Slim fast kick start

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am type 1, 40 years. Been eating a lot of takeaways and **** for ages now, stress eating, comfort eating etc. I have about 35 lbs to lose. I just can't get a grip on my eating. Been thinking I might do Slim Fast for 2 or 3 weeks. This is the only way I can see to cut my crsppy eating in it's tracks. Any one else used shakes as a kick start, with success?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julie54

It will be useful to read the thread - Newcastle Diet Journey - where there are others who are currently using the low calorie (diet shakes) approach to kick starting weight loss. Good Luck. Julie

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have a look at Atkins shakes, Boots online sell them, or amazon, you only use water in them and they are obviously lower in carbs.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
One thing to note about the Atklins shakes is that there are no added vitamins and minerals.

janggeungulk

Balance diet and regular exercise both are important for weight lose. If you want to lose weight then you should eat less and avoid oily food. You should drink lot of water because water helps in weight lose.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Doing a Slimfast diet for a couple of weeks will not do you any harm and you will almost certainly loose some weight but the problem is that without addressing the problem you have with food the weight you lose will go straight back on probably plus a bit when you return to your usual diet.

You may find it better to simply eat a smaller percentage of food on a day to day basis and then when the weight starts to come off slowly it might give you the motivation to carry on with it.

Short fixes generally dont work and often just set you on the yoyo dieting path which is the worst thing you can do.

Eat less food and dont snack and you will lose weight, and when you feel hungry and want to snack look at the time and tell yourself "only x hours till lunch/diner" and busy yourself with something if you are busy you will be less inclined to think of food.

Good luck whatever you decide :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would recommend newcastle diet, as it improves insulin sensitivity and it is very good for people with diabetes.

sorry, in this case I disagree, Catsbd, the original poster says she has had Type 1 diabetes for 40 years , the Newcastle diet is aimed at people who have T2 , Dr Taylor specifically says that it is not for T1s.
I also think such a low calorie diet would be very difficult to manage in terms of getting the insulin right. (and just about impossible if the original poster was on a mixed insulin regime)

Catsbd,
I'm assuming that you take a basal insulin and a rapid insulin for meals and are experienced in adjusting them.
The official Slim fast plan includes 2 shakes, 3 snacks and a low cal meal. I think that this could be difficult because those snacks are 15g carbs. If you don't inject for those snacks your glucose levels will rise beween meals, if you do then you run the risk of stacking insulin. If you miss out the snacks to avoid the problem then you will reduce your daily calories by 300 and end up on a very low cal diet and possibly hungry .
Edit: I've just looked back through your posts, I think that you should perhaps ask discuss this with your doctor or even ask to se a dietitian since you have had some problems with low iron levels and that may (don't know) be something to take into account.

To be honest, I agree with Sid that you need to look for an eating pattern that will work for you and one that you can keep up. I also think that one of the best ways to increase insulin sensitivity in T1 is to increase exercise.