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Andrew

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook the meat or fish in the simplest way - chop up the veges and if they need cooking tip on a bit of olive oil or add fat from meat and put them into the oven next to the meat, or stir fry them. Otherwise I make a mixed salad and dish up as soon as the protein is cooked. Simples.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your current level of cooking?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of low carb/keto channels on Youtube that can help you learn to cook.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Basic cuts of meat, poultry, fish, with vegetables grilled/ baked /stir fried with a little oil or butter. Omelettes plain or with various fillings: prawns and avocado, chopped ham and cheese, mushrooms. Bacon, eggs, high meat content sausages, with tomatoes and mushrooms. Cold meats, tinned fish/shellfish, boiled eggs or cheese with prepacked ready to eat salad leaves , and/or tomatoes, celery, cucumber, radishes, and a dollop of mayonnaiseolive ouil, or even sour cream. You can add some herbs, spices, mustard, olives, etc to liven any of these up a little. Look for easy to cook packs of meat or fish (Ocado/Waitrose do these) and if you choose carefully some are well suited for low carb cooking. The same for mixed packs of often ready to stir fry or microwave vegetables.

Pre-packed or frozen berries with cream or full fat yoghurt; full fat cream cheese or double cream etc with a little cocoa and peppermint or orange flavouring or ready chopped hazelnuts from a pack, or with coffee and a few walnuts for yummy sweets, and frozen berries and double cream whizzed up in a blender for instant "ice cream".

You definitely don't have to do complicated to do tasty and nourishing low carb meals!

Robbity

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your current level of cooking?
I am limited by low energy from CFS so do "one pot wonders" and have been using tinned ingredients. I have decided I must try making Keto bread and see how that goes...

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are lots of low carb/keto channels on Youtube that can help you learn to cook.
I am limited by low energy from CFS, not lack of knowledge, but have decided I must try making Keto bread and see how that goes...

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am limited by low energy from CFS so do "one pot wonders" and have been using tinned ingredients. I have decided I must try making Keto bread and see how that goes...

If you have the energy to make something as fiddly as that, you’ll be fine with simple stuff. There’s no need to even cook your food unless you want hot stuff. If you’re buying tins then look for meaty things to heat up and eat that with some boiled green beans with cheese on for example.
Could you fry some mushrooms and chicken? Pour some cream in the pan when they are done and that’s a lovely meal, add some spinach if you want. Boiled eggs, ham and cheese, bags of salad if you want green stuff to go with your proteins.
If you have a crock pot or oven, a joint of meat with whatever flavourings you like can go in there and be left to cook until done.
The vast majority of my hot food is cooked in one frying pan.

It’s about changing the rules you already have about food. Any low carb food can be eaten at any time, no need for specific meal times or certain food for meals.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pdmjoker - one of the great things about Diet Doctor is that you can alter the number of portions for many dishes - I've reduced and increased numbers with no problem and I tend to make a four-portion meal and then it keeps me going for four days. Perhaps you could find an easy recipe (there are lots) and make enough to keep you and your wife going for several meals (most freeze well): just add veggies or salad and you're good to go!

Reactions: pdmjoker

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have the energy to make something as fiddly as that, you’ll be fine with simple stuff. ...
I'm not yet sure whether I will be able to make the bread, but I must try. If successful, it will help make many easy meals.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not yet sure whether I will be able to make the bread, but I must try. If successful, it will help make many easy meals.

Meals are far easier to make than low carb bread. Most home made ones are nothing like bread either and made with expensive or unusual ingredients.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pdmjoker a really quick and easy low carb meal is omelette or scrambled eggs, just a few minutes to make and great if you are having a bad day in terms of your CFS.

Other quick "meals" are smoothies (frozen avocado, spinach, kale or broccoli ) and salad (wash and eat :) maybe with cheese or avocado and few nuts or tinned tuna/salmon/mackerel )

Do you have days where you have a bit more energy? if so maybe bulk cook and freeze meals such as chilli, casseroles etc on those days and freeze.

Do you have a slow cooker? I got two for Christmas :) I have found them to be great for low effort but tasty meals. I make veggie chilli, veggie curry etc for myself and meat and veg stews for family.

I serve my chilli with cauli rice, which I make in bulk from fresh caulis when they are on offer and freeze in portions. OR I make cauli mash with frozen cauliflower, cook in microwave and mash with lots of butter or cream Yum

Have you tried 1 minute "bread" in microwave - two versions below:

One Minute Muffin/bun
Servings: 1
Ingredients
1/4 c. Almond Flour OR 1 tablesppon coconut flour
2 Tbsp. Golden Flaxseed Meal
Pinch Sea Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1 Large Egg

Cooking Directions
Melt butter in a 4 inch ramekin.
Whisk egg and then slowly drizzle in the melted butter.
To the egg and butter add flour, flaxseed and salt. Mix well with a spoon.
Sprinkle with baking powder and mix one more time.
Spoon into ramekin and microwave for one minute.
Remove from microwave with dish towel and invert on a cooling rack.
Split in half and toast! Slather with butter or make a sandwich

1 Minute Keto Muffins
Servings 1
Calories 113 kcal
Ingredients
1 large egg
2 tsp coconut flour
pinch baking soda
pinch salt
Instructions
1. Grease a ramekin dish with coconut oil or butter.
2. In a mug, mix all the ingredients together with a fork to ensure it is lump free.
3. Place the 1 minute keto muffin dough in the greased ramekin and cook in the microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
Alternatively, they can be baked in an oven, at 200C/400F for 12 minutes.
4. Cut in half and serve.

Hope these help