1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Slimming World Hypos

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by xamyrushton, Jul 20, 2017.

1. xamyrushton

xamyrushton Type 1 · Newbie

Hi!
    I've recently started to do slimming world, I'm only following the plan from home not going to meetings.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I would have to syn hypo treatments? I'm hoping and thinking not!

2. **shell**

**shell** Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @xamyrushton
    I used to do Slimming World and never used to syn hypos however I did used to find myself having quite a few as my insulin regime needed adjusting with my weight loss and diet change.
    But it never hurt to keep a supply of Muller Light yoghurt in the fridge as they are free on SW but also really quite sugary.
    But never not treat a hypo for worry of going over your syns.

xoxox

• Like Like x 1
  3. xamyrushton

Sounds good! I never even thought about muller lights, I have some but my go to hypo treatment has always been coke haha! Thank you X

4. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Be aware that fat slows down the absorption of sugar which is why they now meanly don't recommend chocolate as a hypo treatment. Glucose sweets, lucozade, coca cola are all purer forms of easily accessible glucose. Don't imperil your health for a diet. Consult your doctor as to how to do this safely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. xamyrushton

Oh don't worry I'm not hesitating to treat hypos! Was just wondering how to deal with it on the slimming world front, whether to syn it or not. I'd never risk not treating it

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Regardless I'd just treat the hypo regardless @xamyrushton

Good luck with the SW Diet, my wife did the diet several years ago and lost 3 stone, she enjoyed it very much and met some nice people at the meetings, maybe reconsider joining the group if things don't go to plan for peer support.

7. xamyrushton

I think that's what I plan to do! thank you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Remember that faster the carb works, the less of it you will use for a hypos. Pure Glucose gives one of the largest BG increase for the least cal content. Half of table sugar converts into fat without increasing BG.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook