Skydiving License and type 1

AmarChana

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

I was looking to do my skydiving license (AFF in the UK) recently but decided to look at the rules and regulations and was met with disappointment. I just wanted some clarification as to whether it is possible to do? The regulation forms state that “some forms of diabetes” aren’t able to attain a license. Just wondered if anyone here has managed to skydive solo/ get their license in the UK?

many thanks

Reactions: david4503

Trix9

Hey there! It's possible! I did my AFF over 10 years ago, though I no longer skydive. You just need your medical form signing. My GP refused to sign mine on the advice of the skydiving medical people (blanket ban), but my diabetes consultant at the time did. He didn't see any reason not too, the only advice was too run my bloods slightly higher than usual to guard against hypos. I never had any issues. Good luck!

Reactions: david4503

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may be the dumbest thing I’ve heard today — and I’ve heard a bunch of dumb things today. You’re not flying the plane, you’re jumping out of it. That still takes some training but you’re not putting anyone else’s life at risk by being diabetic. Besides, it’s a very short trip down. You can always pop a few tabs when you get there. Between this and the driving requirements for users of insulin, I’m beginning to think they also issue licenses to breathe over there in the UK.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@david4503 It's more to do with insurance and liability if anything was to go wrong, companies don't like paying out large sums of cash. I've only done one skydive since being t1 but wasn't even asked about it, my instructor had zero interest in my t1 which was a relief after all the build up and worry beforehand. I knew I only had 30 mins before I was dropped and the excitement pushed my levels high so no need to worry at all, except the parachute not opening of course :hilarious:

david4503

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
^I thought about liability but I don’t see how there is additional risk with a diabetic (apparently your instructor also felt that way). I doubt there are any statistics on this and it’s hard to even imagine a scenario where diabetes would be an additional risk factor. All that’s left is some amorphous, unspecified fear about diabetics somehow being higher-risk individuals, whatever they’re doing.

This might also explain the UK driving requirements, particularly needing medical approval to get and keep a license if you’re on insulin. Is there sufficient statistical evidence to support this policy either? I’m not aware of any such liability queasiness with diabetics driving in the U.S. and rates are no higher for us — and there isn’t a more litigious country on Earth.