Type 2 Sitagliptin

Keza26313

hi guys
I was diagnosed in September last year, prescribed metformin twice a day and in January I moved to prolonged release. In May this year I stepped up a notch in my career as a drug and alcohol nurse into management and I have totally neglected myself, I didn’t like the effect of the prolonged metformin and having to live off gallons of loperamide, finally I pulled my finger out and seen my DN and she has changed me to sitagliptin and said to stop the metformin. Do any of you have any advice on this drug? I’ve never administered it so I don’t know much about it. Also she suggested there was a once daily injection I can be prescribed for weight loss? Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thank you x

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too was changed to prolonged release metformin and had the same result as you. I went back to the standard metformin and started to only have 2 meals per day, breakfast and lunch, and it is working although I still can't eat many things. Virtually no carbs at all so just meat, cheese, eggs, fish and veg.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sitagliptin may or may not help. If you have excess weight and high insulin resistance then it may not help as Sitagliptin enables the pancreas to release more insulin after a meal but T2s with insulin resistance may already have too much insulin. Injections of Victoza can help with weight loss. Your number one priority if not already doing it is to have a low carb diet with enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. It's sad to say that if you have been following NHS diet advice you will have been adding to your weight not reducing it. Until you break the cycle of any insulin resistance you will find BS control very difficult.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sitagliptin stimulates first insulin response, to offset the spike created by a carb laden meal. It is a dpp4 inhibitor. It will reduce your blood glucose levels because of this.
It would also help if you have reduced carbohydrate diet, higher than normal increase in saturated fats, portion size is important, exercise is important.
Getting a balanced diet suitable for your health is so important.