Sitagliptin 50mg

KimWheeler

I have just started on sitagliptin 50mg- 2 days. I was on 1000mg metformin sr but finally gave up on the explosive bowels after 2 years.
I'm shaking a lot and my bloods were 6.5 bedtime last night
9.7 on waking
Tablet at 9am
10.2 2 hours after eating 2 egg omlette
8.7 2 hours after lunch.
Still shaky / wobbly
Is this normal as i feel very wonky? Any suggestions? Thank you x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sitagliptin is usually well-tolerated. Those blood sugar levels are quite good and do not indicate you are having hypos. The shaking could be a side effect of the new tablets? BTW were the metformin tablets the Slow Release SR version? If not I would ask the GP to start you again but with the SR version which is much kinder on the bowels. What is your BMI/weight and what sort of diet do you have?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because your fasting and after eating results are a little high (ish), you may have had a drop in blood glucose levels and those symptoms are usually attributed to that.
It could be the stopping of metformin suddenly, if your body was used to as you say explosive issues!
Bear with it for now and keep testing.
Take it easy and if things don't improve, see your GP.
I have just started on sitagliptin 50mg- 2 days. I was on 1000mg metformin sr but finally gave up on the explosive bowels after 2 years.
I'm shaking a lot and my bloods were 6.5 bedtime last night
9.7 on waking
Tablet at 9am
10.2 2 hours after eating 2 egg omlette
8.7 2 hours after lunch.
Still shaky / wobbly
Is this normal as i feel very wonky? Any suggestions? Thank you x

Sitagliptin does have side effects, but not that I have experienced, and I take 100mg a day!

KimWheeler

Thank you all for replying. After i last posted my levels went up to 11.2. And i was still wobbly and shaky til about an hour ago. My GP said it could be the metformin SR still in my body and to keep testing. She expects it to settle down in the next couple of weeks. I hope not to go back on metformin SR.

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
Sounds rotten. I remember when I was on insulin that when my bloods went below 8 I would start to feel 'unwell' or not right. It was an unpleasant sensation and hard to describe. It was put down to my body 'adjusting' but I still felt like it was the start of a hypo. I have moved off insulin and even when my bloods go below 6 I feel fine.

Keep your eyes on it and I hope it does settle down for you

Reactions: KimWheeler