JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Further to that I think I may also have iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome as I had the moon face weight gain and bruising on my arms and such, when pointed out the bruising was just told it's a result of the meds yeh like the diabetes is.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I note the phrase 'detectable c-peptide'.

I would have liked something clearer, but a little googling turned up some research suggesting that 29% of type Is show detectable c-peptide.

Several articles available by googling "detectable c-peptide".

Reactions: ringi

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well Stephen Furst died of complications a couple of weeks ago so maybe being rich and famous doesn't help that much.

Among his many accomplishments he was author of a book titled "Confessions of a Couch Potato."

Fair enough! 63 is way too young to die, for sure. (Re Stephen Furst's of Animal House fame, June death from diabetes complications.) But as he was a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association I guess he wasn't going on the personal-low-carb chef, personal-trainer route? Being on the blower to Prof Taylor and Dr Mosley, and flying in to Dr Fung?

But the poor man had T2D since he was 17 - that is a long road to travel the T2 journey and be uncontrolled for a half of it? for sure. I see he was also a celebrity spokesperson for the American Heart Association too, and involved in Renal Support Network. Apparently he changed his diabetes control tactic about 23 years ago, when he was 40, but it (the wikipedia page) doesn't say how (wikiepedia and the guardian obit). Or what exactly the complication was he died of. I am assuming it was a stroke? Isn't that the main way we die too early from diabetes? Or was it from kidney failure? Anyone know?

Back in the day I was not an Animal House fan, not at all, so I can't imagine myself reading 'Confessions of a Couch Potato' - but has anyone else done so? Perhaps it has big hints on the route he took of T2D control? That so sadly did not work. But as it is AHA and ADA supported route I would say it was High Carb Low Fat, focussing on cholesterol as marker of heart risk, and taking insulin perhaps?

Argh. Way too young to die.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Because this thread is about the rowing champion doing good as a drug-induced T2/part T1? (isn't that his type of diabetes?), I thought I would post the wonderful conclusion in the piece posted in the link

Sir Steve Redgrave as an example.png

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Shame not all diabetics have 'expert support team' when diagnosed and equiped to deal with patients one-on-one.

I have no complaints with my diabetes care (excluding one diabetes nurse who nearly killed my 2nd unborn baby in hastings hospital).
Many people post here about their lack of diabetes support.

I wonder where we would all be with that team just to ourselves?

I don't take anything away from sportsmen or womens achievements but they shouldn't be accoladed for exquisite diabetes control when they have a team doing most of the work for them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Fair enough! 63 is way too young to die, for sure. (Re Stephen Furst's of Animal House fame, June death from diabetes complications.) But as he was a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association I guess he wasn't going on the personal-low-carb chef, personal-trainer route? Being on the blower to Prof Taylor and Dr Mosley, and flying in to Dr Fung?

But the poor man had T2D since he was 17 - that is a long road to travel the T2 journey and be uncontrolled for a half of it? for sure. I see he was also a celebrity spokesperson for the American Heart Association too, and involved in Renal Support Network. Apparently he changed his diabetes control tactic about 23 years ago, when he was 40, but it (the wikipedia page) doesn't say how (wikiepedia and the guardian obit). Or what exactly the complication was he died of. I am assuming it was a stroke? Isn't that the main way we die too early from diabetes? Or was it from kidney failure? Anyone know?

Back in the day I was not an Animal House fan, not at all, so I can't imagine myself reading 'Confessions of a Couch Potato' - but has anyone else done so? Perhaps it has big hints on the route he took of T2D control? That so sadly did not work. But as it is AHA and ADA supported route I would say it was High Carb Low Fat, focussing on cholesterol as marker of heart risk, and taking insulin perhaps?

Argh. Way too young to die.
Animal house was not all he did. One thing he did do was lose a lot of weight when he was told lose weight or lose your foot. By the way he as you say was diagnosed at 17 when his father died of diabetic complications his mother also died of diabetic complications and his sister who also had complications of diabetes committed suicide.

I do not know the details as they where not made public.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Further to that I think I may also have iatrogenic Cushing's syndrome as I had the moon face weight gain and bruising on my arms and such, when pointed out the bruising was just told it's a result of the meds yeh like the diabetes is.
Get that rechecked John. Insist. It is the 24hr urine collection test one, I think.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame not all diabetics have 'expert support team' when diagnosed and equiped to deal with patients one-on-one.

I have no complaints with my diabetes care (excluding one diabetes nurse who nearly killed my 2nd unborn baby in hastings hospital).
Many people post here about their lack of diabetes support.

I wonder where we would all be with that team just to ourselves?

I don't take anything away from sportsmen or womens achievements but they shouldn't be accoladed for exquisite diabetes control when they have a team doing most of the work for them.

Ickihun, I agree that the diabetes care received by any individual can be highly variable. Where I stand on your statement though is that however good any diabetes team is, they don't do most of the work for the diabetic. They play their part, but without the individual actually doing what they need to; day in day out, the best outcomes, achievable by the individual, bearing in mind other complicating co-morbidites and the like, will not be achieved.

The motivation has to come from within the individual. They are the ones putting in the hard yards.

Where athletes could be at an advantage is that they are used to living a very controlled life, in terms of training, eating, resting and measuring routines, relating to their chosen sport, so perhaps adding additional dimensions to those routines isn't quite the same challenge as it can be for others living a more free-style lifestyle.

Those are my views anyway.

Reactions: Struma

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My thoughts are that this is proof that 'You can't out-run a bad diet '. If Sir Steve hadn't been an athlete and had merely kept reasonably fit eating a reasonable amount of calories then his T2 diagnosis may have occurred 20 or so years down the line, if ever. To have that many calories in a day is for me unthinkable, that's a whole week's worth for some of us! Again, if he had taken the keto route to gain the extra calories he may never have got the diagnosis. Of course we will never know.

I remain an admirer of Sir Steve Redgrave, but abusing your body by consuming more calories than it is meant to take is a risk that the top athletes take.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun, I agree that the diabetes care received by any individual can be highly variable. Where I stand on your statement though is that however good any diabetes team is, they don't do most of the work for the diabetic. They play their part, but without the individual actually doing what they need to; day in day out, the best outcomes, achievable by the individual, bearing in mind other complicating co-morbidites and the like, will not be achieved.

The motivation has to come from within the individual. They are the ones putting in the hard yards.

Where athletes could be at an advantage is that they are used to living a very controlled life, in terms of training, eating, resting and measuring routines, relating to their chosen sport, so perhaps adding additional dimensions to those routines isn't quite the same challenge as it can be for others living a more free-style lifestyle.

Those are my views anyway.
The top athletes I've been around are told what to eat and when to eat it. It's very very disciplined.
So sorry I disagree that they do have a lot of my hard work done for them.
Many partners take that hassle away from some of our posters even. I don't get that luxury.
So I will say again.
I cannot fully praise a diabetic athlete or nutritionally carried person who has most of the hard work done for them!
Just like bariatric surgery.
More praise goes to those who do it without surgery but those who face death or surgery and get bullied or ridicule for chosing surgery are in my book brave.
They know they will be critised but ignore fools anyway.
Their life is more precious than ignorance.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More praise goes to those who do it without surgery but those who face death or surgery and get bullied or ridicule for chosing surgery are in my book brave.
Totally agree with you. Hugs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I cannot fully praise a diabetic athlete or nutritionally carried person who has most of the hard work done for them!

You'll find most top athletes will have nutritionists advising them @ickihun , from tennis players like Andy Murray through to F1 drivers like Lewis Hamilton, being advised on diet doesn't diminish their achievements in their chosen sport.

Edited to correct tag.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The top athletes I've been around are told what to eat and when to eat it. It's very very disciplined.
So sorry I disagree that they do have a lot of my hard work done for them.
Many partners take that hassle away from some of our posters even. I don't get that luxury.
So I will say again.

I'm not here to argue with you, but having someone tell an individual what and when to eat is only as good as that. If the person themselves don't carry out the action on a day to day basis, all they've had is a nice chat, and the results are unlikely to come. An advantaged person, whether elite athlete, very wealthy person, or however else we care to categorise it, would be foolhardy to just take the advice they are given without attempting to understand, and sense check the rationale behind it, but that's my personal view.

To be honest, I'm unfussed whether a diabetic achieves their best achievable well-being by taking meds, other interventions or without. We are all entitled to our conscious, informed choices, ideally backed up by on their own research and learning.

To an extent the person who achieves fantastic results without meds or other support isn't necessarily a hero or a super person. To a degree they got lucky, because at the time they made whatever changes they did, their bodies were able to recover to their good state. Those whose bodies may be more damaged, or they have other co-morbidities in play, may simply have that luxury, whatever efforts they themselves make.

That we believe differently is fine. It doesn't necessarily make either of us right. Most people do the best they can, with the tools available to them.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You'll find most top athletes will have nutritionists advising them @ickihun , from tennis players like Andy Murray through to F1 drivers like Lewis Hamilton, being advised on diet doesn't diminish their achievements in their chosen sport.

Edited to correct tag.
That's right.
On managing their diabetes by having a one to one personal nutritionist is definitely advantageous to most who post here. Right?
Most only see a dietician once a month for 20mins, I believe.
Having a team to help you get the best our of your body must be a fantastic advantage.
We'll I would do much better on it, that's for sure.
Remember I'm refering to overweight type2s, as I am. Not an athlete with a personal team, just for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Remember I'm refering to overweight type2s, as I am. Not an athlete with a personal team, just for me.

Hi @ickihun , my reply was in response to what you said about not fully praising a diabetic athletes because they are a nutritionally carried person, regardless if they are carried or not we do have to salute their achievements and give praise where praise is deserved.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi @ickihun , my reply was in response to what you said about not fully praising a diabetic athletes because they are a nutritionally carried person, regardless if they are carried or not we do have to salute their achievements and give praise where praise is deserved.
Definately. Our athletes are to be saluted for their dedication to the sport.