Skin healing HELP - Cream for cannula

Tori90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Everyone,

Got a quick question! I am a pump user but really struggling with my skin especially after removing the cannula. The skin take ages to heal and has a scare for month and the advice leaves a rash for weeks. I look like a pin cushion. Does anyone have any cream they would suggest.
I have used Sudocream, savlon cream, various emollient creams and other creams!

But nothing is helping the skin heal!

I have lipoatrophy in 3 places so can’t use these areas so I need the others to heal asap

Many thanks in advance
Tori

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome to the forum @Tori90

That sounds very painful for you. I'd suggest using either Cavilon Spray or Sorbaderm spray prior to inserting your cannulas, which hopefully will prevent you from getting a rash.
You don't say which pump you're using, but if it's a tubed one, it may also be worth trying a different cannula.

Tori90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your help.

Is more the rash after taking them out! And the scaring and healing time after.

I use the Ypso pump had a different cannula before but did not work. I think they changed the stickers! I am happy with these cannulas but just not the healing time after or the rash from removing!

So looking for a good cream to help with skin help.

Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cavilon cream is good for helping damaged skin to heal, so would be good for the scarring and the rash. Personally I'd use the barrier spray before to hopefully prevent the rash in the first place if it's caused by the adhesive on the cannulas, and then Cavilon cream after removing the cannula to aid healing. It worked well for me when I was using Omnipod.

Reactions: Tori90 and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Tori90 and welcome to the forums.

I'm not a pump user (starting at the end of the month) but I too have issues with an allergic reaction to sensors (and some lipoatrophy). I use cavilon cream before I insert my cgm and it definitely helps. I might now try @Hopeful34 's suggestion and use it for aftercare too.

I hope you find a solution. (And if you do, please share it here as you aren't alone with these issues.)

Tori90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cavilon cream is good for helping damaged skin to heal, so would be good for the scarring and the rash. Personally I'd use the barrier spray before to hopefully prevent the rash in the first place if it's caused by the adhesive on the cannulas, and then Cavilon cream after removing the cannula to aid healing. It worked well for me when I was using Omnipod.

Perfect thanks will try thanks for explaining

Tori90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Tori90 and welcome to the forums.

I'm not a pump user (starting at the end of the month) but I too have issues with an allergic reaction to sensors (and some lipoatrophy). I use cavilon cream before I insert my cgm and it definitely helps. I might now try @Hopeful34 's suggestion and use it for aftercare too.

I hope you find a solution. (And if you do, please share it here as you aren't alone with these issues.)

Perfect thank you! I will as had some very helpful advice so far.

I am sure you will enjoy the pump I love it apart from my scaring!

All the best

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Hello Everyone,

Got a quick question! I am a pump user but really struggling with my skin especially after removing the cannula. The skin take ages to heal and has a scare for month and the advice leaves a rash for weeks. I look like a pin cushion. Does anyone have any cream they would suggest.
I have used Sudocream, savlon cream, various emollient creams and other creams!

But nothing is helping the skin heal!

I have lipoatrophy in 3 places so can’t use these areas so I need the others to heal asap

Many thanks in advance
Tori
I get a slight rash using omnipod but I recently bought a pack of skintac. This is applied before the canula as its a barrier between skin and cannula. Since using I get nothing it's clean. But I bought it to improve adhesion, it is very much improved. Bought it off ebay but cheaper if bought direct.

Reactions: EllieM