skipping meals/routine

howie

when i was first diagnosed their was a big emphasis on routine, 'don't skip meals', 'eat within certain time frames' etc.

i don't find skipping meals a problem, i find my levels are more stable when i don't eat. is this way of thinking just left over from when people couldn't check their BG's and for people who still choose not too? sometimes i have 2 meals a day, sometimes 4 and it doesn't make a difference to my control. i started of paranoid that if i didn't eat on time i'd 'hypo'.

i am strict with my basal, always on the dot. + I don't find messing with my sleeping routine a problem either.

are these just myths that the nurses tell people or do some people find they have to stick to a strict routine to maintain good BG's?

howie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are keeping well, confirmed by blood tests, Carry on.
Hana

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Historically - before the advent of basal/bolus therapy and faster-acting insulins - it was quite important to stick to a fairly strict routine and not skip meals. This was because on only 1 or 2 injections a day you couldn't stop the insulin already injected from reducing blood sugar, leading to a hypo if you did forget lunch etc. I guess this is still the case if you're not on basal/bolus or are still using an early slower insulin, progress is a wonderful thing!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, I find that keeping fairly regular meals helps. Two major reasons:
If I skip breakfast my levels rise by about 2mmol, if I have a even a very small breakfast with appropriate insulin my level normally be in target at lunchtime. Obviously a mild form of dawn phemena as this doesn't happen if I miss lunch
If I eat late, my levels tend to be higher overnight. (whether that's because of the type of meal eaten late ( perhaps eaten out) or the timing, I don't know. Its certainly difficult to be sure of what your glucose level signifies at bedtime if its still within 3 hours of the mealtime bolus.