Sitaglyptin (Janumet)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After being on just metformin since diagnosis ten years ago, I started on Janumet (combination metformin and sitaglyptin) earlier this month

I read the following information online about sitaglyptin.

"Sitagliptin works to competitively inhibit the enzymedipeptidyl peptidase 4 (DPP-4). This enzyme breaks down the incretins GLP-1 and GIP, gastrointestinal hormones released in response to a meal. By preventing breakdown of GLP-1 and GIP, they are able to increase the secretion of insulin and suppress the release of glucagon by the alpha cells of the pancreas. This drives blood glucose levels towards normal. As the blood glucose level approaches normal, the amounts of insulin released and glucagon suppressed diminishes, thus tending to prevent an "overshoot" and subsequent low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which is seen with some other oral hypoglycemic agents.
Sitagliptin has been shown to lower HbA1c level by about 0.7% points versus placebo. It is slightly less effective than metformin when used as a monotherapy. It does not cause weight gain and has less hypoglycemia compared to sulfonylureas. Sitagliptin is recommended as a second-line drug (in combination with other drugs) after the combination of diet/exercise and metformin fails."

From this I understand that, for the first time, I am now on medication that induces my pancreas to produce insulin and not produce glucagon by suppressing the action of an enzyme that breaks down gastrointestinal hormones produced in response to a meal.

This is a worry in case I am causing further damage to my bets cells through squeezing more insulin out of them

But according to the above article as blood glucose lowers to normal levels "the amounts of insulin released and glucagon suppressed diminishes, thus tending to prevent an "overshoot" and subsequent low blood sugar (hypoglycemia),".

I low carb and my after meal glucose counts have been well behaved (with the aid admittedly of one 50/859 Janumet in the morning and the same in the evenings). As you can see from the graph over the last fourteen days my counts per meal were:

Before Breakfast: range from 95 to 128 with average 111 mg/dl (in mmol/l 5,3 to 7,1 with an average of 6,2)
After breakfast: range from 110 to 127 with average of 117 mg/dl (in mmol/l 6,1 to 7,0 with average 6,5 so average rise 0,3)

Before lunch: range from 86 to 127 with an average of 102 mg/dl (in mmol/l 4,8 to 7,1with 5,7 average)
After lunch: range from 84 to 130 with an average of 107mg/dl ( in mmol/l range from 4,7 to 7,2 with 5,9 average so average rise 0,2)

Before dinner: range from 86 to 122 with average of 101 mg/dl ( in mmol/l 4,8 to 6,8 with average 5,6)
After dinner: range from 93 to 117 with average of 109 mg /dl ( in mmol/l 5,3 to 6,5 with 6,1 average so average rise 0,5)

My overall average count over the same 14 day period is 110 mg/dl (6,1 mmol/l), which if I can maintain will lead to a predicted hba1c of about 5,5% ( 36 mmol/mol). A non diabetic score and a huge improvement on my last score of 9,6% (81 mmol).

Apologies for the avalanche of numbers and the length of the post but I had to give both the numbers that I use and those that would be understood by must of the users of the forum.

Whichever set of numbers we use, the easy conclusion is that I am happy with them.

But the nagging thought at the back of my mind is whether the sitagliptin is doing damage. Perhaps as I low carb anyway its action on the pancreas is limited and I should not worry unduly.

Should I let things be as they are since I am doing well on it ?

Or should I ask to return to my previous metformin only regime?

I am not sure about way forward.

Perhaps the sensible thing to do is let things be until my next actual hba1c review and discuss with my doctor then.

But my doctor belongs to the "diabetes will progressively worsen school" and thinks that more medication over time is almost inevitable. Having said that, when I suggested reducing the level of sitagliptin by half he was happy to leave it up to me based on my glucose counts.

I am not sure I am at that point yet though.

Screenshot_20190623-210716_DiabetesM.jpeg

Last edited:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
May I ask, why were you put onto sulfonylureas when your HbA1c was a normal 5.2%? That's an amazing result.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask, why were you put onto sulfonylureas when your HbA1c was a normal 5.2%? That's an amazing result.
I believe that sitaglyptin is a different category of drug than sulfonylureas. But your question still remains valid. Why was I put on extra medication.

Please accept my apologies if you read the 5,2% in my signature line. That is an older result from about 2 years ago not my latest score which was a 9.6%. I am on the app and signature lines are not visible when using the app. I fell off the wagon and became very careless with my diabetes treatment between these two hba1c scores.

I jumped back on the wagon about a month ago and this graph shows my progress since. Initially I was just on the metformin, same as I had always been - but I was prescribed the extra medication on my request when I complained that I was finding it really hard to get my levels down having to eliminate almost all carbs from my diet and still staying in the 120-130 level.

To be honest I always intended the extra medication as a short term measure hopefully, a way of reducing the pressure of regaining control at a time when I am already under considerable pressure mentally both due to work and because of other health worries.

Also I was losing too much weight so needed to twick the diet and could not do this I feared and keep control of my glucose on just metformin.

In reality introducing the sitaglyptin has made only a marginal difference to my diet. I still low carb but I am a little bit more relaxed about it allowing myself a fruit a day or some very small quantities of say rice ( a large spoonful) with meals or to steal a couple of potatoes chips from my wife's plate.

It has made a big difference on how confident and relaxed I feel about controlling glucose.

So I do not regret going on it.

But I still wonder whether there are adverse consequences to going on the extra medication and if so, whether and at what point I should consider reducing it or coming off it altogether.
Screenshot_20190622-065221_DiabetesM.jpeg

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @pavlosn,
Hope to find you well.

I have been on sitagliptin for about four years now and no side effects.
My endocrinologist did the necessary eOGTTs to find the right dosage and was delighted with the change the drug made during the glucose test.
You are right about the drug changing the initial insulin response and the lower glucagon response.
The reason for this is usually because of high insulin resistance, low initial insulin response and higher than average glucose derived from the food you have eaten.
The drug stops the high glucose response (spike) and if this is done then the need for the overshoot is avoided. So that it doesn't increase the insulin resistance.

My last eOGTT test, I had the spike of only 8.2 rather than the usual double figures, but I still had the insulin overshoot and still went hypo. But it wasn't as severe as my usual glucose tolerance test hypo.

Because of my condition, the drug is a safety net if I have something that I am intolerant to. But I still go very low carb because this ensures that I don't go through the rollercoaster ride of hypers then hypos.
Too much carbs and it triggers the hyper, if I hyper, I have an insulin overshoot, I go hypo!
No hypers, no hypos!

To sum up, because I don't eat carbs, I don't have Hypoglycaemia, I have not had a hypo since my last eOGTT. I believe that sitagliptin has played a role in this.

Best wishes

Reactions: pavlosn