Sliding scale in labour - type 1 diabetes

PerryHan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 diabetics for 17+ years and use a CGM to ensure my glucose is well controlled, even throughout pregnancy and into the third trimester I have been 80% or more in range.

Currently at 30 weeks pregnant my baby is measuring at just below average size and is as far as I can see, healthy. I have been told that I will need to be induced at 37 weeks which I have come to accept however have been told that ‘as standard’ I will be put on a sliding scale rather than being able to manage my sugars as I usually would. Do I have the right to refuse the sliding scale during labour?

ironman81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told you can refuse it although they don’t advertise it, I’m a capable individual and sliding scale is a nightmare (for patients and staff (hourly waking of patients for blood sugars which in reality is keeping patients awake until taken off sliding scale) which can be Day which is essentially torture, that being said, you need to discuss the risk factors associated with high bs in pregnancy as I’m a male and I can’t appreciate the needs of a pregnant woman, all the best with your delivery xx